Midi dgx 660

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

grimep
Great Britain

Re: Midi dgx 660

Unread post by grimep » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks parametric for the advice re pedals. Another £60, dang! I'd started out thinking of getting a P105 piano off ebay for £200 for my 9 year old to see if he takes to it (along with some lessons). But as he loves his little casio with inbuilt rhythms and tunes, the 660 seems like it could be the next step, and be fun for all the family to p[lay around with.

To be fair about the Apple/Android thing, I hear that latency is an issue with Android tablets - one thing about Apple is they are good at optimising their hardware for performance. Some higher end Samsungs may have solved the latency problem. Perhaps its the MIDI drivers that come with Android that are poorly written, I've not really looked into it. Anyway, as a non iPad owner, I can't really justify buying one just for a couple of apps to go with a keyboard. I'm not a fan of Apple (I've used their products professionally since the 1980s) - their high costs and proprietary connections have always been a pain.

I'll have to investigate the functionality of any apps that Yamaha provide and see if there are any PC or perhaps even Android equivalents. I'm trying to make a buying decision - I might actually be better off buying something with fewer bells/whistles (that might not actually work) and putting the money into piano lessons etc. I'll read the manual and my local music shop stocks them so I'll go in for a demo some time too. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:33 am

Android sorted out the latency issues some time ago but still the vendors seem to prefer developing for the iPad. I think it's probably the same issue as with the PC in that there are so many different android devices but only the one iPad/iPhone to design for. Keeps development costs down and reliability up.

You said your little boy likes his Casio. You know Casio make some great piano's and arranger keyboard for a lot less than you would pay for a Yamaha. Don't be put off by the name. A Casio will easily stand up against a Yamaha PSR or DGX in terms of sounds and functionality.

Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Original Scarab On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Website Design & Managed Hostingwww.rabbittree.uk

grimep
Great Britain

Unread post by grimep » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:04 pm

I had considered Roland and Casio, but Yamaha seems to keep coming top in recommendations, but I'll take another look. This is just from googling of course, listening to A/B testing videos on youtube, etc. Back when I had a small home studio I owned Sequential Circuits, Korg, Roland and others but Yamaha never really fitted in with my sound or workflow, so don't have any strong feelings about make. I guess piano sounds and keyboard action are the #1 priorities for my a child learning keyboards, and any learning aids or things that are just fun to keep him interested are bonuses.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:18 pm

Yeah grimep - 60 quid - but a "good spend" for what it gives IMO . . .

If you are hoping your little lad might "learn the Piano" then, as close to a Piano as possible is good . . . .

The Bells and whistles can come later - so to speak . . .

When I was working at the Uni. I used to Support Mac too, along with ProTools and a whole host of Music Apps - and

YES - The Mac works well, (especially since the jump to Intel) due in no small part to its restricted HW support.

Music Apps NEED stability to work well. One just has to accept that knock-on effects of either App updates and/or

OS updates are often going to have ramifications - which have to be addressed to achieve a "Quiet Life" :roll:

If you are wanting to experiment with "Pads" of various flavours - then I would recommend you look at Morgans . .

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/648/Apple-iPads/

These are refurbs and not necessarily the latest models - BUT they may provide a low-cost look-see, to see if it

does what is expected.

They also sell a huge selection of Android Pads so you could also check out THAT platform for quite a small oulay . .

My own current laptop is an HP Pavilion from Morgans which was a refurb, and has been fine . . .

ATB

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

grimep
Great Britain

Unread post by grimep » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Me again, couple of months later, summer hols and preparing for house move has got in the way of keyboards.

Well I'm being a bit lame but I can't find a casio with a weighted 88 keys that also comes with the fun stuff like a sequencer, play-along features etc. There seem to be a couple of models that do something similar but cost more than the DGX. This probably sounds like I'm being too lazy to do a proper search, but Casio, Roland and Yamaha's websites really are awful, its almost like they don't want you to discover their product ranges.

So lame Q, but what models am I missing?

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:59 am

I think the only thing Yamaha has in the way of a good 88-note GHS keyboard would be one of the P series (P-71 exclusive to Amazon, identical to the P-45 but a tad cheaper, or the P-115), but they don't have the wealth of voices and the arranger features of the DGX. Or you can check out the MX-88, which is a synth so it has plenty of sounds, but-- as far as I know-- no arranger features per se (sequencing yes, but not arranging); and the MX-88 costs a bit more than the DGX-660.

Casio has the Privia series, PX-360 and the like, but I don't know how they are with auto accompaniments.

Michael Rideout
Yamaha PSR-E433, PSR-E443, YPT-400

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”