Carry On Brexit :)

A Place to blow off some steam. If your annoyed, angry, generally fed up with things here is your place to let it all out

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Carry On Brexit :)

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:12 pm

Carry On Brexit.png
I was going to stay well away from this subject but saw this and thought it pretty much summed up...in a humorous way, where we are at the moment :lol:

No matter which side of the debate we are on I think there is one thing most of us are pretty much in agreement about and that is what a complete hash of it our politicians have made?

Did no one consider the Northern Ireland situation back in 2016? It seems like it was only considered once it became a problem. Do we really pay these people all that money just to create a complete dogs dinner of the whole thing? I am sure there have been endless streams of "consultants" who have made huge amounts of money from us for doing next to nothing.

Not to mention all the party politics where the people we have elected seem far more interested in preserving their own positions than doing what is right for the country.

I can't help thinking that the money wasted would have been far better spent on public services and improving the countries creaking infrastructure.

Anyway, hopefully we are slowly moving to some sort of conclusion one way or the other. It should have been so much smoother a transition than this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Cayman Islands
jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Carry On Brexit :)

Unread post by jima » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Agreed, and thanks for the humorous interlude! I can only surmise that those who were eventually material in delivering BRExit didn't really believe the referendum result would go the way it went.
Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Loves keyboards but so little time :(
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Oh! No. 8O :?

Not here too? :x :naughty:

I come here to get away from bl**dy Brexit. :shhh:

Can we not declare the forum a Brexit free zone? :/:

Pleeeeeease? Pretty please? :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Mark you, I did have a little chuckle at the cartoon. :clap:
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:45 pm

I am with you there John, although brexit does actually have an "unseen" consequence on this site but that is for me to deal with.

Normally I would not post anything to do with brexit as it is too polarising a subject but it IS nice to be able to have a laugh about it all from time to time and let's face it, we are in the realms of panto now. Even the most ardent supporters of each camp just want a resolution and I don't think any of us envisage the ongoing farce we are now faced with. It is so tragic all you can do is laugh :/: :confusion-confused: :lol:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:56 pm

LOVE it - Saul . . . .

In a similar vein . . .

I have to recall that excellent bit of Script Writing, By Spike Milligan and Larry Stephens from

Series 7/Episode 22 of the Goon Show "The Trans-Africa Ship Canal"
<A Politician>: I move that as it is customary in our beloved country England, a man so totally unsuitable for the job, should be given the contract.
First Broadcast on March 3rd 1957 - So we've known about this "Custom" for Some Time . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

We also know that He who ignores History is destined to repeat it . . . :roll:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:57 pm

Good point, Chris. (thanks for the reminder of that episode.)

Hmmm!
Brexit, for my Susanne and me is more than just a talking point.
Susanne, being German, is concerned about her status here, and we're both worried about being able to travel back and forth freely.
We have a short holiday over there every year to meet up with her brother and mutual friends.

It beggars belief that our politicians, who are supposed at least to be adults, act like four year old children. (sorry kids, didn't mean to insult you.)
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:26 pm

I remember someone buying me a book of Spike Milligan's cartoons once...might have been my sister, anyway I spent probably a good 30 minutes rolling around on the floor hardly able to catch a breath I was laughing so much. The man was a comedy genius :)

As for politicians. Is it any wonder that people lose interest in politics and don't bother to vote. They really do behave like spoiled children having their toys taken away. It is embarrassing to see our parliament reduced to this bickering and self interest.

Everyone is trying to score political points without understanding that they are alienating themselves to the electorate. They seem so far removed from the public that it is fast looking like there is little point in many of them being there, because they certainly don't represent us.

I don't think there will be too many problems with travelling back and forth between the UK and EU. The only things I can think of are the need for an International Driving Permit if driving, although I cannot understand the reasoning behind that as it is only a translation of your UK license and if you didn't need it before why on earth would you need it now? Good way to make money of course :think:

There will also be a restriction of 90 days per stay but that is more than enough for most and of course you need to have at least 6 months left on your passport.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar United States of America
EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:21 pm

Saul wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:12 pm
I was going to stay well away from this subject but saw this and thought it pretty much summed up...in a humorous way, where we are at the moment :lol:
I have wanted to start a thread on this for months now, so that you would not stay away from the subject. :)

Does anyone take bets in the UK that Brexit won't happen? As for the referendum you better ask the current Greek prime minister how to turn a vote 180-degrees around and COMPLETELY ignore what the people asked him to do in that referendum he organized hoping to win it. The freaking politicians don't even know what the words dignity and self-respect mean, no matter the country.

