Midi dgx 660

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

Padking

Midi dgx 660

Unread post by Padking » Tue May 03, 2016 3:21 pm

Just bought a dgx 660. Cant get the keyboard to respond to midi from my daw
when I am using the piano room. Hope this is not default, kind of stupid to have a great piano
sound but can't use it in midi. Also no sustain on the left instrument of dual ?????? really !
with the available polyphony of the dgx I don't understand .

Richard

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Re: Midi dgx 660

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Tue May 03, 2016 6:31 pm

What are you trying to do-- play MIDI to the keyboard using a voice that you've set up with the Piano Room function, or something else? And what do you mean about the keyboard not responding to the MIDI? Is it not playing the notes you're sending to it from the DAW, or is it playing them with a different voice, or what?

Assuming it's the latter-- that the keyboard is playing the notes, but not using the voice you've set up in the Piano Room-- then you might try the following:

(1) Set up the voice, effects, etc. as desired in the Piano Room.

(2) Connect the keyboard to the computer and get the DAW ready for recording.

(3) Use the "Initial Send" function on the keyboard to send the MIDI messages for the current setup to the DAW so you can record them.

(4) Put those recorded MIDI messages at the start of your MIDI track, followed by the Note On/Off messages.

When you play the MIDI track to the keyboard, the notes should play using the desired voice and settings.

Michael Rideout
Yamaha PSR-E433, PSR-E443, YPT-400

Padking

Unread post by Padking » Tue May 03, 2016 6:47 pm

I can send midi from my dgx to logic when I am in piano room When I want to play back those same notes from my daw
the DGX does not receive the midi notes ( I have a korg m3 and the same notes are played back by the M3)

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Tue May 03, 2016 8:19 pm

It doesn't receive them at all, or it doesn't receive them if you're in the Piano Room screen? What happens if you exit back out of the Piano Room and all other Function menus after getting the voice set up as you want-- can it receive the notes then?

I apologize for all the questions. I don't have a DGX, but I know someone who has a DGX-650, so I'll ask her about it, but I want to be sure I ask the question correctly. :)

Michael Rideout

Padking

Unread post by Padking » Tue May 03, 2016 8:52 pm

No problem, thank you for taking the time, my DGX 660 will play back the notes recorded on the daw only
in voice mode, as soon as I push the piano room mode the playback stops.
So in voice mode in and out midi, in piano room mode only the midi from the DGX to the daw works,
from the daw to the piano nothing.
By the way I use mac os 10.10.5 my daw is logic pro X 10.2.2

Thank you

Richard

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed May 04, 2016 4:41 am

I guess that must be the way it's designed to work. Does the DGX-660 maintain the piano voice that you've set up in Piano Room mode when you switch back to Voice mode? Anyway, I'll ask some DGX-6xx owners that I know.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I just realized that the DGX-650 doesn't have the Piano Room feature; it's new to the DGX-660.

I've looked at the DGX-660 Owner's Manual and Data List in more detail. It appears that all of the settings which are available in Piano Room mode are also available-- and can actually be controlled with greater freedom-- outside of the Piano Room, with the exception of the LID POSITION:

[1] ENVIRONMENT = Reverb Type
Inside Piano Room only five Reverb Types are available. Outside Piano Room 42 Reverb Types are available.

[2] PIANO = Piano Voice
Inside Piano Room only four Piano Voices are available. Outside Piano Room 10 panel Piano Voices are available, plus over a dozen more XG Piano Voices.

[3] LID POSITION
Apparently this is available only inside Piano Room, but the Owner's Manual doesn't explain what it actually does-- affect the Main Voice Volume? affect the Main Voice Reverb Level? affect the Master EQ Type? etc.-- so for all I know its effects can be duplicated outside of Piano Room.

[4] DETAIL [BANK] TOUCH = Touch Response sensitivity
Inside Piano Room only three Touch Response settings are available. Outside Piano Room all four Touch Response settings are available (the fourth setting being "Fixed" or off).

[4] DETAIL [1] TUNE = Tuning
This is also available from the Function menu.

[4] DETAIL [2] DAMPER RESONANCE
This is also available from the Function menu.

So with the possible exception of the LID POSITION, it appears that Piano Room mode simply brings specific functions or options together in a single pair of screens, thus making them more readily accessible than if you had to navigate through the Function menu to find them-- although this greater convenience also comes with the price of having fewer options to choose between.

Michael Rideout

Padking

Unread post by Padking » Wed May 04, 2016 4:59 pm

Thank you for your reply Michael, I have contacted Yamaha support and waiting for a response,
they have suggested to install the more recent driver which I did with no result.
I am keeping this page in my bookmark and will transmit the information so It can be of
use for others DGX owners.

