(VERY URGENT) Don't know which keyboard to buy...

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Malaysia
Maevinarsh

Re: (VERY URGENT) Don't know which keyboard to buy...

Unread post by Maevinarsh » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:56 pm

Hi! So I dont think so ill be able to find a proper 88 key keyboard with that price.
So I have come up with a new minimum requirements for my keyboard.

1) Below 1710 dollars
2) Any professional brand
3) Around 1000 high quality sounds.
4) 88 keys
5) Suitable for stage performances and music composing
6) Has Fingered On Bass (like the Genos, play a chord (three fingers) at the left hand and it produces automatic bass for the chord)
*For an example, I play G,C,E at the left hand after splitting and the keyboard gives bass for 'C' automatically
and should not give bass for G, bass for C and for E in the same time, but only C.

I really increased the budget, im really hoping for one perfect keyboard. So please help me.
Thanks In Advance.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:10 pm

Re: the PX560 "Auto Harmonize",

Just to add, as I said I would, to this topic, the px560 has the following:-

AutoHarm1.jpg
AutoHarm1.jpg (72.07 KiB) Viewed 235 times
AutoHarm2.jpg
AutoHarm2.jpg (66.58 KiB) Viewed 235 times
Just to help add to the confusion. :wink:

Hope it helps, :whistle:
JohnG.
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5 ... and now CFX lite.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi Maevinarsh

I think the biggest problem is the requirement for 88 keys PLUS your number 6 option. Automatic Bass for the chord.

Perhaps there are some keyboards on which you can do that but I can't think of any myself. Even Genos doesn't have 88 keys. A used Tyros would do what you want but again you won't find one with 88 keys. The higher end PSR's could also do everything you want but none of those have 88 keys.

Can anyone else think of some more options here?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Malaysia
Maevinarsh

Unread post by Maevinarsh » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Saul wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:14 pm
Hi Maevinarsh

I think the biggest problem is the requirement for 88 keys PLUS your number 6 option. Automatic Bass for the chord.

Perhaps there are some keyboards on which you can do that but I can't think of any myself. Even Genos doesn't have 88 keys. A used Tyros would do what you want but again you won't find one with 88 keys. The higher end PSR's could also do everything you want but none of those have 88 keys.

Hello, thank you very much for your reply. If the 88 key and bass chord feature rarely/doesnt really come together, at least instead of 88 keys, are there the ones with hammered keys (piano keys)?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:10 pm

Can't think of any hammer action keybeds myself with less than 88 keys apart from the new Yamaha CP73. I am sure there must be some and others may know but I that is the only one I know of.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Maevinarsh wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:56 pm
I really increased the budget, im really hoping for one perfect keyboard.
I think all you've changed is the budget, but as Saul kind of said, the problem isn't so much the budget, the problem is whether this exists at any price.
SysExJohn wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:10 pm
Re: the PX560 "Auto Harmonize",
Just to help add to the confusion. :wink:
Yeah, I don't think melody harmonizing has anything to do with what the OP is asking about. ;-)
Saul wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:14 pm

*Maybe* a used Korg Havian 30?
Saul wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:10 pm
Can't think of any hammer action keybeds myself with less than 88 keys apart from the new Yamaha CP73. I am sure there must be some and others may know but I that is the only one I know of.
Quite a few, but again, probably not with the desired bass feature. But besides the CP73, in current models, you've got:
Korg: SV1-73, Kronos 73, Grandstage 73
Kurzweil: Forte 7
Nord: Electro 6 HP, Stage 3 HP76
Yamaha: P-121
Dexibell: P3, S3, S3 Pro
Studiologic: SL73 (controller only)

Okay, but getting back to the OP's problem:

1. I don't think we have yet determined that the Yamaha DGX660, Casio PX360, Casio PX560 definitely can't do what he needs, have we? I know arrangers and auto accompaniment systems generate mono bass lines from the bottom note, but what is also throwing me here is that he wants to play everything and is not looking for the board to provide other on-the-fly accompaniment. So with any arranger or auto-accompaniment board, is it possible for the board to generate the bass like that *without* generating additional accompaniment? Can you simply "turn off" (or not enable) its other accompaniment functions when doing this? I don't know, I've never used those features.

2. Coming at this from another angle, almost any keyboard that is capable of splits and layers will allow you to layer a monophonic bass sound over the bottom region of the keyboard, and in some boards, monophonic sounds have a user parameter where you can set them within their zone to play the lowest note, highest note, or last note struck. By layering a "low note priority" mono sound over the bottom section of the keyboard, he should be able to get the effect he is describing. However, it can be a little tricky to play. Going back to the example of the left hand playing a C major chord, yes, the bass will play the bottom C, but if (for example) you lift that finger before you lift the rest of your fingers, your bass note may immediately jump up to the E, which you might not want. Or perhaps more common, you lift your entire left hand to move it to another chord, and if your right hand is playing something that is still within the bass sound's zone, the bass note could jump all the way to your lowest right hand note. But this approach could still provide a potential solution, and then at least some of the other boards we've mentioned become viable possibilities again.
Last edited by anotherscott on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:34 am

So, getting back to the 560, yes the keyboard can be split and can have two layers on the top and on the lower split.
It can also work in duet mode, split down the middle the left player hears the left speaker ... etc.

In one of the earlier posts I thought I read that the OP wanted the lower note to be doubled an octave lower, but now I agree that we're talking about acompaniment capability.

So, here is a small extract from the section on accompaniment.

