Do Guitar Dealers Deliberately Mislead Customers?

A Place to blow off some steam. If your annoyed, angry, generally fed up with things here is your place to let it all out.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do Guitar Dealers Deliberately Mislead Customers?

Unread post by Saul »

solid-vs-laminate.png
So when I say "guitar dealers" here I mean the likes of, Andertons, GAK, PMT and GuitarGuitar but no doubt there are plenty of others.

How are they misleading customers? By deliberately NOT giving the full spec for cheaper guitars. In particular, they will either not say a guitar has a laminated top or they will simply state the top layer wood such as "Spruce" or "Mahogany". Or in some cases, they simply omit the top wood altogether!

Many youtube guitar reviewers are guilty of the same thing. They will often say "Spruce top with Rosewood back and sides" but fail to mention it is "laminate" spruce and "laminate" back and sides. Sponsored reviews are not really reviews, they are product promotions.

Sometimes dealers will say things like "select spruce" in their specs but this is misleading, especially to those new to buying an acoustic guitar. The word "select" makes it sound like it is something special when in fact it is code for "laminate".

I have looked through the specs of 35 guitars tonight on all the dealers mentioned and they all either omit the top wood, call it "select" or just give names like "spruce" or "mahogany" without saying it is laminate.

It is definitely deliberate. They always manage to mention when a guitar has a solid top and then make a big deal out of it!

The reason they don't tell customers a guitar has a laminate top is that they know it will put people off buying.

We have put up with this situation for decades. Isn't it about time these dealers, who make a big song and dance about how great their customer services is, started levelling with us? Surely they know the spec of the guitars they sell right? :angry-tappingfoot:

Saul
Site Admin

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
YamahaUser

Re: Do Guitar Dealers Deliberately Mislead Customers?

Unread post by YamahaUser »

Saul, the behavior you've described falls under the general description of "lying by omission". It's a practice all too common in modern society. Unfortunately, it's not limited to guitars, nor is it the only way that people are deceitful towards each other. It's too bad, but a fact of life.

Yamaha A3000V2, A4000, MEP4, Motif XS6, Motif XF6, YS200
Fender Chroma Polaris | Korg T3EX, 05R/W | Roland M-GS64, U-220 | Etc.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

It is a fact of life that can very easily be changed though. Simply require dealers to give a full "truthful" spec for the instruments they sell? It's not too much to ask.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
YamahaUser

Unread post by YamahaUser »

Saul wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:57 pm It is a fact of life that can very easily be changed though. Simply require dealers to give a full "truthful" spec for the instruments they sell? It's not too much to ask.
I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor to change human/corporate failings. It's a worthy effort.

Yamaha A3000V2, A4000, MEP4, Motif XS6, Motif XF6, YS200
Fender Chroma Polaris | Korg T3EX, 05R/W | Roland M-GS64, U-220 | Etc.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

Advertising generally is rife with such "misdirections" . . .

One of my favourites is the Moniker "Pro" Normally used to excuse a higher price on an otherwise ordinary item . . .

"Award Winning" - is another. WHAT award? - The one you dreamt up at the meeting just now?

"75% of owners agree" = Three quarters of the staff in the office . . . . (the fourth was visiting the Loo) :roll:

"The Professions" USED to mean Medical or Legal. Now, every man and his dog is "professional"

The guy who clears your Wheelie-bin is a "Professional Cleansing Operative" - or a Dustman, as they used to be known :roll:

We are so BLITZED with this crap on TV, we are hardly aware of it any more - yet it DOES penetrate, subconciously :naughty:

Chris

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Curse! This means the end of the horned phonograph and the little doggie that looks in to it.

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

You are so right Chris! When did it become acceptable to lie and mislead about a product? I guess it has always been this way but it just seems so much worse now?

For some reason, I seem to expect a higher standard from music stores. I don't know why. They are businesses after all. Most of them really couldn't care less about the customer. All this "caring" and "we'll find the right guitar for you" nonsense is insulting. The customer is a walking wad of cash, THAT is how they see us. :(

There are a few exceptions of course, at least as far as customer service goes but even they are guilty of not listing the full spec of many of the instruments they sell, usually at the budget end of the market. Is it really so difficult to list the full spec for these guitars? I don't sell guitars but I know the spec AND I work creating websites, many with e-commerce attached and updating a listing takes literally 30 seconds! The point is, WHY was it not listed correctly in the first place?

You know I could even do with the disinterested customer service but, at least give the customer the correct details so they can make an informed choice. They are the reason your business exists after all :confusion-confused:

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

I think we need to be AWARE that the "Website" we visit, that PURPORTS to represent the Name at the top of it - i.e. THAT "Shop"

is a bit of an illusion. The content will be down to the individual who has been delegated to administer it.

Probably best it isn't the Office Junior . . . . . :roll:

All too often, Sites will show EVERYTHING in-stock . . . a visit, to actually purchase will often prove otherwise, resulting in

wasted time and fuel. Add to that the 20 minute wait before the phone is answered - in order to check stock . . . . .

. . . . no names mentioned here, Saul :lol: . . . . . and "buying online" becomes a whole different animal . . . .

. . and don't get me started on the "Parcel-Smashing" talents of various "Couriers" . . . .

Customer Service is becoming a thing of the past - with companies basking in their incredibly low staffing levels, thus

increasing profits without actually doing any work . . . . . . . Perfect. :clap:

Companies NEED to be more mindful of WHO administers THAT Website if they don't want to see their reputations going

Down the Toilet . . . . :naughty:

Chris

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Curse! This means the end of the horned phonograph and the little doggie that looks in to it.

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris