Yamaha RM50 manager (voice editor and rhythm kit editor)

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Kiribati
tux

Re: Yamaha RM50 manager (voice editor and rhythm kit editor)

Unread post by tux » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:54 am

The RM50 Manager now has a dedicated website: http://rm50-manager.linuxtech.net/

Also version 1.20 is now available for Windows. This new release contains many improvements, most importantly it now includes MIDI IN support also for Windows, so full bi-directional communication with the RM is now possible.

You can download the latest release at the link above, make sure you check out the release notes, too.

Please note: This new version does not require any installation, it consists of a single 'exe' file that you can simply place on your desktop (if you prefer you can put it in a dedicated folder instead and create a link to it from the desktop) and then double-click to run.

Feedback and bug reports (in case you hit any bugs) are always welcome.
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)
User avatar United States of America
javelin276

Unread post by javelin276 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:17 am

I'll get back to you on the card issue this weekend, I work 12 hours Monday through Thursday. No time.
User avatar Kiribati
tux

Unread post by tux » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:48 am

@javelin276: No problem.

I want to quickly explain here to everybody who uses the RM50 Manager one feature of the new 1.20 release, that is not immediately obvious and that IMHO makes editing much easier:

In the Rhythm Kit Editor Window, after selecting a Bank for any Note you can place the mouse cursor over the Voice1 (or Voice2) pull-down menu and, without opening the pull-down menu, use the mouse scroll wheel to select the next/previous Voice.

Each time you switch to the next or previous Voice, the RM50 Manager will automatically play the Voice, so you can comfortably select the most suitable sound by ear.

The same thing can also be done when you select the Waveform for each Element of a Voice in the Voice Editor. For the sound to be played automatically at each selection you will need to have the Voice you are editing active on the RM50.

Some sounds might loop infinitely, in that case simply click the right mouse button inside the pull-down menu and the sound will stop.
My Yamaha RM50 page
javelin276

Unread post by javelin276 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:12 pm

OK, testing only the new version of the RM50_Manager, I can load Voices up to #32 and Elements can load Waves up to #37.
In the Rhythm Kit Editor, it selects Voices up to #32.
I wasn't understanding the usage of Waves before, sorry about that.
User avatar Kiribati
tux

Unread post by tux » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:28 pm

javelin276 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:12 pm
OK, testing only the new version of the RM50_Manager, I can load Voices up to #32 and Elements can load Waves up to #37.
Thanks for testing this, that confirms that your FW Version behaves the same as mine, so there is no regression. :)
My Yamaha RM50 page
javelin276

Unread post by javelin276 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:08 pm

I have a different question... I only get a Bass Drum sound when I press the SOUND button on your software and on the front panel. I tried uploading the Voice, but that wasn't right. What am I doing wrong, what am I supposed to do to use the sound preview feature? Could you explain that process please?
User avatar Kiribati
tux

Unread post by tux » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:20 pm

You might need to set up the current channel with either pitched voice or rhythm kit (and the voice or kit number you are editing), depending on what you are editing.

As you probably know the RM50 is 16 part multi-timbral so for each of the 16 midi channels you can have either a pitched voice or a rhythm kit active.
The 'SOUND' button (both on the RM50 Manager and on the front panel) will always play the currently selected midi channel, i.e. the channel currently visible on the display (C01 -> C16).

Ideally the RM50 Manager should also have an editor window for the setup of the 16 parts, but since that isn't implemented yet, it needs to be done on the front panel of the RM50 for now.
My Yamaha RM50 page
User avatar Argentina
Octaman666

Unread post by Octaman666 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:01 pm

Hi all!!

I'm the happy owner of an RM50.
This editor is extremely important to make working with this machine easier, thank you for your work Tux!

My OS is windows 10 64 bit. The editor i think is working, but when i open it, it shows a message "couldnt open rm50_manager.ini". It's something wrong?

Thanks!!!!
User avatar Kiribati
tux

Unread post by tux » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:09 pm

Octaman666 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:01 pm
My OS is windows 10 64 bit. The editor i think is working, but when i open it, it shows a message "couldnt open rm50_manager.ini". It's something wrong?
No, don't worry nothing is wrong, that is a harmless bug that I forgot to fix.