I am sure I can have almost the same result in voice mode, but with a lot of tweaking, and
I am not sure if the DGX will keep that work in memory after shut down. Well it's back to the owners manual!
I suppose.

Thanks again

Richard

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed May 04, 2016 7:59 pm

Yes, after you create a customized setup by selecting a voice, reverb type, etc., you can save those settings to a Registration for later recall if you wish. And since everything else in the Piano Room mode is available via other means, I'd be surprised if the effects of the LID POSITION aren't available as well-- although without any explanation of what that setting does, it's difficult to know what it affects.

Anyway, perhaps Yamaha Support will be able to help you accomplish what you want. :)

Michael Rideout

PierP

Unread post by PierP » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:17 pm

sorry for writing here (if OT please apologize) but I'm looking for a super fast info about MIDI connection:

Talking about FlowKey app, it possiible to connect an iPad directly to back USB-B port (iPad->Lighting->USB-A to USB-B adapter ->DGX660), or is it mandatory to use a USB-MIDI converter? ((iPad->Lighting->USB-A->MIDI Conferter->DGX660)?

I can't really understand why they use that silly USB B port making all things more complicate, with no one benefit at all :roll:

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi PierP - and welcome to the forums . . .

I know there are a number of iPad users in here - I'm sure someone will get back to you on this . . .

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Hello, PierP!
PierP wrote:sorry for writing here (if OT please apologize)
Generally speaking, if you want to post a question or comment that isn't directly related to an existing topic, it's better to start a brand new topic with an appropriately descriptive subject line than to tack your post onto the end of an existing topic.

In this case, your question is about MIDI and the DGX-660, so it does fall under the subject line of the original post, even if it isn't directly related to the original post per se. :)
PierP wrote:Talking about FlowKey app, it possiible to connect an iPad directly to back USB-B port (iPad->Lighting->USB-A to USB-B adapter ->DGX660), or is it mandatory to use a USB-MIDI converter? ((iPad->Lighting->USB-A->MIDI Conferter->DGX660)?

I can't really understand why they use that silly USB B port making all things more complicate, with no one benefit at all :roll:
I don't have a DGX-660, nor do I have an iPad with a Lightning port, but I do have an iPad with the older port, as well as a few Yamaha PSR-E/YPT keyboards, and I use an iPad Camera Connection Kit to connect my keyboards to my iPad. You do not need to use a USB-MIDI adapter, as those are only required for connecting a keyboard that has only standard MIDI ports to a computer's USB port.

When buying the Camera Connection Kit, be sure to get the version that's for a Lightning connection, since your iPad has a Lightning port.

You shouldn't even need to install Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver on the iPad, because your keyboard should be able to work with the iPad's built-in drivers. (In fact, Yamaha doesn't even make a USB-MIDI driver for the iOS operating system, since none is needed.)

Michael Rideout

PierP

Unread post by PierP » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:51 am

SeaGtGruff wrote: I don't have a DGX-660, nor do I have an iPad with a Lightning port, but I do have an iPad with the older port, as well as a few Yamaha PSR-E/YPT keyboards, and I use an iPad Camera Connection Kit to connect my keyboards to my iPad. You do not need to use a USB-MIDI adapter, as those are only required for connecting a keyboard that has only standard MIDI ports to a computer's USB port.
When buying the Camera Connection Kit, be sure to get the version that's for a Lightning connection, since your iPad has a Lightning port.
You shouldn't even need to install Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver on the iPad, because your keyboard should be able to work with the iPad's built-in drivers. (In fact, Yamaha doesn't even make a USB-MIDI driver for the iOS operating system, since none is needed.)

First of all thanks for your reply! :)
what I can't really understand is why Yamaha engineers took this crazy decision to use a totally dumb and outdated USB B socket rather than a super standard USB A one! In my specific case, the only reason why i want to connect the ipad to the keyboard is to use FlowKey app via cable (to practice through the earphones even at late night..). I don't need to do anything else via "MIDI", and actually it is just crazy that it is not possibile to connect the iPad into front USB socket..

Now, if i'm right, to connect an iPad I've 3-4 options... either super expensive or complicate..
- to buy an USB-B male -> USB-A female adapter (cheap but extremely rare to find) and then to connect it with the standard lighting USB cable
- to spend 40 eur for a iPad Camera Connection Kit..... :roll: :cry:
- to buy a cheap USB-Midi adapter (15eur) BUT in any case I'll need another USB-A female/female adapter to plug my iPad..
- to by a nice iRig MIDI 2 for 80 eur only...

WHY this big mess!?!? ?!? :roll: :roll: :roll:

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Regarding the type of USB connection, A or B, this isn't something Yamaha gets to decide, as it's the way USB was designed.