The hell with the union. Each country is different and that is the way they should stay. The borders were created for a reason. We don't take them down because the Germans want to protect their currency against the dollar and are crazy about globalization.

DrF
Motif XF6, DeepMind 12D, MicroArranger, MicroKorg S, SY99, SY85, QS300, PSR1000, WX5, EX5R, A5000, TG500, TG55, RM50, QY700, QY100, QX5FD, MDF3, MJC8, EMX2, YDP2006, REV500, EMP700, EQ500U, MCS2, AW16G, Axiom Pro 49, AKAI Pro Advance 49, Arturia KeyLab mkII 61, and a few other things by Behringer, Evolution, Philips, Tascam, Technical Pro, Yamaha, etc, etc,... I wish I had time to use all this stuff; I am not even pro. :-)
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:25 pm

Indeed Saul . . . Spike was a monumental genius - and a National Treasure - I would suggest . . .

He had his problems as is well known - mostly due to being "Blown-Up" in WW2.

His love-hate relationship with the BBC is well documented, but it didn't stop them funding his Later Q-Series on TV.

His Anarchic style influenced many that followed, of course including the Monty Python crowd . . .

As to Brexit - I have already seen mentions of the "Green Card" for European Travel . . .

As to "other aspects" - as I have suggested before - Any activity that involves the making of MONEY - should not be affected -

unless they want wide-spread Riots in the Streets . . . (The French are particulary good at this)

Us Brits are traditionally "slow to anger", but hey - there are limits . . !!! and checking back to our last Civil War,

it should be noted that "When we go - WE GO!) :o

[/rant] 8)

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:07 pm

EX5_etc wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:21 pm
The borders were created for a reason.
Yes, indeed they ARE. (IMO) and I have always maintained this to be so. . . .

The Politicians, in their panic to increase revenue have allowed unrestrained immigration to provide cheap labour in

areas that us Brits have decided are below our dignity to work in . . . .So the MESS is partly our own doing. :roll:

This unfortunately leads to the import of Religions and lifestyles that are Alien to us - and when these start to become

more "vociferous" such that they impact on OUR Culture - it all gets out of hand . . .

and CONTINUING to force this down our throats while crying "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" is NOT going to make any friends . . . .
When in Rome - DO as the Romans Do
So I reiterate that very FINE point of <DrF>'s
National Boundaries are there for a REASON
Foreign Religions, Beliefs and Customs are well understood by the people inside those borders. They grew up with them.

If I'm interested - I'll visit those countries and see how it all works. And then I'll come home.

Of course - another approach would be to visit (say) Downtown Teheran - and start sounding-off about Islam and

Wailing about the lack of Churches. . . . :o

You'd be "disappeared" in about 10 minutes - NEVER to be seen again. :?

Mixing it up inside one Country is DIVISIVE and will almost certainly end in tears . . .

Just my opinion for what it's worth . . . 8) [/rant]

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:55 pm

I don't mind talking about Brexit but let's not turn it into an angry mud slinging discussion. It's all far too serious enough without us adding to it.

I am just wondering how it affects musicians? Is touring going to be more problematic without a deal or are we worrying about nothing?

What about the cost of instruments, software etc. Increase or decrease?

Can we really do deals that are better than we had within the EU? For example we THOUGHT we could do a good deal with Japan but we cannot. As they have a special trading status with the EU, part of the terms of that agreement is that they cannot do a better deal outside the EU. Their hands are tied. And that is the same with all other countries that currently have special statues with the EU, including China!

I don't think things are at all as straightforward as we thought they would be.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:07 pm

Indeed - it could be worrying" . . .

I sense the imminent arrival of the expression "Restrictive Practices" to this Discussion . . . .

NI for instance is German-based, is it not? Will the Price of their products be (adversely?) affected?

Too soon to enquire I guess, until a "deal" is done . . . but that could be a barometer we might watch?

Not forgetting Steinberg too of course . . . .

Where Politics is involved, consumers (voters?) are always last on the list for consideration (IME).