AutoHarm3.jpg
AutoHarm3.jpg (142.95 KiB) Viewed 186 times
I spent some time looking at reviews on-line. I wasn't at all sure about the blue colour.
A lot of time looking at the various YouTube videos where the product was shown, just to create a shortlist.
But, at the end of the day, what convinced me was to try out the keyboard locally.

Regards, :whistle:
JohnG.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5 ... and now CFX lite.
United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:03 pm

Yes, John, that's the stuff relevant to what he seems to want to do, the lowest keyboard note note is treated as the bass note... I think the other half of the equation is, will it play that way without actually initiating a rhythm/accompaniment track as well, or with some ability to silence the other parts... and the answer appears to be yes! The manual shows that you can mute individual parts of the accompaniment. I think we have a winner!

User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:25 pm

Yes, you can mute whatever bits of the accompaniment you want, it seems, and just have chords or bass notes playing.

I'm quite sure I haven't discovered half of what this little blue beast can do.
And it sounds good too, at least it does to me.
Chris (Parametric) came over one day and tried it, and seemed to find it okay too.

But you gotta test it to see if it suits you.
User avatar Malaysia
Maevinarsh

Unread post by Maevinarsh » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:07 pm

Hello guys. I have reviewed a few keyboards mentioned above. I really love synthesizers, but it seems synthesizers dont come with bass chord. Only ARRANGERS come with bass chord. So I was suprised with the korg havian 30, its around my budget, has bass chord, it has alot of sounds, its 88 keys and hammered. Just perfect,
But i have 2 problems with it,
First of all, i really dont want that stand for the havian 30, i more prefer the 'X' stand used by most of the keyboards, workstations and synthesizers.
And the second, I dont know that if the Havian 30 has quality sounds. I want quality at the voice of the sound.
So my questions are:
1) Can i buy an 'X' stand and use it in this keyboard?
2) KORG PA 600 VS YAMAHA PSR SERIES KEYBOARDS VS KORG HAVIAN 30
In terms of quality and quantity, which one is better?

Thanks In Advance.
Ill do more reviews about the other keyboards mentioned above in this thread.
United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:49 pm

Maevinarsh wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:07 pm
1) Can i buy an 'X' stand and use it in this keyboard?
Sure. Gravity knows no brand. ;-) Korg's own furniture-style stand is optional.
Maevinarsh wrote:
Quantity? You can download the manuals and see the sound lists.
Quality? More subjective, and you probably won't easily find people who have owned them all. Youtube videos could be one source of sound comparison. You could also try asking on a more arranger-specific forum, i.e. synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/37/1/General_Arranger_Keyboard_Foru

But since the others don't come in 88 keys, does it matter? Maybe the comparison you really want to make is Havian 30 to Casio PX560.
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:54 pm

I don't have enough experience with different brands to try to answer the second question. But as far as the first question, I think the main thing to be careful of using an X stand with an 88-note keyboard is that you keep the arms far enough apart to adequately support the keyboard. The two extremes are where the stand is set up to its lowest possible height, in which case the arms will be as far apart as possible, and where the stand is set up to its tallest possible height, in which case the arms will be as close together as possible. The lowest setting is the ideal height for sitting down while playing, and is going to give the most stable support for an 88-note keyboard. The tallest setting is the ideal height for standing up while playing, and is going to give the least stable support for an 88-note keyboard due to the amount of keyboard that will be jutting out to the left and right-- probably still okay if you're playing normally, but maybe not okay if you're pounding on the lowest or highest keys.

The other thing to be careful of with an X stand is that if the bolts break then the stand will collapse and the keyboard will go crashing to the floor. A heavy keyboard is going to put more stress on the bolts, so pay attention to how much weight the stand is supposed to be able to support, and don't go over that weight. It sounds like you're hoping to get a more light-weight keyboard, anyway, so hopefully you won't need to worry about this so much.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:01 pm

Oh yes... I meant to mention that too... X-stands will work, but you can get better stands that are more stable in more situations and less prone to failure. Though X-stands themselves vary in quality as well.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:46 pm

Maevinarsh wrote:

Thanks In Advance.
Ill do more reviews about the other keyboards mentioned above in this thread.
If you absolutely must have an 88 note hammer action keyboard then there is no point in bringing things like the PA600 and PSR's into the mix. As I think some of us have mentioned before there really are very few keyboards that have all the features you require.

Right now I would say your only choices are between:

KORG Havian 30
Casio PX-560
Yamaha DGX-660

And out of those three and given the features you wanted the KORG Havian 30 looks like the best suited for you. It sounds great, has the 88 note hammer action keys you want plus almost 1000 sounds and a really good touch screen interface as well as buttons to navigate around. It is also well within your price range.

The Casio PX-560 is more powerful but not as easy to use...for what you want to use it for. This would probably be my own choice out of the three but I don't actually need an arranger type keyboard and the Casio's other features including the HEX synth part would fit well with me.

The Yamaha DGX-660 is again a very nice keyboard and I think it covers a lot of what you need so it might be worth checking out but from what I have seen I think the KORG Havian 30 fits your needs better.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:40 am

Some other differentiators: Havian probably has the beefiest built-in speakers of the three, but has no audio in (you can't run any external sound through its speakers, as you can on the Casio and Yamaha). The Casio is the only one with separate line outputs, the others require you to use the headphone jack if you want to connect to external amplification (which I think will also shut off the internal speakers). The Casio is the only one with standard MIDI jacks, which makes it more flexible for directly connecting with other MIDI gear.

In terms of Casio, the less fully featured PX-360 might work, too, though the PX-560 is better and still within budget. The new CDP-S350 and forthcoming PX-S3000 might also work. I think the chord/arranger features of these models are probably all pretty similar.

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”