A standard USB cable, often called "a USB printer cable," has two different ends-- a flattish male A plug on one end, and a squarish male B plug on the other end. When connecting a peripheral device such as a printer, external drive, musical keyboard, etc. to a computer via USB, the squarish male B plug of the USB cable is plugged into a female B port on the peripheral device, and the flattish male A plug of the USB cable is plugged into a female A port on the computer. This is universal-- B port on USB peripheral device to A port on USB host (usually a computer).

The DGX-660 and other Yamaha models have two USB ports-- an A port labeled "USB TO DEVICE" for plugging in a USB flash drive, and a B port labeled "USB TO HOST" for connecting to a computer, laptop, tablet, phone, or other USB host. If the USB host has mini-A or micro-A ports rather than standard-sized A ports, you'll need to either buy an appropriate adapter for the A end, or buy a special USB cable with a standard B plug on one end and a mini-A or micro-A plug on the other end.

The problem you've run into with the iPad isn't Yamaha's fault for using a USB B port to connect to a computer or other USB host; it's Apple's fault for using a proprietary type of connection and not including an industry-standard USB A port (of any size) on the iPad. That's why the Camera Connection Kit needs to exist at all-- so people can connect a peripheral device with its industry-standard USB port to their iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch with its non-industry-standard proprietary port.

I don't think all of the options you've listed will work:

- I've never tried the female-A to male-B adapter approach, so I don't know whether it would work.
- The Camera Connection Kit will work, as long as you buy the correct version.
- I don't understand the USB-MIDI adapter idea, because the DGX-660 doesn't have MIDI ports.
- I don't understand the iRig MIDI 2 idea, because the DGX-660 doesn't have MIDI ports.

Yamaha makes a special adapter for connecting to an iPad/iPhone/iPod touch-- the i-UX1. However, I don't know whether there are different versions of it depending on whether your iOS device has a Lightning port or the older type of port. In any case, it's more expensive than the Camera Connection Kit, so the Camera Connection Kit would be the most inexpensive solution-- unless the female-A to male-B adapter works.

If your iPad (EDIT: iPad apps) can use a Bluetooth MIDI connection, another possibility would be to get the UD-BT01 from Yamaha; you plug the UD-BT01 into a wall socket, connect it to your keyboard using a standard USB cable, and it lets your keyboard send and receive MIDI data via Bluetooth. But a Camera Connection Kit is less expensive.

iConnectivity makes other interfaces besides the iRig, and some of them might work-- but a Camera Connection Kit is less expensive.

Michael Rideout

PierP

Unread post by PierP » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:20 am

SeaGtGruff wrote:Regarding the type of USB connection, A or B, this isn't something Yamaha gets to decide, as it's the way USB was designed.
Thanks for your detailed reply and all the time you spent on this matter, I really appreciated!

Regarding MIDI ports, you are totally right! I based my words on "iphone/ipad connection manual", but I didn't check DGX back panel! So, let's forget about MIDI ports (unfortunately).

That said, I don't quite agree on your statement above.
USB port design doesn't fall under Yamaha's umbrella (of course) but socket type choice definetly YES!
is there any techical reason to prefer an outdated USB-B instead of a super common, super standard USB-A?
No. It's just a commercial reason... to push users to buy a 70 eur i-UX1 cable that, by the way, doesn't work with lighting devices..

So, today I'll likely receive my USB-B/USB-A adapter (8 eur..), and I'm keeping all fingers crossed.
If this doesn't work, the other viable solutions will be the camera connection cable (35 eur) or the 55 eur Udbt01 adapter..
In any case, at leats 35 eur totally wasted for a stupid USB socket...

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:47 pm

PierP wrote:No. It's just a commercial reason... to push users to buy a 70 eur i-UX1 cable
In all likelyhood, pointed out by "an accountant".

Sadly the "Balls to the Wall" business model that has become the norm, is the reason for this.

Being advised to squeeze the last penny out of the business as PROFIT, has led to the abandonment of "contingency plans" as a waste of money . . .

Historically there is enough evidence that we are NOT VERY GOOD at foretelling the future, especially what the market will or will not do.

The Wall Street Crash (1929?) and various BLACK x-days (insert chosen day-of-the-week here) is proof enough . . .

Therefore, the sort of "Bottom-line Mentality" that discredits contingency plans should be avoided - as indeed should the persons who champion this idea.

Accountants have their place as a business service, and they should STAY IN IT - to add up figures and present a total. NOTHING MORE.

Their occupation requires the "Tunnel Vision" they display. It has NO PLACE in the board room. (IMCO)

Putting a company in the position where it may go "down the tubes" at any time is just negligent and irresponsible.

Pi55ing off customers with these "stunts" is NOT going to improve sales - and we as customers should vote with our wallets and walk away . . .

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”