Yamaha Motif es 8 inclined

Yamaha Motif Classic/ES/XS Series

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Italy
pao10

Yamaha Motif es 8 inclined

Unread post by pao10 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi everybody,
I've recently purchased motif es8 but all the keys are inclined, sloped towards the black keys.
The keyboard is in good condition but the difference in height between the beginning and the end of a key is about 5 mm.
this makes it difficult to play... it is possible to fix it and have a normal flat keyboard?
Thanks
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Yamaha Motif es 8 inclined

Unread post by parametric » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi pau 10, and welcome to the forums . . .

I don't have a Motif ES8 myself, but from your description, it sounds like the Keybed has been removed previously to you acquiring it,

and it has not been re-seated properly.

I would suggest to open it up and check the seating of the Keybed, especially at the FRONT.

When the Keybed is seated correctly - you should have the flat, "normal" keyboard you are expecting . . .

Hope that Helps

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:41 pm

Welcome to the forum pao10 :)

I would do what Chris suggested and open it up. The keys should definitely not be that way and it is likely a previous owner has done a rush job and not seated them properly. Probably an easy fix though (Y)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar United States of America
YamahaUser

Unread post by YamahaUser » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:13 pm

I suggest before attempting to open the ES8 that the Service Manual be obtained, since not following the factory procedures might lead to damage. A PDF copy of the manual can be found on the elektrotanya.com website.
Yamaha A3000V2, A4000, MEP4, Motif XS6, Motif XF6, YS200
Fender Chroma Polaris | Korg T3EX, 05R/W | Roland M-GS64, U-220 | Etc.
User avatar Italy
pao10

Unread post by pao10 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, apparently it has not been used much or modified but I'll try... thanks also for the manual
because it's not easy to open... It's not possible that is a Yamaha setting, right?
YamahaUser

Unread post by YamahaUser » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:03 pm

It's completely normal for the keys to be slightly tilted at rest (by a few degrees). Acoustic pianos may also exhibit such a tilt, depending on the key action. Don't compare the angle of the keys to the top panel, since the Motif is wedge shaped. There's no adjustment/setting designed to change the angle. I own several keyboards, and all have a slight tilt of the keys towards the rear.

What's important is that the keys all be at the same height when not depressed. If a slight tilt affects your ability to play, you might just shim the rear feet a bit to compensate.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:12 pm

That's an interesting thing. I have never experienced tilted keys in over 45 years of owing and playing keyboards. Of course I have not owned every keyboard out there but I have owned around 35 in that time. Maybe I just didn't notice :think:
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
YamahaUser

Unread post by YamahaUser » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:26 pm

Saul wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:12 pm
That's an interesting thing. I have never experienced tilted keys in over 45 years of owing and playing keyboards. Of course I have not owned every keyboard out there but I have owned around 35 in that time. Maybe I just didn't notice :think:
The tilt is subtle, and might indeed be missed on a keyboard having it if one wasn't specifically looking for it.

I was incorrect in stating that all my keyboards exhibit a tilt with the rear of the keys lower - all my pro keyboards do, but I also have an inexpensive Casio CTK-411, and it's keys actually have a very slight tilt in the opposite direction.

The degree of change in tilt as a key is depressed is dependent on the pivot point. In electronic keyboards the pivots aren't particularly far from the front of the keys, resulting in a significant change in angle as the key is depressed. I suspect that the slight tilt in the rest position compensates somewhat, so that at full key travel the angle will not be excessive going the other way.

As I mentioned previously, acoustic pianos may also have tilt to the keys, but the key action can be a determinant of that. A concert grand could have a pivot length of around one foot (~30cm), but be much shorter on an inexpensive spinet. Therefore the grand might not have significant key tilt, but the spinet is more likely to.

I've personally never found that the slight tilt impacts playability. When it comes to synths, many are mounted on stands where the angle is adjustable, and a keyboard on an upper tier is typically tilted somewhat downward, in which case this issue would probably be moot.
User avatar Italy
pao10

Unread post by pao10 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks for the advice I try to put a rise...

Return to “Yamaha Motif Classic/ES/XS/XF”