Yamaha MEP4 - Notes holding issue

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Fozzer, Saul

Myrk-

Yamaha MEP4 - Notes holding issue

Unread post by Myrk- » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:15 pm

Hi all,

I have an issue with programming a newly acquired MEP4 midi event processor. I think Clyde knows this one well. My issue is that when programming in a +12 pitch change (or any pitch change) for any part I find the notes become forever sustained in a hold mode. I have tried using different keyboard controllers (Roland FA-06 and an Arturia Keystep), going through the MEP4 to 3 Roland boutique modules I am splitting my keybed for and pitch shifting the parts. Is there a hold setting or a pedal I should have plugged in to stop it from holding notes?

Thanks in advance!
SynthAxe | Roland G-707/GR-700, VG-99, JD-XA, FA-06, MX-1, TR-8, VP-03, JP-08, JX-03 | Novation MiniNova | Arturia Keystep, Beatstep Pro | Korg Electribe 2 Sampler | Yamaha MEP4, MJC8 | Steinberger GP-2T

Sonus

Re: Yamaha MEP4 - Notes holding issue

Unread post by Sonus » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi,

Press EDIT
Hold GROUP SELECT
Select MESSAGE FILTER

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:31 am

Hi. I don't own or know this processor, but do you have to apply this to NOTE OFF and NOTE OFF messages?

Just a thought.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.com

Myrk-

Unread post by Myrk- » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks for replies so far!

Sonus - I got that far, tried your exact settings from the image from the manual (almost identical to the settings I had programmed except I had program change on previously to ensure my Roland FA-06 can change the patch on my target module) but had no success, all notes are still holding. I've also checked to control a Novation MiniNova and that also had the note holding issue.

Derek - I thought maybe the same at first, but it would take 2 of the 4 processors to do this, and then the decay and release would be programmed by the MEP4 rather than using sliders on my synths, thus removing easy editing - not an option! In the manual it says you can do 4 way splits using 1 processor for each output to change the pitching. I then thought perhaps my FA doesn't send a note off command, but instead a 0 velocity command (I hear some synths do this), but then that should still get picked up by the master 9n.xx.yy message that I have set to specifically target just the 1 midi channel and output on the same single midi channel... shouldn't it?

Could my unit be faulty? It seems unlikely to me that all 4 processors would do the same thing if it were. Does the battery inside need changing? I tried finding the factory reset but it seems lost in the web somewhere... "Change 1 after Power Up-
Processor Select Buttons P1, P4 . Select Test #25." seems a little incomplete! The only other thing is that I am using a step down voltage box, and running it at 50hz instead of 60hz, but I doubt this would result in this issue... right? This being said, I believe it could by the revision of my firmware - 1.1 - I checked on another resource that v2.0 exists - MEP-REV2.OBJ, and on the page it had the following: (ALT NOTE OFF FORMAT), 86/08/26 - maybe this issue was resolved with that firmware?
SynthAxe | Roland G-707/GR-700, VG-99, JD-XA, FA-06, MX-1, TR-8, VP-03, JP-08, JX-03 | Novation MiniNova | Arturia Keystep, Beatstep Pro | Korg Electribe 2 Sampler | Yamaha MEP4, MJC8 | Steinberger GP-2T

Sonus

Unread post by Sonus » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:28 pm

AFAIK, there's no factory reset so I would start from UTILITY INIT ED-BUFFER.
Tested with v1.10, 9n.xx.00 note off, Oct.dly.1, C1 in => C2, C3, C4, C5 out:

Myrk-

Unread post by Myrk- » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:01 pm

Ah nuts, I already started with ED-BUFFER INIT Sonus :P But you've inspired me to do a midi-ox check myself to do a proper inspection of the units garblings.

I also sent Yamaha in China an email (I never get a response from global) and I already have the head of Yamaha Digital equipment for Asia (!) checking out to see if there ever was a factory reset or anything else, and also to dig out the old flash ROMs to allow us to update to v2, though that may require using an EPROM coder... not sure. He was very surprised that there are still people using the MEP4 in 2016 hahaha!

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”