Yamaha RM50 manager (voice editor and rhythm kit editor)

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Fozzer, Saul

tux
Kiribati

Re: Yamaha RM50 manager (voice editor and rhythm kit editor)

Unread post by tux » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:51 pm

Rigo wrote: But is there something I can do (in the Manager or on the RM50) to check if the connection is as it should be ? Or am I stuck here with only 1-way communication ?
Yes, the Windows version is one way communication only.

If you open up the 'Rythm Kit Editor' window (under 'Edit'), there are Note buttons on the left hand side column, try pressing some of them and see if the MIDI LED on the RM50 lights up.
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)

Rigo

Unread post by Rigo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:00 pm

tux wrote:If you open up the 'Rythm Kit Editor' window (under 'Edit'), there are Note buttons on the left hand side column, try pressing some of them and see if the MIDI LED on the RM50 lights up.
Tried this and the RM50 produced some noise ... so that part seems to be OK ((i))
tux wrote:Yes, the Windows version is one way communication only.
I'm looking into it a bit, if MCI is used under windows it only supports midi out ... have to find out what the Perl library is actually using (or told to use).

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Rigo wrote:
tux wrote:If you open up the 'Rythm Kit Editor' window (under 'Edit'), there are Note buttons on the left hand side column, try pressing some of them and see if the MIDI LED on the RM50 lights up.
Tried this and the RM50 produced some noise ... so that part seems to be OK ((i))
Ok, then all MIDI communication from the RM50 Manager to the RM50 should work.
I'm looking into it a bit, if MCI is used under windows it only supports midi out ... have to find out what the Perl library is actually using (or told to use).
I'm using this library:
Win32API::MIDI - Perl extension for MS Windows 32bit MIDI API
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Win32API-MIDI/MIDI.pm

MIDI IN is supported by that library and it follows very closely the official Microsoft 'C' API syntax, but that Microsoft API is very complicated (at least for me), that's why I gave up on MIDI IN on Windows, the Linux API is much easier.

The source code can also be seen here (the github source is slightly newer than the source in the Windows exe): https://github.com/tux99/rm50_manager
I did put comments in the code where the Windows MIDI IN code is missing (something like this: # add Windows specific code here ).
My Yamaha RM50 page

Rigo

Unread post by Rigo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:08 pm

tux wrote:I'm using this library:
Win32API::MIDI - Perl extension for MS Windows 32bit MIDI API
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Win32API-MIDI/MIDI.pm

MIDI IN is supported by that library and it follows where closely the official Microsoft 'C' API syntax, but that Microsoft API is very complicated (at least for me), that's why I gave up on MIDI IN on Windows, the Linux API is much easier.

The source code can also be seen here (the github source is slightly newer than the source in the Windows exe): https://github.com/tux99/rm50_manager
I did put comments in the code where the Windows MIDI IN code is missing (something like this: # add Windows specific code here ).
I noticed that piece of code already :)
At the moment I am trying to run the application in a debugger (ptkdb), but I have problem with the ini file not being found ... probably something to do with the working directory not being the application directory when debugging (edit: or more correct, whenever I run the script). Don't know if there is any difference in behaviour on Linux.
Edit2: of course it didn't find it, it was not there. So I copied the one from the built version and now i can try to find out about the midi in things ...

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Ok, just saw your Edit2 so my post is no longer relevant. :)
My Yamaha RM50 page

Rigo

Unread post by Rigo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:00 pm

I am making a bit of progress ... managed to get an input-object so a midi input can be selected. Still need work on how to encode the midi messages, and the big work is the callback function. As far as I understand the code, the ALSA library is synchronous. For Windows in stead one needs to keep track of which request was sent to know what to do in the callback. I can only hope that Windows will handle the part of getting all the data and only calls the callback when it can present a buffer with everything in it ... But that is for another day.

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:11 pm

Rigo wrote:I am making a bit of progress ... managed to get an input-object so a midi input can be selected. Still need work on how to encode the midi messages, and the big work is the callback function. As far as I understand the code, the ALSA library is synchronous. For Windows in stead one needs to keep track of which request was sent to know what to do in the callback. I can only hope that Windows will handle the part of getting all the data and only calls the callback when it can present a buffer with everything in it ... But that is for another day.
Sounds great, ((i)) yes ALSA is synchronous (at least the way I implemented it, can't remember if it would be possible to implement asynchronously too).
My Yamaha RM50 page

Rigo

Unread post by Rigo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:46 pm

No progress ... looking at the files in http://search.cpan.org/~hayashi/Win32API-MIDI/MANIFEST
There is some more example code in there, that seems to be a mix of synchronous and asynchronous ??? Having the program simply wait for 1 second to check if some data was returned doesn't seem very efficient to me.
I will install a Visual Studio, so I can take a better look at those midi function calls.

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:48 pm

Rigo wrote:No progress ... looking at the files in http://search.cpan.org/~hayashi/Win32API-MIDI/MANIFEST
There is some more example code in there, that seems to be a mix of synchronous and asynchronous ???
That's why I gave up on 'MIDI IN' on Windows, it looked too hard to me and I don't have much patience to try to understand needlessly complicated Microsoft logic (especially since I don't personally use Windows anyway).
I will install a Visual Studio, so I can take a better look at those midi function calls.
Good luck! I hope you succeed as most RM50 Manager users are Windows users (most downloads are for the Windows package) so you would make quite a few people happy if you get 'MIDI IN' working.
My Yamaha RM50 page

Rigo

Unread post by Rigo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:02 pm

Still ongoing ... installed Visual Studio Express 2013 so I can start experimenting with the Win32 Midi API.

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Sat May 30, 2015 8:22 am

Rigo wrote:Still ongoing ... installed Visual Studio Express 2013 so I can start experimenting with the Win32 Midi API.
I managed to get MIDI IN working on Windows!! :mrgreen:

I have it currently working fine in my Matrix-1000 Editor that I have been writing and that I will release in the near future.
As soon as find the time for it I will include the MIDI IN code also in the RM50 Manager.
My Yamaha RM50 page

lostvessel

Unread post by lostvessel » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi Tux, I'm wondering if your editor can be used with the RY-30 too?
I'm on win 7, have tried it with no luck, but as a bit of a newb I'm unsure as to how to use midi-ox alongside it. I'm hoping so bad its possible, am I wasting my time?
Cheers

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:52 pm

lostvessel wrote:Hi Tux, I'm wondering if your editor can be used with the RY-30 too?
No unfortunately not. While the RY30 is very similar to the RM50, the sysex has differences and the synth engine of the RY30 is a simplified version of the RM50 with less parameters, so the two are not compatible.
My Yamaha RM50 page

lostvessel

Unread post by lostvessel » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:14 pm

Ahh what a shame, but glad to know for sure, so thanks for replying.
I have been having trouble getting Midi Quest to connect with the RY30 too. Wondering if thats the sysex issue again.
If I find any sound editing solution I'll post it on these forums. Cheers again, your editor looks great !

Ego_Shredder
Great Britain

Unread post by Ego_Shredder » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:46 am

I've never had much luck using MIDI Quest either on any of my synths and modules etc.
Yamaha SY55, TG55 + ALL WAVE & DATA card sets. Yamaha MU100R x4 + PLG100-VH, VL, DX, PLG150-AN, DR, AP. Yamaha RY30 x2 + ALL card sets. Yamaha RM50. Kawai K1r + 32MB RAM card + ALL sound data cards. Kawai MM-16 16ch MIDI Mixer. AKAI MPD-16. Casio CSM-1. Various studio rackmount gear, mixers, microphones, MIDI problem solvers & Quested S7 active monitors. Edirol UA-101. IBM Thinkpad Z61p. Steinberg Cubase 5.1 + various software and plugins + Yamaha Studio Manager for the PLG expansion boards.

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”