Yamaha RM50 manager (voice editor and rhythm kit editor)

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Kiribati
tux

Re: Yamaha RM50 manager (voice editor and rhythm kit editor)

Unread post by tux » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:54 am

The RM50 Manager now has a dedicated website: http://rm50-manager.linuxtech.net/

Also version 1.20 is now available for Windows. This new release contains many improvements, most importantly it now includes MIDI IN support also for Windows, so full bi-directional communication with the RM is now possible.

You can download the latest release at the link above, make sure you check out the release notes, too.

Please note: This new version does not require any installation, it consists of a single 'exe' file that you can simply place on your desktop (if you prefer you can put it in a dedicated folder instead and create a link to it from the desktop) and then double-click to run.

Feedback and bug reports (in case you hit any bugs) are always welcome.
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)
User avatar United States of America
javelin276

Unread post by javelin276 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:17 am

I'll get back to you on the card issue this weekend, I work 12 hours Monday through Thursday. No time.
User avatar Kiribati
tux

Unread post by tux » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:48 am

@javelin276: No problem.

I want to quickly explain here to everybody who uses the RM50 Manager one feature of the new 1.20 release, that is not immediately obvious and that IMHO makes editing much easier:

In the Rhythm Kit Editor Window, after selecting a Bank for any Note you can place the mouse cursor over the Voice1 (or Voice2) pull-down menu and, without opening the pull-down menu, use the mouse scroll wheel to select the next/previous Voice.

Each time you switch to the next or previous Voice, the RM50 Manager will automatically play the Voice, so you can comfortably select the most suitable sound by ear.

The same thing can also be done when you select the Waveform for each Element of a Voice in the Voice Editor. For the sound to be played automatically at each selection you will need to have the Voice you are editing active on the RM50.

Some sounds might loop infinitely, in that case simply click the right mouse button inside the pull-down menu and the sound will stop.
My Yamaha RM50 page
javelin276

Unread post by javelin276 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:12 pm

OK, testing only the new version of the RM50_Manager, I can load Voices up to #32 and Elements can load Waves up to #37.
In the Rhythm Kit Editor, it selects Voices up to #32.
I wasn't understanding the usage of Waves before, sorry about that.
User avatar Kiribati
tux

Unread post by tux » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:28 pm

javelin276 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:12 pm
OK, testing only the new version of the RM50_Manager, I can load Voices up to #32 and Elements can load Waves up to #37.
Thanks for testing this, that confirms that your FW Version behaves the same as mine, so there is no regression. :)
My Yamaha RM50 page
javelin276

Unread post by javelin276 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:08 pm

I have a different question... I only get a Bass Drum sound when I press the SOUND button on your software and on the front panel. I tried uploading the Voice, but that wasn't right. What am I doing wrong, what am I supposed to do to use the sound preview feature? Could you explain that process please?
User avatar Kiribati
tux

Unread post by tux » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:20 pm

You might need to set up the current channel with either pitched voice or rhythm kit (and the voice or kit number you are editing), depending on what you are editing.

As you probably know the RM50 is 16 part multi-timbral so for each of the 16 midi channels you can have either a pitched voice or a rhythm kit active.
The 'SOUND' button (both on the RM50 Manager and on the front panel) will always play the currently selected midi channel, i.e. the channel currently visible on the display (C01 -> C16).

Ideally the RM50 Manager should also have an editor window for the setup of the 16 parts, but since that isn't implemented yet, it needs to be done on the front panel of the RM50 for now.
My Yamaha RM50 page

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”