(VERY URGENT) Don't know which keyboard to buy...

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
anotherscott

Re: (VERY URGENT) Don't know which keyboard to buy...

Unread post by anotherscott » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:19 pm

Another factor in comparing is how much you're relying on the internal speakers vs. external amplification. At least on paper, the Havian seems to have much beefier speakers. So one might end up thinking, for example, the Havian piano is better than the Casio piano when both are played through their internal speakers, but perhaps the reverse when both are played through quality external amplification. (Sound quality through their internal speakers is also something that would be very hard to discern from videos... plus most videos are recorded direct anyway.)
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:22 am

Even in the "real" piano market, some go for a Steinway, others for a Yamaha CFX, still others for a Bechstein, and so on.

It really is, in my view, crucial to try to have a listen and a play to see how well you like the sound and the feel of the keyboard.
There's nothing worse, after the long search, than to have the instrument arrive, unpack and set it up, and then ... "Oh! No."

JohnG.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:37 am

So Maevinarsh, it really does come down to what YOU like not what everyone else likes. Although if I understand correctly you are perhaps really concerned about what sounds and looks "professional" as you do play live and obviously want to give the best impression you can?

The answer to that would be that all of the keyboards we have discussed are of a pro level. They could all easily be used for gigging and sound great.

When we talk about preferring one keyboard over another...purely as far as sounds are concerned not features we are not saying that one is better than another, but that for each of use we prefer the sound of one over another?

You could give a fine performance with any of the keyboards we have discussed. The most important thing is YOU have to like it. You need to enjoy playing it and in terms of features it needs to do what you want it to do.

I know it is difficult if you cannot try the keyboards yourself but in that situation I would first make a list of all the essential things I need the keyboard to be able to do and go through the spec of each one to find the keyboard that ticks most of my requirements.

Then listen to the online demos of each keyboard, preferably finding videos that demonstrate a wide selection of sounds that you would actually use.

Decide which sound you like the most and compare it's features with your list of requirements. If it doesn't tick all the boxes but you think it sounds great then decide what you can compromise on.

It has to be a process of elimination but you can't rush these things, unless of course you need to purchase something right now, in which case just make sure you buy from somewhere you can return it to if you don't like it.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Cayman Islands
jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by jima » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Maevinarsh wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:55 pm
But I'm hoping for more opinions from everyone.
It occurs to me, that is unlikely to help with a VERY URGENT decision :)
Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:20 am

Well I guess "Urgent" is relative? For me "urgent" would be within a few days but for others it might be within a month. However there is usually not much to be gained from a rush decision especially when buying musical instruments, unless of course the aim is just to get you through one gig and you just need something to tied you over.

Out of all the keyboards we have discussed here I would still go for the Casio PX560 or if things were less "urgent" I would hang on and get the PX-S3000. Ok not quite as versatile as the PX560 but it would suite my own needs just fine and I like the look and feel of it :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:45 am

Saul wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:20 am
Out of all the keyboards we have discussed here I would still go for the Casio PX560 or if things were less "urgent" I would hang on and get the PX-S3000. Ok not quite as versatile as the PX560 but it would suite my own needs just fine and I like the look and feel of it :)
I'm with you, Saul, on this analysis and, as I wrote in another thread, at this price what one buys will be a compromise.

Having made decisions about the features one needs and, very carefully having prioritised them, one then should go for what closest meets one's own needs. For around a grand (UK prices) the PX560 (in my view) is an incredibly good instrument. IMV again there's nothing on the market at the price that comes anywhere near close. If looks are the key criterion then wait for the 3000.

I suspect Casio will replace the 560 in a year or two with some new marvel, meanwhile I'll have been playing for a few years, having fun.

Listening to Bach, :whistle:
JohnG.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Urgencies can change very easily. Something that is extremely urgent at a particular moment in time can suddenly become a great deal less urgent if the original deadline passes by without being met. It happens all the time. :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:03 pm

If the OP is still looking, I just came across this relevant interesting feature of the hammer action Dexibell Vivo S3 Pro and S7 Pro (73 and 88 keys respectively)... you can have two sounds above a split, and an additional sound PLUS a bass sound below the split. The manual says, "If the Lower part is active {i.e. you have assigned the additional sound below the split}, the bass part is monophonic and the leftmost note played on the keyboard is added." So then you could play a left hand chord part and only the lowest note will be your bass sound.

It actually sounds similar to what I talked about as "option 2" at the bottom of my post in this thread from Feb 21, something which you should be able to do on a variety of boards, but in this case, you don't have to figure out how to make it do what you want, it is already factory setup to easily select that behavior, and since they have specifically programmed it for this purpose, maybe it works more smoothly.

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”