Native Instruments A Series Keyboard - No Velocity Curve Adjustment?

A Place to blow off some steam. If your annoyed, angry, generally fed up with things here is your place to let it all out.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: Native Instruments A Series Keyboard - No Velocity Curve Adjustment?

Unread post by Saul »

Yes indeed, we are an odd lot over this side of the pond ;)

Dealers here are often so tight-fisted it is unbelievable!

Many years ago I went into a store in Leeds which happily no longer exists...the store that is, not Leeds :lol: I was spending a fair bit of cash on a new Roland Fantom X6 and a Line 6 Variax. The only Variax they had was the one I tried out on the shop floor. As it had been used by quite a few potential customers the strings had seen better days so I asked for a fresh set to be thrown in with the deal. Their response? NO! "We never do that". I took myself and my wad of cash elsewhere.

Even then it was a fiasco. I purchased the keyboard from another store and when I arrived home and opened the box I could see they had sold me a customer return! The manual was missing along with the protective bag that covers the keyboard and the SD Card that came with it. They tried to tell me it was brand new and had only been opened to show another customer the manual? :shock: I then had to go through a protracted saga of arguing the point with both Roland and the store.

Thankfully customer protection in the UK has been beefed up since then and it is no longer so easy to get away with selling customer returns as new products and at full retail price. :)

I can understand bricks and mortar stores being reluctant to discount. Their overheads are usually huge so every penny counts but, these big online retailers have no excuse whatsoever.

I am still waiting to hear back from GAK about returning this NI A49. So far their contact form, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn has all failed to elicit a response. I would phone but I like a "virtual" paper trail for everything. I have agreed to things on the phone before only to be told later that they have no record of it. They better respond soon or they may be getting some very unwanted publicity on the run up to Christmas! :twisted:

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
Loopmasters Sale
puremusic
Location.: USA

Unread post by puremusic »

Oh Gak, that's a new one on me. I do buy internationally once in a blue moon, I remember once buying my audio interface, it was actually far cheaper to get it from the Netherlands, and sometimes there's stuff not sold in the US in Thomann. Thomann did very nicely by me once with international return shipping too.

Over here, I just got my BF20 coupon code from WWBW, that's 20% off, and if it doesn't work a popup comes up asking you to chat with a rep, who will make a comparable offer when you ask for a quote, if at all possible. Some reps and their managers will give a good discount, some won't, but I can always wait.

So now I get to decide whether to get one of two electric guitars I've had my eye on a Tremonti or an ESP 8 string -- not a guitarist here, it's just for short passages for music composition where a sampled instrument would lack expression, and trying to decide between good looks and extra range. I am leaning towards looks this time, and just changing the scale to get what I want, I like the PRS bird inlays a lot.

I first got into haggling with music gear -- before that I'd only do it for a car (mandatory), or rarely at a garage sale/flea market, where it can be expected. But when I bought my first piano, once I hit 2K prices, I wanted a discount if possible, just like with a car. Nowadays if it's $200 or more, I either aim for an ongoing sale discount or try to haggle a little, if it doesn't work, I can always wait a few months for the next sale, they're always going on. Some discounts can be surprisingly deep. When I dared to buy a single platinum Mogami cable and a strap for my electric cello got near 25% off the price. These boutique type items can take the most slashing and still make a profit no doubt. And it was worth the price in the end -- one cable, and sounded better than any other cable, my cable had been the weakest link in the chain.

Did you wind up with a Roland Fantom X6 for the long haul? How was it? And how's it going looking for a Fusion? Are you giving up on that in favor of a MIDI controller or aiming for both?

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - NS Wav5C Electric Cello - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
puremusic

Seriously to lose a big sale over some guitar strings, I can only shake my head! And recieving a return as new is always a dissappointment.

Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I have owned 3 Roland Fantom Xs' :) Plus a Fantom XA and a Fantom G. I have been looking for another but they are holding their price which, given this is a 15-year-old board is quite something! I would go as far as to say it is one of the best keyboards Roland has ever made. I only sold my previous boards because I don't have the room...or the finances to have more than one keyboard at a time.

The Alesis Fusion may still be on the cards. The one I was looking to buy just after lockdown 2 kicked in has gone from eBay. Not sure if the guy sold it or just changed his mind. There will no doubt be others but they need to pop up at a time that coincides with me having the spare cash to buy and these days that is a rare occurrence :(

I had to sell all my other boards as the effects of Covid started to bite and I lost customers. My day job is websites, hosting and site maintenance. Several of my customers went out of business and others were struggling to stay afloat. There is some light at the end of the tunnel though. As people have found themselves out of work they are shifting to being self-employed and are looking for websites again, although not at prices before Covid.

Anyway, that is why I was looking at a controller keyboard. I was going for the Arturia Essentials 49 to begin with but having used Native Instruments boards before and also knowing that it would integrate very well with my KOMPLETE SELECT software I thought I would give the A49 a go. Shame I didn't think to check about velocity curve adjustments beforehand :(

GAK has still not responded by the way so I left them a nice review on TrustPilot. No doubt that WILL get their attention ;)

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Just heard from GAK. Apparently, my email went into someone's mailbox who had moved teams and so it was missed? :think:

However, at least they are collecting the A49 on Monday and delivering the Arturia at the same time. Well, that's the theory anyway. Also, I don't have to arrange the collection myself so that's worth a few brownie points. (Y)

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

VIP

Unread post by shelly0624 »

It might be worth it to ask the Ebay seller if he still has the Alesis Fusion. They'll sometimes pull something off of Ebay if there is not enough interest or they hope to get more for it. If it hasn't sold, he might be willing to put it our there again for you to buy? I pulled a Casio keyboard off of the local Facebook marketplace page because a friend wanted to buy it .. months later.. I put it back on again and sold it quickly.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I will message the guy about the Fusion. Still would not be able to collect until the 2nd December but that is not so far off now :)

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Quick update on this.

The Native instruments A49 has been returned to GAK and they messaged me today to say they had received it (they arranged and paid for shipping). They also chopped £20 off the price of the Arturia Essential 49 which is replacing it and with luck, that keyboard should be with me by tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

So it looks like GAK came good in the end (Y)

I will report on the Arturia in another thread once I get a "hands-on" with it.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

This is good news! Hopefully the Arturia Essential 49 will be exactly what you need.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Well, it will do for now Shelly. Ideally, I would like a fully weighted keyboard but I just don't have space... it's taken up with guitars :lol:

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

puremusic

There's an untapped market for half sized fully weighted keyboards, I know a lot of piano players who want to travel with a good piano action. Some of them even pay big bucks to have a full sized one sawn in half and custom cased.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Yes, I have never quite understood why fully weighted keys are the preserve of the 88 note controller and synths.

I am not a "pianist" by any stretch of the imagination but I would definitely prefer weighted keys on a 49 or 61 note keyboard if it were an option.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

I have to set the touch sensitivity to light because of the RA. I'm glad I can do that or I wouldn't be able to play. Weighted keys would hurt.. :(

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

Saul wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:00 pm Yes, I have never quite understood why fully weighted keys are the preserve of the 88 note controller and synths.
Me neither - though I believe some of the 76-noters have Piano action . . . .

Chris

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

shelly0624 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:04 pm I have to set the touch sensitivity to light because of the RA. I'm glad I can do that or I wouldn't be able to play. Weighted keys would hurt.. :(
Good point! I wonder if anyone will ever come up with a way of making a keybed that can switch between fully weighted and synth action :think:

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook