The New Yamaha YC61 Drawbar Organ - NAMM 2020

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

rogs

Re: The New Yamaha YC61 Drawbar Organ - NAMM 2020

Unread post by rogs »

Hi John-

Many thanks for your reply. I was rather hoping the next sentence after your quote on page 30 might be true - "Therefore, performance data for up to sixteen different instrument parts can be simultaneously exchanged over a single MIDI cable". ( the bold is mine)

I have been able to achieve most of what I'm suggesting between the HC2 and the MOX6 - although the process is a little convoluted (involves 'patterns' and 'master' mode). But it does allow for the MIDI data from all 3 of the HC2 MIDI channels to be received, and for those to play 3 voices simultaneously on the MOX.
As the YC61 has a similar looking MIDI implementation data to the MOX ...
HC2.YC61.MOX.MIDI.Implementation copy.jpg
I was hoping it might be possible there as well - although without a 'pattern mode' on the YV61, maybe not.

I've yet to work out how to get the expression pedal control data from the HC2 to work on the MOX, and I was hoping that might be possible too with the YC61....

I could ask again on the Yamahasynth forum -- but I don't think I'm among Bad Mister's 'chosen few' - so I'm not holding my breath!

Thanks again for your reply

rogs (BTW, I'm not Eduardo - he was the original author of this useful thread thread)

SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wellingborough, Northants, UK.

Unread post by SysExJohn »

Sorry, Rogs, for my mistake.

I'm gettin' old you see!

Sadly, as far as I can see (I downloaded the YC61 manual and read the relevant bits) it will only receive on one MIDI channel at a time.
At least that's my reading of it.

JohnG.
UW500; 2 x MU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560; AN1x; Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Finale 26; Sonar 7 PE and CbB.
XGworks v4; SQ01; SOL2. Garritan GPO5; COMB2; JABB3; IO; Organs; Steinway; World; Harps; CFX Concert Grand.

rogs

Unread post by rogs »

Thanks for your reply John - I shall keep looking and hope that you're wrong! :)

The MIDI implementaton data sheet for the YC61 seems to have a lot in common with the MOX data sheet, and it would be a huge retrograde step for Yamaha to go back to a single channel after having 16 simultaneous channels 10 years ago.....IMHO of course :)

Or maybe I need to find a dealer with a 30 day returns policy! ...

Thanks again.

rogs

Unread post by rogs »

Hello again John ----

Sadly you are right about the YC61 - only one MIDI channel at a time -- or alternatively all channels at once - nothing in between.

I have found a usable workaround, using my MOX and its MIDI thru connector, so I am able to achieve (pretty much) what I promised myself I would try and do some 45 years ago..

As a keyboard 'tech' for a UK Hammond main dealer back in the 1970s, (we were called 'service engineers' in those days!) it was always an out of reach dream to possess one's own A100, B3 or C3 Hammond - together with a twin rotor Leslie 122 of course.

In the early 70s, that would set you back about ¼ of the price of a house... so way out of reach.

Fast forward 45 years and you can get pretty much that sound - plus a lot more -- and a waterfall keyboard - for about 1/50th of the cost!

OK, it's a single keyboard, but I thought I should like to play an almost 'real' Hammond/Leslie sound for a little while, using the - now almost defunct - twin keyboard and pedal board style of playing.

So I've connected my new YC61 to my old Yamaha HC2 and done just that.... just for old times sake!

I have to say the YC61 is a lovely little keyboard..... very expensive of course, but built in true Yamaha 'pro' style - (metal chassis- integral power supply - high quality switches and keyboard etc) and some truly astonishing sounds.

The keyboard was the big 'new' unknown -- a waterfall, that also serves as a piano and EP keybed as well, but Yamaha seem to have it cracked.
It feels great!

Far too much money for an amateur like me of course-- but you're a long time dead! :)

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

Unread post by Derek »

Yamaha seem to be pretty screwy on MIDI reception lately. The Montage has very severe limitations in this regard as well. It’s like Yamaha assume that you will never want to play one of their fine keyboards from another one..... Well, yes, actually, I might and do!
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wellingborough, Northants, UK.

Unread post by SysExJohn »

Hi Rogs,

So sorry to be right.

Sadly, I've had a lifetime of interpretation of MIDI specs. from the first Cheetah MS6 (which I still have around somewhere) sound module/synth, and have become, perhaps, too adept in my advanced years of working out what a product doesn't do. It helps avoid dissapointment I've found ! :(

Nonetheless you've got what appears to be an extremely good board there and I have to admit, that I'm rather envious. (Y)
As Derek says, sometimes the marketing decisions made by Yamaha seem inexplicable.

These days I rely almost entirely on virtual instruments in my creation of orchestral accompaniments for my wife (the talented one). Currently working on an aria from Verdi's Otello.

Have fun with your YC61.

Kind regards,
JohnG.
UW500; 2 x MU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560; AN1x; Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Finale 26; Sonar 7 PE and CbB.
XGworks v4; SQ01; SOL2. Garritan GPO5; COMB2; JABB3; IO; Organs; Steinway; World; Harps; CFX Concert Grand.