What are the Krome pianos like?

Covers KORG KROME and KROME EX

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Australia
Denv12
Member
Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:41 am

What are the Krome pianos like?

Unread post by Denv12 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:10 am

Saul wrote:The Kross pianos are pretty good but given you are going to be coming from the RD700sx and knowing of your previous equipment problems I would probably not recommend the Kross for you. Although it is a very well rounded instrument with some great sounds I personally think you will find it difficult to use. I put this purely down to the small screen and the many menus you would have to click through to get to what you want.

If I were you I would be looking at the KORG KROME 88 or the Roland FA-08 both of which will give you excellent pianos, both acoustic and electric, plus thousands of other sounds which you can add to when you wish and you won't find any problems layering/splitting sounds.
Hi Saul.

I'm glad you replied here.I discovered that the Kross was the entry level whilst the Krome was its upmarket brother.I grabbed the handbooks for both and did some reading.

I figured I'd rule out the Roland equivalents to start with.I found some videos of both Korgs demos of electric pianos.I think if I sell one or both modules,piano and the expansion board to raise the money.
I found a good price here in Australia so if I can sell my piano,etc I'd be well on my way.

With the Roland I am able to combine 4 instruments and drums from the built in module and drum machine so I have to have that in my next piano at least.I'm feeling better about this.I've got all the original packaging for everything and its still as new,its never left my home.

I'll keep researching this to get it right.

Thanks for helping.

Chris.
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12120
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:00 am
Contact:

Re: What are the Kross and Krome pianos like?

Unread post by Saul » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:56 am

Well I think most people will know by now that the KROME is probably my favorite keyboard from the top three ;) I absolutely love the pianos and once you have used a KORG touch view interface it's very hard to go back to a normal small LCD screen.

Having said that, Yamaha are now including the Bosendorfer grand in their new keyboards, starting with the Clavinova's. The Bosendorfer acoustic piano would always be my personal number one choice, hence my affinity with the KORG KROME and KRONOS.

Layering I think you will really like. You can layer up to 16 sounds in any way you wish including splitting them across the keyboard. The KROME is a very versatile instrument.

If you want to move the KROME discussion to the KROME section I'll be happy to talk more about it with you :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Sign up to the Newsletter
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
Australia
Denv12
Member
Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:41 am

Re: What are the Kross and Krome pianos like?

Unread post by Denv12 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:07 pm

Saul wrote:Well I think most people will know by now that the KROME is probably my favorite keyboard from the top three ;) I absolutely love the pianos and once you have used a KORG touch view interface it's very hard to go back to a normal small LCD screen.

Having said that, Yamaha are now including the Bosendorfer grand in their new keyboards, starting with the Clavinova's. The Bosendorfer acoustic piano would always be my personal number one choice, hence my affinity with the KORG KROME and KRONOS.

Layering I think you will really like. You can layer up to 16 sounds in any way you wish including splitting them across the keyboard. The KROME is a very versatile instrument.

If you want to move the KROME discussion to the KROME section I'll be happy to talk more about it with you :)
Hi Saul.

I think we can move this to the Krome discussion to there.Thank you for the suggestion.
I'm not likely to buy the Kross.The Krome is the better choice.Is the current model the weighted key version? When I saw the big screen on the Krome I was impressed.
I havent had a yamaha digital.Had an old PF15 years ago,the old analogue job,an 88 note too.
I'll have a look at the yamaha.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12120
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:00 am
Contact:

Re: What are the Kross and Krome pianos like?

Unread post by Saul » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:13 pm

The Yamaha equivalent of the KROME is the MOXF which I am writing a review of at the moment. It sounds fantastic! Lovely pianos, nice acoustic guitars, very convincing brass and strings. There are however two aspects of it which I think might prove a little problematic for you. The most obvious is the size of the screen. It's small and the pixel count is not high so whilst it does the job it would benefit from being much larger and higher resolution.

The second issue and the one which may cause you more concern is the number of button presses it can sometime take to do something seemingly simple and this combined with the screen may prove quite frustrating. Yamaha's answer to this is "it's all about the sounds" and yes that's fine and it does sound great but, the shine is taken off that if the thing is difficult to use. I have already come up against one important issue which I will come to in my review but If I find it a problem you can be sure you definitely will!

Right now, the KORG KROME is still out there ahead of the pack, although I have not had a chance to test the Roland FA-06/08 yet but if it follows previous Roland trends I have a feeling the KROME will still win the day.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Sign up to the Newsletter
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
Australia
Denv12
Member
Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:41 am

Re: What are the Kross and Krome pianos like?

Unread post by Denv12 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:52 pm

Saul wrote:The Yamaha equivalent of the KROME is the MOXF which I am writing a review of at the moment. It sounds fantastic! Lovely pianos, nice acoustic guitars, very convincing brass and strings. There are however two aspects of it which I think might prove a little problematic for you. The most obvious is the size of the screen. It's small and the pixel count is not high so whilst it does the job it would benefit from being much larger and higher resolution.

The second issue and the one which may cause you more concern is the number of button presses it can sometime take to do something seemingly simple and this combined with the screen may prove quite frustrating. Yamaha's answer to this is "it's all about the sounds" and yes that's fine and it does sound great but, the shine is taken off that if the thing is difficult to use. I have already come up against one important issue which I will come to in my review but If I find it a problem you can be sure you definitely will!

