PSR 5700 disc drive suddenly won't read my old saved compositions on disc drive

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Fozzer, Saul

smanning

PSR 5700 disc drive suddenly won't read my old saved compositions on disc drive

Unread post by smanning » Sun May 14, 2017 10:55 pm

Hello

I am new to the forum, and am hoping someone can help me.

I have just purchased a psr5700 on eBay, having had one new as a 15 year old, and used it for college re- creating music of the era and playing it at concerts and for GCSE etc. I am now an old fart, and having kept the discs to save all the rhythms and sequences had a desire to get back into it, and try and learn to play again. After setting up my new purchase, I spent an hour of nostalgia loading up many of these old songs and listening to what I had managed to do some 23 years ago.

Then disaster - the discs suddenly won't seem to load. When I press "from disc" The disc in use button doesn't light up and it says "type error or unformat". I know it's the correct format as they have been used many times. Funny thing is, the keyboard seems to be ok in formatting discs, but it won't seem to read them now.

I am gutted, and wondered if anyone can help me either replace the disk drive or replace it with USB (I have seen a thread about this but I am unclear how I can transfer the data off my discs onto USB). I have heard that part of the disk drive can become unaligned and needs replacing but being more of a user than a techie I have no idea how to do this.

The data on my floppy drives is most important for me to keep and be able to load up and use again. If anyone can offer any advice or help I would be very grateful.

Alternatively please email or pm me from the Contact: menu

I am located in Barnstaple, Devon and am happy to pay if anyone can get it fixed for me.

Thank you

Steve

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: PSR 5700 disc drive suddenly won't read my old saved compositions on disc drive

Unread post by parametric » Mon May 15, 2017 3:50 am

Hi Steve,

What you are experiencing is a common problem with the older Yamaha boards.

I just checked the Manual - and your Drive appears to be a DSDD (720k) Drive that was fitted to many Yamahas

of this era. (Including my own SY85 BTW).

The error sounds like the drive is having difficulty reading the disk.

The Disks are generally good, although they can degrade depending on their original quality and subsequent

storage conditions.

The first thing I would try is to get hold of one of these:
floppy cleaner.JPG
floppy cleaner.JPG (18.52 KiB) Viewed 314 times
They are getting hard to find these days - as are floppies (especially 720k DSDD), but last time I checked, Maplins still list them - or perhaps ebay . . .

Give the drive a thorough workout with this - the bottle contains isopropyl alcohol - which you can also ask for at the Chemist - and cheaper than buying "Head Cleaner" . . .

As your board is second user - you have no way of knowing if its EVER been cleaned - most never have :roll:

See if that helps?

There are other things that can be done, but lets try that for starters . . . . .

Let us know

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96/

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”