When the RM50 Manager starts it looks for a file called "rm50_manager.ini" which is used to store the MIDI and the inserted cards settings. If you have not saved your MIDI settings yet, then it doesn't find the file and gives that error that you see (it should not show that error as there is nothing wrong with not having saved any settings).

To get rid of it simply set your MIDI connection configuration and open the Edit Menu and click on "Save Settings".

Next time you start the RM50 Manager it will read the rm50_manager.ini and reuse the same MIDI settings.
My Yamaha RM50 page
User avatar Argentina
Octaman666

Unread post by Octaman666 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:28 pm

Thanks! Problem solved.
But it seems that it does not transmit midi. It's strange... I have used your editor long ago, in another computer and it works.

The midi out port is correct (I have checked it) and the midi in is my midi keyboard.
Supposedly when playing the midi keyboard it should transmit midi to the RM50, but nothing happens. The midi led does not blink. I test it with other midi sequencer and it works perfectly in that same configuration.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.
User avatar Kiribati
tux

Unread post by tux » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:36 pm

Octaman666 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:28 pm
The midi out port is correct (I have checked it) and the midi in is my midi keyboard.
Supposedly when playing the midi keyboard it should transmit midi to the RM50, but nothing happens.
That's a misunderstanding.
The MIDI IN needs to be also connected to the RM50, you need a bi-directional connection otherwise the editor cannot receive data from the RM50.

You need 2 MIDI cables:
PC MIDI OUT -> RM50 MIDI IN
PC MIDI IN <- RM50 MIDI OUT
My Yamaha RM50 page
User avatar Great Britain
Fuzzmaster101

Unread post by Fuzzmaster101 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:12 pm

Hello all, brand new to the Yamaha RM50, in fact just got it today. Great bit of kit.

I'm having a little bit of trouble with the RM50 editor. The pitch setting for each element jumps from -22 to 22 and will not show 0. Plus when I tune both to the same setting (say 22) they are out of tune with each other. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
User avatar Kiribati
tux

Unread post by tux » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:23 pm

Fuzzmaster101 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:12 pm
I'm having a little bit of trouble with the RM50 editor. The pitch setting for each element jumps from -22 to 22 and will not show 0. Plus when I tune both to the same setting (say 22) they are out of tune with each other. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
How are you moving the Pitch slider?
You can move a slider either by clicking on it (with the left mouse button) and then dragging it left or right while keeping the button pressed, or you can use the mouse scroll wheel, or you can click inside the slider background either left or right of the slider to increase/decrease the value by one.
The Element Pitch slider goes from -3600 to 3600 so with the dragging method it's hard to move it by small increments, therefore I suggest using the mouse scroll wheel or the third method mentioned above to move it by small increments.

With regards to the two elements being out of tune, check that the Pitch EG settings are the same and that you don't have a different Velocity->Pitch Sensitivity setting as these parameters influence the pitch too.
My Yamaha RM50 page
User avatar Serbia
lestra

Unread post by lestra » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:40 am

Hi everybody! I am new here so please be gentle :) . I got Yamaha RM50 and don't know where to start from. Then I found your sweet program which I hope will make my life easier but then I realize that link for online documentation is broken.

http://rm50-manager.linuxtech.net/docs/?ref=1.20

Could you please post working link here?

Also what would be the best first step for someone who never touch Yamaha RM50 module? I know how to use midi and I am a drummer but interface and logic of this module is so hard for me to understand. Please help. Thank you.
User avatar Kiribati
tux

Unread post by tux » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:52 am

Hi, the link is not broken, it doesn't work because the online documentation doesn't exist yet, I have to find the time (and motivation) to write it. :(

The first step would be to read the Yamaha user manual for the RM50, it explains how the RM50 works really well, with that knowledge you will understand the editor better too.
If you don't have a printed copy of the manual then you can find it online, for example near the bottom of the following page:
http://www.linuxtech.net/musicgear/synt ... _rm50.html
My Yamaha RM50 page

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”