Is google captcha becoming a deterent for online shopping?

A Place to blow off some steam. If your annoyed, angry, generally fed up with things here is your place to let it all out.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Is google captcha becoming a deterent for online shopping?

Unread post by Rara »

I tried a bit of shopping online with a regular store, for parts to fix my gear ...

They've recently incorporated google captcha into the log in. :-/
nearly 4 minutes to sign in. Becasue I had to select squares until there were none left
and when there were none left click verify, guess what, go through the whole shenanigans again.

Then there was the contact form so I could inform them of a fault with there checkout process.
again google captcha, this time another 3 minutes or so.

Back to the bricks and morter stores for me, for the parts they do have. I really don't have the
patience any more for more added nonsense. The internet is intrusive enough as it is.

All in the name of security I know, sometimes I think it getting a bit overboard with overkill.

Who knows, buying instore might be like buying online one day.

Rara 0-)

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is google captcha becoming a deterent for online shopping?

Unread post by Saul »

They should be using Google Captcha V 3.0. That is invisible to the end-user and requires no interaction. It is what we use on this site and all others that I manage.

Really though, Google ReCaptcha is not that reliable in terms of security. It is useful to lessen the numbers of spammers who might fill in your contact forms etc but hackers cracked it a long time ago so it is now more of an irritant than a help.

When so-called "security" gets in the way of usability it is time to reevaluate. It is the main reason I ditched all the Q&A, image guessing nonsense for when people register here on the forum. Sure we get spammers but they are dealt with pretty quickly. For genuine users though it is so much easier to sign up and that is the main thing :)

Saul
Site Admin

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by jima »

+ 1 Morrison's uses it here to 'secure' the on-line grocery shopping and I find it extremely awkward and off-putting with relatively small images on a 27" display, so much so that my heart sinks every time it pops up. It is a real PITA. I am not surprised it is a Gurgle thing, yet another of their poorly implemented not-so-bright ideas (acquisitions?).

Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, MU100R, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s and Uno, Behringer DEQ2496, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by Rara »

I find this irritating and deterring. Quite a lot of sites
have started using this image captcha recently and when i see the "i'm not a robot"
I turn away and go somewhere else. Its getting to the point of having nowhere to go.

Rara 0-)

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

Yes indeed Rara . . . .

Unless you are American, the images won't mean much. I don't know what American Street Furniture Looks like,

or the terminology they use . . . . I'm either in first time, or I go elsewhere . . .

Chris

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Curse! This means the end of the horned phonograph and the little doggie that looks in to it.

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
squishmusic

Unread post by squishmusic »

+1 on this PITA!
It is more about Google and them training their blooming AI alogarhytms (yeah i cant spll it) than anything else.
We are doing the FREE legwork (eyework then) for their AI programs.
One day they'll take over the world and we'll have helped them!
#cyberdyne #terminated :violence-guntoting:

music@https://soundcloud.com/squishmusic
https://www.facebook.com/squishmusic/

Gear: Alesis Micron VA synth, Behringer TD-3-AcidMachine, Casio VL1, Korg Electribe ES2, Novation NovaIIX, Novation RemoteZeroSL, Yamaha DJX1, Yamaha QY70 + QY70, Yamaha SY35, A&H ZED10, Lexicon MX200, Echooos delay, Zoom B1on :: iOS: iMaschine, iKaossilator, Nanoloop, Nanostudio, iMPC.
Gear I miss: almost all of what I got rid of! :D Nostalgic for my Yamaha TG33 & RM1X. Good days with them :D
Gear on my WANT list: Who is selling?? Arturia Microfreak, Yamaha PSS380, Roland JV2080, Waldorf Blofeld!
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

squishmusic wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:46 am +1 on this PITA!
It is more about Google and them training their blooming AI alogarhytms (yeah i cant spll it) than anything else.
We are doing the FREE legwork (eyework then) for their AI programs.
One day they'll take over the world and we'll have helped them!
#cyberdyne #terminated :violence-guntoting:
That is probably true but it is the bargain we enter into in order to have a search facility such as Google, along with all the other apps and services it provides for "free". Of course, none of it is actually "free". We pay them with our data.

I don't often come across image Captcha these days. As I mentioned before, hackers got around that ages ago so all it does now is annoy potential customers. Whoever runs the IT departments of these stores needs to be retrained or sacked because they definitely are not up to speed on current events!

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
squishmusic

Yeah its hard to 'get-out' of Google. I've 'stopped' using their services now, except gmail which ive had 14yrs so phasing that out is slower.
This was prompted when I downloaded my Google Data a few years back and saw that some online purchases I made with a debit card were transacted via GooglePay unbeknown to me, that annoyed me and started me on my data-privacy crusade lol
Lets not even mention AWS who probably run/control (whatever u call it) 80% of the web!

