Bricked Motif Rack ES

Yamaha Motif Classic/ES/XS Series

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Australia
Felixdayy3

Bricked Motif Rack ES

Unread post by Felixdayy3 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:47 am

Hey guys, tried to get onto the motifator forum but signup seems to be broken at the moment so figured id ask around here :)

I picked up a Motif Rack ES last week and it was working great, had fun playing with the factory sounds but wanted to try out some other sound-sets. i figured i should update the os while i was at it to make sure i didn't have any issues later on... well that just caused issues instead haha, now it refuses to get passed the boot screen. from memory it was on firmware 0.58 or something close to that, i got a feeling i needed to have updated to v1.00 before going to v1.03, think they messed up when wording the readme file because it says
"If your firmware version is Ver1.00, you may proceed with the update. If your firmware version is already Ver1.02, you do require the update."
which doesn't make a whole lot of sense until now

ive tried running the update though SweetMidiPlayer (Win10)
MidiPlayer X (Mac)
and SysEx (Mac) with delay times added
all with the same result, the update will run, install and complete without issues but wont get past the boot screen

JayB has recommended using the test menu to do a factory reset but when i hold "Bank> + Voice + utility" on boot, all it does it hang with a blank screen for a couple seconds then goes back to the boot logo

the service book talks about • PROGRAM ROM updater and • DATA ROM updater when updating but the links to both those are long gone
im guessing my only chances are either finding the data updater, finding V1.0 firmware (im guessing it will update the kernel and data as well) or trying to find an old firmware pre v1.00

the serial number is 339 is that helps at all, im guessing it was a pretty early version
and advice or info would be hugely appreciated

Cheers! :D

Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bricked Motif Rack ES

Unread post by Derek » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:07 pm

Hi,

I've never been in that situation before, so really not sure how to advise you, and there is little to be found on the internet to help.

I would say your best bet is to find your local Yamaha distributor and put in a call to the technical service department.

You'd like to think there is a way to recover from such a firmware update problem....
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:18 am

Hi Felix - and welcome to he forums . . . .

I've never owned this unit, but looking through the SM, I notice THIS on Page 31 . . . .
E. Hidden Function
Turn on the power with the [EXIT] button, [PAGE>]
button and the [MUTE/SEL/ENTER] button pressed and
held to have the system support download (OS UPDATE)
from MIDI, USB-MIDI.
Maybe this is what you used, but if not, give it a try with the firmware update you tried previously . . . ?

Occasionally, certain Firmwares will state that they NEED certain peripheral chips installed in order to work . . . .

You may need to check which chips (or which versions of those chips) are installed to backtrack to the correct firmware to use with those chips . . . . (perhaps this will reveal what the original FW version was?)

Another idea I had was to disconnect the internal battery and reconnect it (might flush a buffer or cache?),

but I'm not sure the ES HAS a battery?

perhaps some of this helps?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar United States of America
YamahaUser

Unread post by YamahaUser » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:16 am

Felixdayy3 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:47 am
Hey guys, tried to get onto the motifator forum but signup seems to be broken at the moment so figured id ask around here :)
That might be in an effort to eliminate spam/scam posts for a while.

[...] "If your firmware version is Ver1.00, you may proceed with the update. If your firmware version is already Ver1.02, you do require the update."
which doesn't make a whole lot of sense until now
Unfortunately, errors in the English language "Readme" files for Motif OS updates are common. They stem from problems with translation from Japanese and failure to properly update the text from a previous version. The Readme was originally written for the version 1.02 update. (Note that later in the text it states "Play back the downloaded "firm102.MID" file by the sequence software at TEMPO 120".) The second sentence you quoted should have read "If your firmware version is already Ver1.03, you do not require the update."

JayB has recommended using the test menu to do a factory reset but when i hold "Bank> + Voice + utility" on boot, all it does it hang with a blank screen for a couple seconds then goes back to the boot logo
See trouble shooting point "5." on page 68 of the Service Manual for where JayB's suggestion likely came from. When trying to boot into the test program's manual mode, [BANK>] + [VOICE] + [UTILITY] buttons should continue to be held for a few seconds after powering on until the Test Program display appears. If you've held them down for long enough and the Test Program isn't entered, then it's probably time to contact Yamaha as Derek Cook suggested - they can tell you what next steps are appropriate.
Yamaha A3000V2, A4000, MEP4, Motif XS6, Motif XF6, YS200
Fender Chroma Polaris | Korg T3EX, 05R/W | Roland M-GS64, U-220 | Etc.
User avatar Australia
Felixdayy3

Unread post by Felixdayy3 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks for the thoughts and tips guys, I'll have another crack it tomorrow and let you know what happens :)

Return to “Yamaha Motif Classic/ES/XS/XF”