Right now, the KORG KROME is still out there ahead of the pack, although I have not had a chance to test the Roland FA-06/08 yet but if it follows previous Roland trends I have a feeling the KROME will still win the day.
Thanks Saul.

I think the Korge Krome 88 has got the goods overall.In one of the videos I watched,a musician commented on an unmentioned piano saying that it took toomany buttons to do anything.I had a mobile phone like that.Good news is I can buy the Krome right here.It seems they are all around the same price which I found an interesting factor.I watched video demos and I got hooked on the electric piano sounds.They are equal to and even better than the Ketron.I was tempted to buy the Ketron GP1.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12120
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:00 am
Contact:

Re: What are the Kross and Krome pianos like?

Unread post by Saul » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:57 pm

Well one thing I can definitely advise against is buying anything else with 'Ketron' written on it. Once you get a KORG you will see what I mean. Sounds better, better built and support is a hundred times better plus you will also have the support of an absolutely massive KORG user base. It's a decision I really do not think you will regret :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Sign up to the Newsletter
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
Australia
Denv12
Member
Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:41 am

Re: What are the Kross and Krome pianos like?

Unread post by Denv12 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:23 am

Saul wrote:Well one thing I can definitely advise against is buying anything else with 'Ketron' written on it. Once you get a KORG you will see what I mean. Sounds better, better built and support is a hundred times better plus you will also have the support of an absolutely massive KORG user base. It's a decision I really do not think you will regret :)
I've been watching the various video demos of the Korg Krome 88.I've decided its the one definitely.I've even got money to put towards it.They cost $1999 here and I only have to raise another $600 to buy one including free delivery.With both modules and my Roland,etc still advertised I cant wait to buy it.Nearly there.
Mr Stew
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:39 am

Re: What are the Krome pianos like?

Unread post by Mr Stew » Tue May 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Chris, don't know if you've made your decision yet, but I'd like to add another thumbs up for the Krome. Just bought a 73 note version about 3 weeks ago, and love it. The more I play it the better it gets! The variety of sounds, sound quality, superb touch screen and lightness make it a winner in my book.

Unfortunately I've never played the Roland you have so can't compare it to that. I did try a Motif before buying the Krome and remember thinking the piano was slightly better, but couldn't get to grips with the user interface of the Motif - couldn't even find the simple sounds I wanted in the shop while trying it. After buying the Krome, I've set up combinations, changed programs and not even opened the manual. Very easy to use. And in a live band situation only you will notice any slight difference between Krome, Motif or Roland patches, the audience will just hear great pianos.

I'm planning on posting more thoughts on the Krome when I get time, but you need to try one.

Good luck!
User avatar
WatneyHeckbulb
Member
Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:00 am

Re: What are the Krome pianos like?

Unread post by WatneyHeckbulb » Tue May 06, 2014 2:23 pm

Hey Chris. If it helps I can tell you that the Krome has the same German piano multisample set as the Kronos, and as a Kronos user I can vouch for it 100%. I think the Krome also does the hammer noise and the resonance when you hold down sustain - it's a hair-raisingly good piano :D
Simon Moth.


Gear - Korg Kronos 61, TR61 + EXP-SMPL, M1R, O1R/W & O5R/W. Yamaha Stagepas 500, Akai S3000XL, Cubase 7, Aria Player 64, Notion.
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III, Fender Telecaster, Tanglewood TSB 59, Zoom GFX8, Mesa Boogie DC-5.

Have owned Yamaha DX11, FB01, PSS460, SHS-10, DD10, RX11 & RX15, Ensoniq EPS, Kawai K1 mkII, Roland MT32, Evolution EVS1, Boss BR-864, many guitars, many amps and an Atari ST.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12120
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:00 am
Contact:

Re: What are the Krome pianos like?

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 06, 2014 4:13 pm

There you have it Chris. A resounding vote for the KROME I think :) Hope you manage to get the extra cash together soon.

The MOXF by the way does have lovely pianos and plenty of them. Have been really enjoying using them. The only thing I don't like is the interface. Way too many button clicks for my liking but of course that is the result of not having a large touch screen to help you get around and as our friend Mr Stew mentioned, you rarely need the manual with a KORG, which unfortunately is not something I can say of the MOXF. Sure, once you "learn" the instrument you will be fine but, it can be a bit of a mountain and one that quite a few people are not eager to climb.

Keep us updated on your KORG KROME quest :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Sign up to the Newsletter
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
Australia
Denv12
Member
Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:41 am

Re: What are the Krome pianos like?

Unread post by Denv12 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:16 pm

Saul wrote:There you have it Chris. A resounding vote for the KROME I think :) Hope you manage to get the extra cash together soon.

The MOXF by the way does have lovely pianos and plenty of them. Have been really enjoying using them. The only thing I don't like is the interface. Way too many button clicks for my liking but of course that is the result of not having a large touch screen to help you get around and as our friend Mr Stew mentioned, you rarely need the manual with a KORG, which unfortunately is not something I can say of the MOXF. Sure, once you "learn" the instrument you will be fine but, it can be a bit of a mountain and one that quite a few people are not eager to climb.

Keep us updated on your KORG KROME quest :)
I'm now $400 off buying one.Even found a shop who offered a $100 discount because every other shop had them for the same price.Still got all my gear for sale even reduced the price on the Roland.

The Krome 88 is the go.Ive seen a lot of video demos and its the one.I'm very thankful for the youtube demos,helps making buying easy.
Post Reply

Return to “KORG KROME & KROME EX Forum”