Ive left the FAKEbook, whatsASS, SnapCRAP; I now see they were just annoying time-wasters. So much more time for hobbies nowadays.

I really hope Tim Berners Lee project takes off and soon. When he passes I think it will feel a great loss; I hope there are great minds behind him to keep the crusade going!
https://solidproject.org

*note to self* Must stop ranting :D

Gear: Alesis Micron VA synth, Behringer TD-3-AcidMachine, Casio VL1, Korg Electribe ES2, Novation NovaIIX, Novation RemoteZeroSL, Yamaha DJX1, Yamaha QY70 + QY70, Yamaha SY35, A&H ZED10, Lexicon MX200, Echooos delay, Zoom B1on :: iOS: iMaschine, iKaossilator, Nanoloop, Nanostudio, iMPC.
Gear I miss: almost all of what I got rid of! :D Nostalgic for my Yamaha TG33 & RM1X. Good days with them :D
Gear on my WANT list: Who is selling?? Arturia Microfreak, Yamaha PSS380, Roland JV2080, Waldorf Blofeld!
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

The problem is that there is just so much info about us online that trying to retrospectively remove it is nigh on impossible. It's just the world we live in.

There is definitely a case for dropping social media though. That is one HUGE time sink. The only reason I have FB/Twitter/LinkedIn right now is because of this forum and three of groups I admin. I could realistically drop two of those and not really miss anything.

Twitter I generally use only for posting links to this forum and for ranting at companies who deliver bad customer service. Amazing how quickly they respond and sort things out when you are talking about them on social media :lol: So it does have its uses :)

Google and it's search algorithms are part and parcel of my day job so I can't avoid it.

It is very hard to get the genie back in the bottle and I am not sure it can be done but I applaud anyone who can come up with a workable alternative.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by SysExJohn »

Yeah! I hate the d@mn thng too. :-(

Well, recently the UK eBay started this "Verify you're not a robot" malarky, so ... full of fury ... I decided I wasn't having it and went back to the login page again and redid the login.

Lo and behold, now it said "please enter you're mobile number" (no verfication this time) which you can answer "later" to, which I did,
and bingo, all of a sudden I was in. Now I do it this way every time. Some other sites do this too.

N.B. Most of the sites I login to moderately frequently are saved as bookmarks, so it's easy enough to hit the bookmark and go straight back to the login.

It may work for you, give it a try.

Mark you, I do have ublock origin running in the latest FireFox and that may help.

JohnG.

UW500; 2 x MU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560; AN1x; Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Finale 26; Sonar 7 PE and CbB.
XGworks v4; SQ01; SOL2. Garritan GPO5; COMB2; JABB3; IO; Organs; Steinway; World; Harps; CFX Concert Grand.
Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by Rara »

I have tried circumventing these captcha's ....
There were plugins for chrome (funny that ;-) ) and firefox to bypass these, giggle has since patched
those holes.

Part of some of the logins now is, they open up a new login window on top
of the window which is open with the java lightbox blackout underneath (another pet hate)
I have imagined these retailers are turning would be shoppers into the very people they're trying to protect themselves against.

They can't stop the good old fashoined ordering over the phone though, having to resort to such antiquated techniques ((i))
this should give them something to do for 5 minutes. what next? Use cash (whats that?), in store when its no longer in a hot spot? :lol:

Of the dozen sites I shop at, eight of them in the last three weeks have added this image captcha. Not happy.

Rara 0-)

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

Rara wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:01 pm They can't stop the good old fashoined ordering over the phone though,
Well,no . . . but AFTER you've pressed ONE for this, TWO for that, THREE for the other they can make you sit

through 15 minutes of "We also do . . . " until you are ALLOWED to speak to a human . . . . .

Very frustrating when your question is a "ONE-Liner . . . . . "

WHY NOT illegalise those machines and create 10s of thousands of TRAINED operators?

There's LAYERS of minor management types currently arranging paper clips into interesting patterns, or simply

polishing their chair-seats who'd give their eye-teeth for a worthwhile, challenging and FULFILLING job

. . . . . . just a little retraining needed . . . . . . . and you'd be a HERO to the buying public . . . . . . ((i)) ((i)) ((i))

[/rant]

Chris

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Curse! This means the end of the horned phonograph and the little doggie that looks in to it.

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
squishmusic

I just got a notification for this thread - weird, but never mind bcoz now I watched that YT skit and it was hilarious and shows how absurdity has become part of our day-2-day online lives
:)
Rara wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:45 pm

Rara 0-)

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Sometimes spammers post in a thread you are subbed to and hence the notification. Still, they have their uses :lol:

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

squishmusic

yeah, i checked my 2 notifs in here and saw the avatar-less profiles and sussed it all oot ;)