The "State" of the <Music> Nation . . . . .

A Place to blow off some steam. If your annoyed, angry, generally fed up with things here is your place to let it all out

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

The "State" of the <Music> Nation . . . . .

Unread post by parametric »

In recent Years, I believe there has been a gradual realisation among the Music Manufacturers, that there is a HUGE

untapped market out there that promises rich pickings when correctly approached . . . .

I'm speaking of:

Those who have negligible interest in making Music

Those who have no inclination to get involved

Those who believe that Music is beyond them

And loads of others "On the fringe", so to speak . . . .

I have no Axe to grind with beginner Boards that supply Apps to help you learn, but I DO, with the notion that

Massive Success is merely a question of buying THAT Library, THAT board . . . . . .

(The one that has the <press here for a hit record> button. :roll:

Music is a CREATIVE ART and will require WORK and KNOWLEDGE if you are NOT to sound like every other person

who bought THAT Board, THAT Library or THAT pack of Midi Loops.

With Music, Garbage IN=Garbage OUT is very much the order of the day - and if you're serious about what you seek

to achieve then you'll sideline the AUTO-this, -that and the others . . .

Don't misunderstand . . . . Auto-accompaniments, styles etc. are GREAT for Jamming to, making up solo parts and

generally learning how to play in tempo etc . . . just not really for serious creative use (if you want to sound "original")

So - just be aware of the actual INTENT of these items, so you are not disappointed later - with the shortcomings.

Your efforts will be better rewarded learning how Music WORKS from the ground UP . . . .

IME - it takes WORK and TIME . . . . There is in all honestly no shortcuts - but that won't stop the Manufacturers trying

to convince you otherwise . . . . . . Remember - It's all about "Selling Product" . . . . . in the end. :lol:

[/Rant]

parametric 8-)

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: The "State" of the <Music> Nation . . . . .

Unread post by Saul »

Isn't it the case though that many a hit record has been made by someone with a guitar, three chords and something to say?

There is a plethora of young guitarists and keyboard players out there who come up with some wonderful songs and uncomplicated music that just sounds right. No training, no rules, they just did it their way. Music doesn't have to be complex to be good.

I have never subscribed to the notion that there should be rules in music...or anything else for that matter. Who created those rules? Who are they to say THIS is the way it should be done?

Some people of course will be very comfortable with rules. They need them in order to have a set framework to create within and are completely lost and directionless without them. But that doesn't mean everyone else should follow the same path.

There are plenty of people who feel very comfortable sounding like someone else. That is the main market for music software that promises "instant hits". They can very quickly sound like their idols without any music knowledge whatsoever. I'm fine with that. It doesn't affect me at all. They are happy and the music business makes money...some of which hopefully finds its way into developing new synths and guitars (Y)

And of course there is always the off chance that having dipped a toe in that admittedly simplistic music creation process, some of those people may want more and go on to learn an instrument and some advanced production techniques.

There is something for everyone these days. It's a great time to be into music and the creative process no matter what form that takes.
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

Unread post by shelly0624 »

I just can't get past a guitar mentality; that what I do should make up the whole sound. When I first started to play guitar, my fingering style was undeveloped (repetitious) so I let vocal style and a strong melody carry the song while I was learning. Then when I could do both, it felt like a complete package and it was my own. It was simple and soul-ish. I had something I wanted to say in lyrics and melody and the guitar was equally responsive to emotion and dynamics. We were one voice.

I blame my lack of skill and knowledge for not being able to utilize a huge palette of rhythms and auto-chord functions on arranger keyboards.. and also my limited preference for different genres.. but Lord, I pray that I will someday be able to fill in the keyboard accompaniment with intricate, soul-ish, and creative style. It would be a dream to be one voice with keyboard (now that I can't play guitar) and that would probably take on a simpler background. Yes Chris, that takes practice and work. (Probably why I favor piano sounds).

But a huge hats-off to people who can arrange rich and multi-layered pieces of music because they are able draw out all of the possibilities on an arranging keyboard. It is a playground, to be sure. Maybe a person who sings wants to put voice first and arrangement afterwards, I don't know, but there is lots to say for both. Both take skill and probably both approaches give people a sense of creative ownership. And maybe it makes it possible for people to reach farther in creating an arrangement, but yeah, auto-accompaniment and some of the other auto-features are something I tend to resist.

Maybe after I feel I have a better grasp of actually playing piano more fluidly, I'll start to play around with the other arranging features. Right now, I'm into how an instrument SOUNDS more than anything. I'm so glad for the pool of experience here and for people who have a diverse approach to their expression in music. I'll undoubtedly need all of it at some point. But a person needs to know how to PLAY first..both hands.

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

Unread post by Derek »

For years I thought I could get by without music theory (youth and arrogance), and then over the years I started learning more theory. It certainly has helped me.

And when you know the rules, then you don't always have to follow them. If it sounds good it sounds good. But knowing why things sound good is a big help.

My biggest learning resource though was when I started learning other peoples songs and breaking down the chord structures they use (and I don't mean just boring old 12 bar). Often I will take a chord structure of a popular song and turn it into a different order to get ideas.

Case in point: learning the music of Pink Floyd. Every single song is different in chords used and structure. Apart from Breathe reprise at the end of Time, which is of course a reprise.

Rick Wright has a love of jazz, and whilst I don't really like Jazz (New Orleans Jazz is good) and Pink Floyd is not jazzy, he uses a lot of jazz chords which is what flavours the music and helps to give it that Pink Floyd vibe. For example, in "Hey You" instead of playing Em he plays Em9 and what a difference that extra note makes to the tone of the song. In the same song in the "worms breakdown" there is a reprise of the Echoes "ping" and it seems to be receding and going away from you. The song is in 4/4 but over the 4/4 of the main song the ping is played in 5/4, so it is slipping back a beat in each bar. Genius. If I hadn't had leant that song, I wouldn't have picked up those tricks.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

Unread post by shelly0624 »

That's a great song-writing tip, Derek :P

ArmandoGainn

Unread post by ArmandoGainn »

I think I learned music theory solely to completely ignore it for the rest of my life so far.. :lol:
Some of the more successful ditties I've made have come from the ugliest or most 'improper' beginnings that would never make it to a loop library.

But.. There is something to be said for taking one of these ultra-generic sound/loop packs and mangling it beyond recognition to make something interesting out of it.