The Mellotron Story - Narrated by Rick Wakeman

A Place to blow off some steam. If your annoyed, angry, generally fed up with things here is your place to let it all out

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

The Mellotron Story - Narrated by Rick Wakeman

Unread post by parametric »

I'm sure I have the UNBROKEN version around somewhere . . . . . I'll look it out . . . .

[Stop Press - it's been found by one of our members. Huge THANKS]

Here it is - UNSPOILED:
Program Copyright is Duly acknowledged ©BBC. Included Musical Quotes are © their respective owners/creators
Mellotron_Story_Narrated_by_Rick_Wakeman BBC 12_17_97.mp3
(24.59 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
THIS is what it has now become on YT . . . . .

Reason?:
Note: due to copyright issues, some songs are deleted from the video, leaving silence for a time.

SO - Rather than have the free publicity - and REMINDERS of the good works that were done with the "Tron", a few disgruntled

Artists have chosen to throw their toys out of the Pram - and SPOIL a very interesting documentary in the process. . . . :roll:

As Frank Zappa once said - Hydrogen is NOT the most plentiful substance in the Universe . . . . . . Stupidity IS . . . .

parametric
Last edited by parametric on Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unspoiled version has been found and all © acknowledged . . . .

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Australia

Re: The Mellotron Story - Narrated by Rick Wakeman

Unread post by Rara »

parametric wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:52 am
I'm sure I have the UNBROKEN version around somewhere . . . . . I'll look it out . . . .

THIS is what it has now become on YT . . . . .

Reason?:
Note: due to copyright issues, some songs are deleted from the video, leaving silence for a time.
SO - Rather than have the free publicity - and REMINDERS of the good works that were done with the "Tron", a few disgruntled

Artists have chosen to throw their toys out of the Pram - and SPOIL a very interesting documentary in the process. . . . :roll:

As Frank Zappa once said - Hydrogen is NOT the most plentiful substance in the Universe . . . . . . Stupidity IS . . . .

parametric
This should be allowed as is, educational
(this what a documentary is supposed to be :roll: ) under fair use clause.
Otherwise what is the point of a demonstration of anything musical?

Rara 0-)

puremusic
Location.: USA

Unread post by puremusic »

I really feel like the Mellotron expemplifies the 'life' you get with analog. The wow, the flutter, the variable sounds with how you press the keys. The very idea of every sample being tape based.. It's really something.

One of these days I'll get a reel to reel tape recorder just to add some more analog life to my music.

Be glad to hear that Mellotron of your sometime!
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - NS Wav5C Electric Cello - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

FailedMuso

Unread post by FailedMuso »

parametric wrote:

parametric
It is rarely the artist and more often YouTube's algorithms that finds this stuff. Many of these algo's were put in place after labels threatened legal action against YT for facilitating the publication of copyrighted content :roll:
Rob Puricelli
FAILEDMUSO.COM SOS Podcasts
Freelance Music Technologist, Writer, Podcaster, Consultant & Fairlight Restoration

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

It's a tough nut to crack for copyright holders. On the one hand, the publicity is welcome but on the other, if they are losing earnings from that publicity it can really damage their livelihood.

It does feel though like it has gone too far. Once it starts to impact on the actual material which in this case is simply a documentary about the Mellotron it starts to look a bit absurd?
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

FailedMuso

Unread post by FailedMuso »

Saul wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:51 pm
It's a tough nut to crack for copyright holders. On the one hand, the publicity is welcome but on the other, if they are losing earnings from that publicity it can really damage their livelihood.

It does feel though like it has gone too far. Once it starts to impact on the actual material which in this case is simply a documentary about the Mellotron it starts to look a bit absurd?
Tell me about it. In some live streams I've done, I've played a tiny clip of something, mostly other YouTube videos, telling our viewers to go watch that content, and then been told by YT that I've infringed someones copyright and they're now going to monetise our 2 hour video because of 10 seconds of audio that we are mostly talking over... :twisted:
Rob Puricelli
FAILEDMUSO.COM SOS Podcasts
Freelance Music Technologist, Writer, Podcaster, Consultant & Fairlight Restoration

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

That is a perfect example, Rob. It has become a minefield of greed and litigation. They have taken a good thing...protecting rights holders and making sure they get paid....and turned it into a money-making scam which is supported by an army of lawyers whose sole intention is to make matters 100 times worse and generate more work for themselves. :evil:
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Looking at it from the other end - we have Sky Fat-Wallet Mobile, who have paid for the first four bars (or so) of the Beach Boys

"Wouldn't it be Nice" (from "Pet Sounds") and present it roughly 4 times every 12 minutes on Commercial TV here in the UK . . .

The "Sponsored by . . . " version opens and closes each commercial break, and the Full(er) version Plays throughout the actual

Sky-Mobile Adverts . . . It's TOO BLXXDY OFTEN. 12 minutes later - Rinse and Repeat . . . . :twisted:

So much so that I now HATE the Beachboys . . . "Wouldn't it be Nice" if they changed the effing record? :x

What started as Product Awareness has now become INDOCTRINATION

I don't watch advertising on TV at all. In the evenings, when I'm on the Computer, Jan has the TV on behind me -

so I do hear a certain amount . . unfortunately.

As far as I'm concerned, the only value they have is a guide of what NOT to buy

. . . . guess who is actually paying for those ADs? :think:

I've complained TWICE to the Advertising Standards Agency about the Saturation-bombing nature of the Campaign . . .

Like THAT is going to do anything - with the Wolves in charge of the Fold :roll:

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Rara »

Youtube died when google bought it.
Since then has become a mosh pit of copyright police and adverts.
It's nothing more than a sponsorship platform now.

Rara. 0-)

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

YouTube is like a drug pusher. They encouraged all these "influencers" who got paid pretty well for promoting all sorts of rubbish and once the momentum built and people got hooked on relatively easy cash they nerfed the whole thing! Those "influencers" were then earning a fraction of what they got before but had come to rely on the platform for income and so started churning out endless crap videos in order to chase the ever-dwindling revenue stream.

In one way we were lucky. We got banned from Adsense and because that is how YouTube is monetised we were also banned from earning revenue from videos too. That came about because for years we had earned bugger all from Adsense but once I started promoting the site and traffic built the revenue increased. That caught the eye of the "AdSense Gestapo" and BOOM! Banned...forever! Can't appeal, can't even hold an Adsense account again.

So we have put ads in front of hundreds of millions of people over the past 10 years. Made a whopping $20 in a good month but mostly not even close and then when they actually have to start paying for all that exposure we get banned? And they do that to thousands of sites every month. Not only that but they KEEP any revenue you EARNED in that month!

And now they are hitting people with these completely ludicrous copyright claims and stealing revenue from the very "creators" who keep the whole platform rolling!

"Scammers" don't even come close to describing what YouTube and Google are :evil:
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: SE, Gothenburg

Unread post by Macke »

parametric wrote:
I believe I found the complete episode here:
Rick Wakeman tells the story of the mellotron the oddball proto-synthesizer pioneered by the beatles

Direct link to the audio file: http://ia801204.us.archive.org/0/items/ ... _17_97.mp3 (@Internet Archive)

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

HUGE Thanks Macke . . . . .

I've inserted it in the OP . . .. (Y)

Chris

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: SE, Gothenburg

Unread post by Macke »

parametric wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:22 am
HUGE Thanks Macke . . . . .

I've inserted it in the OP . . .. (Y)

Chris
Great. It's always interesting to hear the story about gear like this and find Rick Wakemans narrating soothing. (Y)

Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Rara »

(Y) Thankyou for the mp3, a good listen.

Rara 0-)