Would you purchase a Korg Kronos Rack version?

The Kronos Music Workstation is the single instrument designed for live performing musicians

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Would you purchase a Korg Kronos Rack version?

Unread post by Saul » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:14 am

Just thought I would throw this question out there. If there were a rack version of the Korg Kronos available and you could afford one, would you buy it?

Many people already have a main keyboard, perhaps a Motif or EX5 etc and also space could be a factor so a rack would be ideal. It makes sense to me that Korg should produce a rack version of the wonderful Kronos but, would is sell?

So would you buy a Korg Kronos Rack?

If not and you would buy something else, what would it be and why?

I don't expect a rush of replies but would be interesting to leave the question out there. Korg do listen to feedback and they are not adverse to taking a risk so it's not entirely out of the realms of possibility that they would indeed produce a rack version. After all...where do you go from the Kronos as it is right?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
jhulk

Re: Would you purchase a Korg Kronos Rack version?

Unread post by jhulk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:19 am

i would by a rack version

all the pcbs are in place would not take a lot of designing a rack

roland did it with the vsynth gt

and korg make good racks
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:32 am

That's strange, I'm sure I replied to this!

Yes I would. It would suit me better than a new keyboard, but I would prefer a small form factor rack. In the discussions we did have (wherever they are), we did talk about a folding display for the best of both worlds.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:12 pm

I thought it rather strange that this topic appeared here all of a sudden also. I don't remember it being here. I thought I posted it in the general chat section, which is where the main thread is. I'm pretty sure if I posted it twice I would have mentioned it. Very odd!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
db7

Unread post by db7 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:36 pm

I’d be seriously tempted if it were cheap enough to compensate for the lack of controls and, most likely, the more difficult standalone programming experience typical of modules.

Related to the latter, since the display would be the main bottleneck: a folding built-in screen is a nice idea, but by this point, since the Kronos (like most big ones nowadays, I assume) is really just a posh PC, they might as well include outputs for external monitors over VGA, DVI, or HDMI at configurable resolutions. But hey, why not both!

All told, £1000 sounds fair, Korg ;)
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:18 pm

Agreed. A screen output would be ideal. I have a feeling though that Korg may have something else in mind. They tend to keep things close to their chest so trying to get any sort of information out of them is a bit of a slog.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar United States of America
Basspig

Unread post by Basspig » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:55 pm

I would still have my Yamaha Montage 8 if the Kronos were available as a rack version.

I like both instruments, but lack space for two keyboards. Most of my instruments are rack mounts.

Alas, I had to make a choice between Montage and Kronos and decided to keep Kronos.
Best Regards,
Mark
-----------------------------------
Kurzweil K2600RS, K2500RS, PC2RO, ExpressionMate Ribbon
Roland A80, Peavey PC1600, Yamaha FS1R, Motif Rack XS, Montage 8, Korg Kronos 2
User avatar France
EXer

Unread post by EXer » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:31 pm

Although that idea sounds interesting, it's a bit like closing the barn door after the horse is out.

I do not believe Korg would issue a Kronos Rack.

There was a discussion about that on the Korg forum 8 years ago.

on the Korg forum EXer wrote:My wish : a rackmount Kronos, with real time controllers and which can be fully edited from its own panel, like the Triton Rack or the Yamaha EX5R

_____Image ___ Image.

(not a rack that cannot be edited without a software like the TR-Rack or the Motif Rack).

Even better, with the same touch screen as the keyboard, like Roland did with their V-Synth XT:

_____Image

A rackmount Kronos would have several advantages:
¤ every musician could chose a master keyboard with the action they prefer.
¤ when used intensely on stage, a keyboard wears out much more than the synth itself ; a master KB is easier to exchange than a built-in KB
¤ no accumulation of useless keyboards in the studio when you have a lot of gear and limited space
¤ no need to pay for a KB when you already have a good master KB
EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101

VVLNERANT OMNES VLTIMA NECAT
User avatar Cayman Islands
jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by jima » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:26 pm

I would - I'd like a Kronos but have enough key-beds now especially with the Artura KeyLab II so my next acquisition will be a rack and only a rack (not even a desktop).
Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:17 am

Yeah - it's a real irritation for many . . .

I can't recall precisely when it all went wrong - and some luminary decided that nobody wanted rack modules any more . . . .

The question was even asked in the FusionZone and the FusionClub Forums, where I also hang out . . .

I inquired of one of the original designers of the Alesis Fusion - and was told that Alesis had already decided that there was no market for

a Rack version - so the idea was not pursued . . . .

Someone even wondered about the possibility of trying to hack one together from the innards of a 6HD, but the pcbs are simply too long

to fit a Rack :roll:

There's also the puzzle of what it might do - waking up with no keybed attached, and with the OS development, dead in the water,

signs were not looking good . . . . :lol:

Perhaps the appearance of the Behringer Model D indicates that opinions might be about to change?

Time will tell I suppose. :pray:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar France
EXer

Unread post by EXer » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:42 pm

parametric wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:17 am
Perhaps the appearance of the Behringer Model D indicates that opinions might be about to change?
It's not a rack, it's a Eurorack, which is quite different.

Hence its f@¤§!#g MIDI ports on its front panel Image

Btw, I *really* don't understand that craze for Eurorack modular synths: they are expensive, they are monophonic, the wierd sounds they can make are useless in a musical context, and for more classical electronic sounds a poly synth is more appropriate and more cost effective.
EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101

VVLNERANT OMNES VLTIMA NECAT

Return to “Korg Kronos Forum”