What the Future Holds?

A Place to blow off some steam. If your annoyed, angry, generally fed up with things here is your place to let it all out

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What the Future Holds?

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:59 am

I am sure Patrick will correct me on this but my understanding is that the American people have a right to bear arms because they act as a huge standing army. It is a deterrent to any country that might be daft enough to invade. Wasn't there something in the constitution about it?

Honestly though I think most of them are more likely to aid an invasion by their total lack of common sense. Probably end up shooting their own side...or shooting their own feet off.

They should just disarm everyone and start again. If they really must have guns at least make sure the people using them have more than two brain cells to rub together :/:
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
Advertisement
Electronic Music Production Courses from Loopmasters.com
User avatar United States of America
Patrick

Unread post by Patrick » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:02 am

Saul wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:44 am
But surely Trump is in cahoots with the gun lobby so there is no chance people's guns are going to be taken away?

We have never had guns here in the UK. Most of our police are still unarmed apart from tazer's and some harsh words :lol: We do of course have armed officers now but they are not the norm and generally speaking you only see them at airports and around the houses of parliament.

Even in countries where the police are armed such as France, the general population do not have guns.

Your northern neighbour Canada does have guns but a fraction of the crime rate. Why is that?

It just seems very odd to most of us that you can have ordinary civilians roaming the streets with assault rifles and no one is disarming them? If they did that here they would be in serious danger of being shot by the police or military. It just wouldn't be tolerated.

Still...you do have elections in November. Surely after all the damage he has done in the world and to the USA's reputation people are not going to vote Trump back in for another four years?

I do think that in some areas it is a culture thing, sort of, and or the Canadian laws are better as to why Canada has a better handle on the situation.
Also as parametric just said,
Americans citizens have access to the big weapons, and American gun laws make it as easy to buy a super gun as it is buying a pack of gum.

It really sucks that trump is only making the American situation worse.
Patrick

Unread post by Patrick » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:16 am

Saul wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:59 am
I am sure Patrick will correct me on this but my understanding is that the American people have a right to bear arms because they act as a huge standing army. It is a deterrent to any country that might be daft enough to invade. Wasn't there something in the constitution about it?

Honestly though I think most of them are more likely to aid an invasion by their total lack of common sense. Probably end up shooting their own side...or shooting their own feet off.

They should just disarm everyone and start again. If they really must have guns at least make sure the people using them have more than two brain cells to rub together :/:

We have armed citizens in America because when the country first started we had citizens form mallitias because we had no army.
That way we had an army of sorts.
Plus considering the time it was in.
Back when we needed guns to hunt for food, and fend of the Indians and Mexicans.
Even though my forefathers were the invaders from the Indians and Mexicans point of view.

Maybe that lends something to the problem of America.
We started off this country as invaders to the indigenous peoples, and all through are history fighting for a piece of ground that wasn't ours to begin with.
Passing that down through the generations.

We now have among the largest military in the world, yet America never disbanded the millitias.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:18 am

Saul wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:59 am
I am sure Patrick will correct me on this but my understanding is that the American people have a right to bear arms because they act as a huge standing army.
THAT is what I understand, but it only (I believe) applies if you are a MEMBER of an aforesaid Official Standing Army . . .

Which I guess means "National Guard" (in the States) or similarly Territorial Army, over here . . . .

I don't believe The Terriers are allowed to hold weapons other than in the Barracks, or on manoeuvrers?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:20 am

It's certainly a difficult situation. Are there any stats on just how many guns are out there?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
Patrick

Unread post by Patrick » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:25 am

BTW,
I like the way you guys think across the pond. :)
Patrick

Unread post by Patrick » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:27 am

Saul wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:20 am
It's certainly a difficult situation. Are there any stats on just how many guns are out there?
I do not know the stats, but my guess would be,
too many, lol.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:53 am

As Human beings - we LIKE to think we're top of the tree/state of the art/king of the castle - but are we?

As soon as SOMEONE discovered that Humans don't do well with a hole in them . . . . What did we do?

We invented a machine for making holes in them :lol: :roll:

You couldn't really make it up - could you . . . . . ? :lol:

para
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:53 am

You are absolutely right Chris. I think it all points back to that film 'Idiocracy' It looks increasingly like a very unintended vision of the future.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Return to “Don't Get Me Started!”