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

User avatar Ireland
squishmusic

Unread post by squishmusic » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:25 pm

Ive refrained from BrexShit posts; both reading and posting, but today I posted a placard as seen in the 'March' yesterday which I amused at so now I'll drop it here https://www.instagram.com/p/BvZXqdgHUrR/
Because that Carry on one was GOLD! :mrgreen: Those actor:character matchings are perfect and I suspect somewhere in the world there is a script underway..Ive countless times now said to some mates someone should get to work on a comedy-movie script as there's a goldmine of potential there! I reckon we'll be watching BrexShit the movie in less than 5 years! :P

But the UK parliament should melt into the ground in shame…I voted once in my life, that was a mistake and I shall never vote again! PS. Wasnt even allowed to in the Ref as I was classed as a *foreigner* :? having been abroad for 15y+ and by their reckoning that meant I can f##k off and have no say even though I plan(ned) to retire in UK…

I suppose I can afford to be a blasé and not give (too much) a shit about Brexit as I live in Sweden and have dual-nationality (well triple) so Im covered. Yep thats the selfish me talking (eeek) my only concerns are my Amazon/Ebay UK delivery getting here quick so no customs duty lol :roll:
music@https://soundcloud.com/squishmusic
https://www.facebook.com/squishmusic/

//
Gear 2019: Yamaha QY70, Alesis Micon, Novation RemoteZeroSL, Yamaha DJX1, Casio VL1, Yamaha MDF2 - - iOS: Nanoloop, iMaschine, Nanostudio, iMPC, Thicket.
Gear I miss: almost all of what I got rid of! :D Nostalgic for my Yamaha TG33 & RM1X. Good days with them :D
User avatar Spain
EB5AGV

Unread post by EB5AGV » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:04 pm

Saul wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:55 pm
I don't think things are at all as straightforward as we thought they would be.
I guess that is the key... and now, what? :confusion-confused:

I feel sorry for lots of people in the UK who didn't want to leave the EU and also for people who voted to leave and now find the truth is lots less glamorous, so to say.

Personally, I deal with a manufacturer of test equipment based in UK and also with a Japanese brand technical service central in EU, currently in UK (I wonder how much will it last there!). For me, if Brexit finally happens, it could be also the end of my buyings of used music gear and spares from the UK, as dealing with customs is not exactly what I enjoy the most :naughty:

So, well, time will tell what happens. At least we will keep using this forum regardless of new frontiers! :dance:

Jose
Jose Gavila

Yamaha DX7, TX81Z, 4x SY77, TG77, SPX990, SY85, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, DGX660, PSR-EW410, Genos
Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Pigments, Analog Lab 3, Piano V-2
Casio CT-X5000
Korg M1, Wavestation, X3, Triton Rack
Roland D-50, JV-1080
StudioLogic SL88 Studio
Steinberg Cubase Elements 10, The Grand 3
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:44 am

The problem is both leave and remain are right. Most people want to leave simply to get away from the bureaucracy of the EU's unelected leaders. The immigration thing is a bit of a red herring because not a lot will change. The biggest percentage of people coming to the UK is and always has been from OUTSIDE the EU and we already had control over that.

Sure we did have an influx of people from Europe but these things tend to balance out as home economies improve...which they do once part of the EU.

It has always been a source of frustration that any EU country wanting to deal with non EU countries has to go through an incredibly long winded process of getting that deal signed off by all member states. You can imagine how long that might take? So the lure of not having to go through that fiasco was quite tempting. Certainly NOT as clear cut as we were lead to believe though! AND more importantly it doesn't actually resolve anything because if we still want to trade with the EU all those deals will be taken into account. I am not even sure we will get any better terms outside the EU. What major countries have we signed up with so far?

In terms of remaining of course there is the free movement of people, a definite plus if you have ever done a road trip of Europe! Also of course you are free to settle and work anywhere you want which is another plus. Easy transport of goods across borders...unless of course you count the endless French strikes which seem to affect everyone except the French!

Some laws passed by the EU have been beneficial to us...and some not. Nearly all of which we would be keeping on leaving the EU anyway.

The biggest problem with the EU is, getting things done! When everything has to be discussed and negotiated amongst 28 member states, all of whom are vying for the best outcome...for them, everything takes an absolute age to decide upon.

However had we all known what a complete balls up the whole leaving process was going to be and how woefully inadequate our politicians were for the task I am pretty certain we would never have gotten on this rollercoaster in the first place. Thanks Cameron!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Return to “Don't Get Me Started!”