PLG150-VL or Motif XS: which is better for horn section?

Yamaha Motif Classic/ES/XS Series

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Italy
jeden

PLG150-VL or Motif XS: which is better for horn section?

Unread post by jeden » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 am

I'm thinking about buying a Motif (rack version), and, after a quick research, I found there are 3 models:

- the original Motif Rack
- its successor, Motif Rack ES
- the newest, Motif Rack XS

During my research, I've also found an interesting PLG150-VL, which I kind of love, since in my music I make extensive use of horn sections as well as individual trumpet, trombone and sax.

This module however doesn't work with the most recent Motif, the XS version (is this correct?)

I wonder: is the XS so good that it provides what the PLG150-VL gives, out of the box? Or otherwise the original or ES version with the PLG150-VL are superior in terms of authenticity and quality?

Has anyone had experience with both cases? I would appreciate any helpful feedback. I don't care too much about the other sounds, I am sure any version sounds great for my needs (I also have other synths and modules). What I really care is the quality of the horns section.

Thanks!
Antonio
User avatar United States of America
anotherscott

Re: PLG150-VL or Motif XS: which is better for horn section?

Unread post by anotherscott » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:48 pm

Although I have no personal experience, I can pass along some relevant knowledge... PLG150-VL is modeled rather than sampled. The Motif XS has no comparable capability. By reputation, the VL gives you Yamaha's most authentic and naturally playable sounds of their type. That said, the board is designed to replicate solo instruments, it will not give you the sound of a horn section, and it is monophonic (you can play only one note at a time, just like on a real horn or wind instrument).

So I guess I'd say, Motif ES with that expansions gives you Yamaha's best solo horn sounds; newer Yamahas give you their best horn sections. In terms of sounds, everything in the Motif XS/MOX (and more) is in the Motif XF/MOXF; everything in the Motif XF/MOXF (and more) is in the Montage/MODX... however there are no rack versions of anything beyond the XS sound set.
User avatar Italy
jeden

Unread post by jeden » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:08 pm

anotherscott wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:48 pm
Although I have no personal experience, I can pass along some relevant knowledge... PLG150-VL is modeled rather than sampled. The Motif XS has no comparable capability. By reputation, the VL gives you Yamaha's most authentic and naturally playable sounds of their type. That said, the board is designed to replicate solo instruments, it will not give you the sound of a horn section, and it is monophonic (you can play only one note at a time, just like on a real horn or wind instrument).

So I guess I'd say, Motif ES with that expansions gives you Yamaha's best solo horn sounds; newer Yamahas give you their best horn sections. In terms of sounds, everything in the Motif XS/MOX (and more) is in the Motif XF/MOXF; everything in the Motif XF/MOXF (and more) is in the Montage/MODX... however there are no rack versions of anything beyond the XS sound set.
Good to know... glad I asked. It's definitely nice to have the solo instrument, but I need to recreate a typical 4 parts section (2 trumpets, sax, trombone), and, even if I could afford to buy 4 cards, I would be limited by the 2 slots.

I think I have to stick with the soft instrument solution...

Thanks a lot
YamahaUser

Unread post by YamahaUser » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 pm

jeden wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 am
[...]
This module however doesn't work with the most recent Motif, the XS version (is this correct?)
That's correct, there's no slot for Plug-in boards on the XS models.

I wonder: is the XS so good that it provides what the PLG150-VL gives, out of the box? Or otherwise the original or ES version with the PLG150-VL are superior in terms of authenticity and quality?
[...]
You might find this helpful...
www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/442355/
...especially with regard to using a breath controller, which can definitely add to realism of horn sounds.
Yamaha A3000V2, A4000, MEP4, Motif XS6, Motif XF6, YS200
Fender Chroma Polaris | Korg T3EX, 05R/W | Roland M-GS64, U-220 | Etc.
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:02 pm

jeden wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:08 pm
I need to recreate a typical 4 parts section (2 trumpets, sax, trombone), and, even if I could afford to buy 4 cards, I would be limited by the 2 slots.
Correct, you'd need 4 cards, and an additional host to put them into!

As an aside, at the highest end of Yamaha's current line, the Tyros, there is an intelligent "ensemble" function, where you can (for example) play a 4-note chord and have the notes intelligently individually assigned to trumpet, sax, and trombone sounds as you play.
javelin276

Unread post by javelin276 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:25 am

It will be easier to accomplish what you want using the superb patches in the Motif XS.

Another option (just for fun) which I still haven't tried yet is to run the VL card output through the PLG100-VH card input, along with the other three notes you want it to play. The VH (Vocal Harmony) card is an Insertion Effect which does four part harmony using the input channel you select. It would do an all-brass section without requiring two hosts and four VL cards. You could pull it off with one host and two cards.
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:58 am

A harmonizer is an interesting way to get polyphony out of a monophonic source (assuming it's okay for all the notes to have the exact same articulation, which itself, will slightly reduce realism)... but in this case, if you have, let's say, a sax sound dialed in, you'll end up with 4 saxes, when you really want the timbral variation of a sax, a trombone, and two trumpets. Still, it could be a useful sound as well.
User avatar Italy
jeden

Unread post by jeden » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:14 am

Thanks everyone for the additional info & suggestions.

I think they are workarounds more than real solutions, and/or too much expensive, so I think that I will use a "flat" brass patch when composing, and then when I'll work on the arrangement and post-recording I'll replace it with a soft instrument like Session Horns.

Anyway thanks a lot!

- Antonio

Return to “Yamaha Motif Classic/ES/XS/XF”