Yamaha APX500 - Electronics improval advice

APX series guitars are designed with a focus on playability. Their thin bodies and cutaways that provide greater access to the upper frets, offer smoother switching between electric and acoustic instruments.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

DjangoMango
Great Britain

Yamaha APX500 - Electronics improval advice

Unread post by DjangoMango » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 pm

Yamaha APX 500.png
Hey there!

First time poster on this site, so as I said when I lost my virginity - “I’m sorry if I’m doing this wrong.”
Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to help out 😊

So, I own a Yamaha APX500 electro-acoustic guitar. Not a stunning guitar I guess but it has sentimental value and I dig it. Except the electrics on it sound pretty lame and quacky and I want to spruce them up a bit. I’ve been playing a long time but I’m kind of a lazy novice when it comes to the technical side of things so I was hoping for a bit of help on this from kind souls with bigger brains than me.

Question: I’m looking for something more natural sounding for the Yamaha that I can control at open mics/live events as oppose to mic-ing the thing up. Doesn’t have to be the bee’s knees. I was thinking maybe an under-saddle pick up of some kind? Piezo pickup? I don't really know what I'm talking about but I've heard those words...The guitar has a battery powered pre-amp, I’m not sure if that could be of use…
As I said, I suck with this stuff - Can anyone suggest anything?

Many thanks 😊
(P.S. Please don’t suggest buying another guitar 😊!)
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Yamaha APX500 - Electronics improval advice

Unread post by Saul » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi DM, welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

The APX 500 is quite a nice guitar so nothing wrong there.

I have never been a big fan of piezo pickups. For me they never manage to convey the true acoustic tone of a guitar. So with that in mind and assuming you don't want to stick a mic in front of the guitar which probably wouldn't work that well given the APX's lack of natural projection I would go for either the iRig Acoustic or the iRig Acoustic Stage. I have the latter here and it works a treat. Sounds very natural and clips onto the sound hole of the guitar in seconds.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigacousticstage/
iRig Acoustic Stage.png
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigacoustic/

Definitely worth checking out I think.
Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Cabernet DC/Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS/Dowina Rustica GAC/Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Website Design & Managed Hosting - Earn 35% Commission On Referrals! www.rabbittree.uk
DjangoMango
Great Britain

Re: Yamaha APX500 - Electronics improval advice

Unread post by DjangoMango » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Fantastic, thanks so much :)

Return to “Yamaha APX Guitar Forum”