New KORG KROME EX - Not the KROME we were hoping for?

Covers KORG KROME and KROME EX

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

New KORG KROME EX - Not the KROME we were hoping for?

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:57 pm

KORG KROME EX.png
KORG KROME EX
As no doubt many of you will have seen by now, KORG have announced their replacement for the KROME and called it the 'KROME EX'

Now I don't know about you but I was expecting great things here. The original KROME sounded fine but it was looking it's age in the hardware dept?

After much rumour and speculation we now have the KROME EX. So, what is it? Well it is actually the SAME KROME as before. No new synth engines, STILL no audio interface and although it has some new sounds and an apparently increased pcm memory...by around 200mb all we essentially have here is a new set of sounds for the old KROME.

I hate to say it but I AM disappointed. I had hoped...expected even that KORG would knock it out of the ball park and give us at least one additional synth engine from KRONOS, a better quality keybed (watch how the whole keybed moves in the video below) and an audio interface. What I definitely did not expect was a new colour scheme and some new sounds.

Look, it's still a nice keyboard but there is no way it stacks up against MODX or even the Roland FA. It is almost as if KORG have simply abandoned the mid-range.

KORG KROSS 2 anyone? :confusion-confused:

Full Spec Here
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar United States of America
anotherscott

Re: New KORG KROME EX - Not the KROME we were hoping for?

Unread post by anotherscott » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:32 pm

I'm not surprised that there's no additional Kronos engine, in that, unless this was going to be a total rework, the architecture probably isn't there to support it. The Krome isn't at all built on a Kronos-derived platform, and I'm guessing they determined that they can't build a Kronos-based board in the Krome price range. But yeah, it's an underwhelming update, unless maybe it just has the kind of sound someone is after. In terms of features, as with its predecessor, the only place it beats the MODX is in its sequencer and MIDI functionalities.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:55 pm

I think you are right in that this will appeal on the grounds of it's sound rather than anything else. It does sound great but I so wish they had put an audio interface in there. There wasn't one when the original came out way back in 2013 so they have had a good 5 years to do something about that.

I really do think they could have created a completely new keyboard for the mid-range. After 5 years to only come out with a colour change and some extra voices is not great by anyones standards.

Perhaps KORG's focus is on the smaller keyboards and modules plus of course their apps. KRONOS is still pretty much dominating the top end and maybe they are fine with that situation.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:16 pm

New video demonstrating the updated sounds in the KROME EX

I definitely DO like how it sounds but after 5 years we still have the same keyboard? I guess if MODX has not hit the market then the KROME EX might have been able to punch a little higher but right now I just don't think some new sounds is going to be enough.

The KORG KROSS 2 is arguably better value for money?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Sweden
ledan

Unread post by ledan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:19 pm

I had a (gold) Krome in the past but sold it due to the moxf eating it for breakfast and lunch sound-wise, but most of all because the keyboard feel was a disaster. I'm basically talking M-Audio Venom bad here. Sure, it was a bit better than the Kross (which was/is "rock-bottom") but i rate it as a low-end instrument due to that.

But sure, it has good piano sounds, it has the M1 soundset, but not much else.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:00 pm

I liked the sounds but I agree the keys could be better. At the time I tested the original I also had the MOXF and Roland FA06.

The FA06 was great in terms of sounds but the keys were definitely not great. The KROME was better and the MOXF better still.

I just can't reconcile a great company like KORG only bringing some new sounds to a 5 year old keyboard and trying to pass it off as something new or exciting? It's exactly the same keyboard that came out in 2013! :/:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Saul wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:16 pm
The KORG KROSS 2 is arguably better value for money?
I guess it comes down to how much you want the touchscreen interface, the larger sample set (esp. better pianos/EPs/drums), and whatever benefits the full EDS-X sound engine has over the lesser EDS-i engine. But... yeah, I'd say the Kross is the better value.
lukecross271

Unread post by lukecross271 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:24 am

I just got the new Korg Krome ex yesterday. Im new to all this and i can't figure out why only every 4 keys work. Its a pattern that I cant figure out. Someone please help me.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:28 am

lukecross271 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:24 am
I just got the new Korg Krome ex yesterday. Im new to all this and i can't figure out why only every 4 keys work. Its a pattern that I cant figure out. Someone please help me.
Hi Luke, welcome to the forums :)

So was it like that straight out of the box? I mean you powered on and then only every 4th key actually makes a sound?

First thing I would try is a system reset.
  • Enter Global mode by pressing the [GLOBAL] button
  • Touch the [MENU] soft button, and choose “Load Preload/ Demo Data.” (make sure ALL Preload PCG and Demo Songs is selected
  • Press the [OK] button
Warning! This operation will will restore all banks, songs, arps, global settings, etc to factory condition. Do not use this function unless you are certain that you want to do this.

If that doesn't work then I would not do anything else other than send it back. Don't waste too much time trying to fix an issue like this. It sounds like there is a firmware bug or possibly it is hardware related but either way it is faulty and personally I would get a replacement.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Return to “KORG KROME & KROME EX Forum”