Can't people read, or are they just lazy?

A Place to blow off some steam. If your annoyed, angry, generally fed up with things here is your place to let it all out

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Uganda

Can't people read, or are they just lazy?

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:34 am

Sorry guys, just have to get this off my chest! :wink:

<rant>
Why is it that when people try to register for a forum that specifically asks for some background details to be supplied, they leave the space expressly supplied for those details blank? :roll:

Do you still get this as a regular thing, Saul?

Can they not read? :?:
Do they think it doesn't apply to them? :?:
Are they just too bl**dy lazy? :?:
Is it arrogance? :?:
Are they just terminally stupid? :?:
Or, are they spammers or SEO trying to invade? :?:

In the past I used to send them an E-mail explaining what they had to do, but only about one in ten actually replied/complied. :evil:
I've got so fed-up now, I just delete them and let them work it out for themselves, if they are able. :/:

Or, is it just me? Am I becoming a grumpy(er) old man? :twisted:
</rant>

Sorry about that chaps and chapesses, just had to deal with my frustration? :?
Feeling a little better now. :roll:

John.
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5 ... and now CFX lite.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Can't people read, or are they just lazy?

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:00 am

Oh I know this situation so well John. I have banged on about it at various times over the years, all to no avail. In the end I gave up and just removed the requirement. The only thing you need to do now to sign up is give an email address that requires user confirmation and complete the Google captcha.

It does seem to me though that there are three types of people who don't fill in all the required fields. The arrogant buggers who think they should not have to answer anything, the people who have "registration fatigue" and are just sick and tired of filling in forms just to ask a question and the spammers.

The spammers of course you don't need but I found that making the fields a requirement didn't stop them signing up. Even using the old question and answer anti-spam measures only worked for a short time. The google captcha is more effective and saves time :)

The Arrogant type will never fill in anything other than their email address because apart from arrogance their other overriding trait is stupidity. They simply don't get you would want to force people to fill in more details...even when it's clearly written on the sign up form that your trying to prevent spammers on the forum.

The last category I have some sympathy for. There you are reading some posts and suddenly realise you can answer someones questions or even have a question of your own. You click reply and get the old "you must be registered to reply in this forum" fine...go to register and...well it's another bunch of fields to fill in and your just fed up registering like this on so many forums just to post an answer or ask a question. So they move on and you lose what might have been a valuable asset to your forum. Yes you could argue that if they were the sort of person you want on the forum they should take time to fill in the registration form but, I have been there myself and after countless sign ups you do get a bit fed up with it.

So that's why I just got rid of it all. It's a very simple sign up now and takes less than 15 seconds...as long as you click the link in the authorisation email of course.

It's made no difference to the amount of spammers that sign up and yes a handful get onto the forum but they are dealt with very quickly. All moderators have a simple and fast method to ban members in just a couple of clicks and there are restrictions in place on the use of signatures and links until a certain amount of posts have been made. All in all it's a better system. We have also seen an increase in genuine member sign ups so I think it was the right way to go :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:15 am

Ah!

The luxury of several moderators. Lucky you. :wink:
Reminds me of a forum I used to frequent with a moderator in each hemisphere.
One in the UK, the 2nd in Oz, and the 3rd in the US of A.

Mine, tiny forum, just the admin, who's growing old and even more cantankerous. (Cor, spelt that correctly first time!)

Just an opportunity for a rant.
Don't take it too seriously.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5 ... and now CFX lite.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:42 pm

I understand your grumble fully John - I've been round that loop too :lol:

The information asked merely helps the forum HELP the user . . .

Could not the "Where are you located?" option be non-optional, Saul? i.e the Flag under our avatars . . . ?

We ARE an International Forum, after all . . . .

It saves ME telling someone in the US about an item he can buy in Maplins (for instance) . . .

I would then be able to suggest RadioShack (if it still exists?) . . . :roll:

I'm reminded of the Old Laural and Hardy quote "Why don't you do something to HELP me?"

So why not help US help YOU? . . . . :/:

rant over :lol:

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:26 pm

No point forcing people to give their location because often they give a false one. Also I'm pretty sure some of the flags currently flying on the forum are not an accurate representation of where people actually are but probably of the nationality they identify with. I'm not in Ireland but I fly the Irish flag because that is where my entire family are from...well going back to at least the 1600's anyway :)

We tried the restrictions on the sign up for many years and the only real effect was more work for me in checking each membership and a reduced number of members.

The current method seems to be working much better. We get the odd chancer trying it with their short replies to posts and commercial link in their signatures but they don't last long. Generally speaking we still have vastly less spammers than most forums.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:52 am

Fair enough Saul (I know we've had this conversation before anyway :lol: ) - and just to say the comments were NOT directed at you . . :wink:

Just so members are aware that I'm probably less helpful if I don't know where they are from . . . IYSWIM . .

Spam is fairly well controlled in here (as you say) - They DON'T last long . . . .

I think my "personal best" was 3 minutes between spam-posting and banning on one occasion :lol:

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:50 am

And, just to confuse matters totally, I'm flying the flag for Uganda just because it's where I was brought up. :?

Return to “Don't Get Me Started!”