Spruce or Maple for acoustic blues..

APX series guitars are designed with a focus on playability. Their thin bodies and cutaways that provide greater access to the upper frets, offer smoother switching between electric and acoustic instruments.

Moderators: Buzzard, parametric, Derek, Saul

User avatar Greenland
ErikW

Spruce or Maple for acoustic blues..

Unread post by ErikW » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Hi

I have a 20 year old Fender MiniJumbo, which I am still fond of; but I am struggling with the buildt in Fisher PickUp system. It just doesnt sound good with my Focusrite 2i2 Second gen sound interface. I have read somewhere that Yamaha APX has the best internal pickup system in the World, and the Dawson review on youtube convinced me. The APX600 has a very atractive Price tag so that made me stop dreaming about the Gibson Parlor AG 2019, which would be overkill for me.

So the decision should be easy... but what would be the best for me - spruce or maple? The new maple versions looks good, but are quite a lot more expensive than the Spruce versions. Which one has the most bluesy sound?
I play with a heavy pick, and bend a lot. I play mostly blues and other stuff like Jack johnson, Dan Auerbach etc. I originally played Electric Guitar (Telecaster and Gibson SG) and I like a small scale acoustic guitar.

I live quite remotely in Greenland, so I cant just walk into a guitar shop and try them out.

Thanks in advance - Erik - Greenland.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spruce or Maple for acoustic blues..

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:27 am

Hi Erik, welcome to yamahamusicians.com :) As far as I know you are the first member we have had from Greenland!

Although the APX range does sound great plugged in I would not say it has THE best pickup system in the world. It is good but not more than that. For the price though it does a great job ;)

Given the sort of music you like to play...and who doesn't like playing the blues, right? I would be looking at a few others guitars but before we go down that route are you sticking to the APX600 sort of budget? I am not one for hugely expensive guitars myself and I only have two that get anywhere near £1000, most being in the £4-500 range. I have though played a lot of guitars under £300 so if that is your budget we can go through the choices?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Greenland
ErikW

Unread post by ErikW » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:03 pm

Thank you Saul.

I am not on a strictly limited budget. I could buy the expensive Gibson I mentioned above, allthough it would be a little over the top for a hobby musician like me. I will welcome any advice from you, but unfortunately I just found out that Yamaha will not allow my preferred dealer Thomann.de to send any Yamaha Guitars to Greenland. So I have to look elsewhere. Maybe an Ibanez AE315 would be a good compromise, I am still considering. Meanwhile I will stick to my old Korean made Fender JG26SCE, and use an external mike.

Best regards Erik
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi Erik

Do you know why Yamaha are not allowing Thomann to send guitars to Greenland? I have a suspicion I know why ;)

Have you tried https://www.musicstore.de ? They are dealers for a brand that I represent, Dowina. Fantastic guitars by the way :)

If I were buying Yamaha right now I would probably go for the FS-TA or FG-TA. Great guitars as standard but when you add in the TransAcoustic tech it takes things to whole new level :)

Another favourite guitar of mine from the past 12 months is the Vintage VG2000GG. That is the Gordon Giltrap signature model. It has an amazing bass end on it which works really well for me as I mostly play in dropped D. Also comes with the Fishman Presys Blend pickup system. Sounds great plugged or unplugged. Also has quite an unusual shape which I like a lot.

Maybe check out my thread here where I go through a bunch of guitars?
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12420
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Unread post by Mimasu » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:08 pm

Never knew there were maple top APX guitars. Looked them up and boy they look great.

Noticed somethng else I didn't know too. These APX600's have a shorter scale length than most oher APX's: 634 mm on a APX600 vs 650 mm on a APX 500, 700, 1000 etc. Just enough difference for a different feel.

Leon
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:29 pm

Yeah it definitely does look nice with the flame maple top :)
apx-600-flame-maple.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Greenland
ErikW

Unread post by ErikW » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:33 pm

Mimasu wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:08 pm
Never knew there were maple top APX guitars. Looked them up and boy they look great.

Noticed somethng else I didn't know too. These APX600's have a shorter scale length than most oher APX's: 634 mm on a APX600 vs 650 mm on a APX 500, 700, 1000 etc. Just enough difference for a different feel.

Leon
Yes they are short scale, I like my guitar small, as my fingers grew up on an electric Gibson SG (629mm), and get lost on a fullsize dreadnought or jumbo. My current acustic guitar Fender(R) JG26SCE has 643 mm scale. In comparison the Gibson Parlor J-165 has 628 - even smaller than the Gibson SG.
Have you seen the Dawson review on Youtube?, thats what made consider the APX600. https://youtu.be/IOXmR26JxR0
And Yes! - the Maple top looks good :music-guitarred:

Best Regards Erik.
Last edited by ErikW on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar Greenland
ErikW

Unread post by ErikW » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Saul wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:59 pm
Maybe check out my thread here where I go through a bunch of guitars?
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12420
Thanx for the input Saul. Among the guitars you have testet, it is the Ibanez AE245 that get my attention. Unfortunately its the same problem: They wont send it to Greenland due to Cites regulations.

Best regards Erik
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:16 pm

ErikW wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Thanx for the input Saul. Among the guitars you have testet, it is the Ibanez AE245 that get my attention. Unfortunately its the same problem: They wont send it to Greenland due to Cites regulations.

Best regards Erik
Ahh yes the Ibanez AE245. It's a lovely guitar and I still have it here. I really need to get a video done but we have been moving things around and testing different equipment recently. So many things to do and so little time to do it all :character-oldtimer:

The AE245 is a great all rounder. Plays really well, nice build quality as you would expect from Ibanez and of course it looks great too.

I am not sure why CITES regs would get in the way. All that it requires is that there is provenance for the materials used in the guitar, so in this case mahogany. Will need to check on this.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Greenland
ErikW

Unread post by ErikW » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:26 pm

Saul wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:16 pm
I am not sure why CITES regs would get in the way. All that it requires is that there is provenance for the materials used in the guitar, so in this case mahogany. Will need to check on this.
Its probably the rosewood fretboard. https://www.gearnews.com/cites-2017-gui ... d-species/

In the Ibanez AE315FMH-OPS they have replaced the rosewood with Maple, and there is no mahogany, so it will probably go right through. Maybe you should test that one, to see if the quality suffers from the replacement of Woods?

Best regards Erik.

Btw. I truly understands why the Cites regulations are needed; but the Chinese use huge amounts of rosewood for making ugly furniture, while we cant just get a Little bit of rosewood for our guitars :evil:

//Erik
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:09 pm

Sure but the same applies to rosewood if it is from existing stocks it can still be used and transported. Just needs to be certified.

India also has huge stocks of rosewood, a lot of it not even being used.

I do agree with the regs and we need to preserve endangered species and it has the bonus effect of encouraging guitar builders to look past the traditional and start experimenting with other woods and materials.

Have you thought about something like the Chardonnay GAC DS? This is a beautiful all solid guitar. I have one here and I absolutely love it :)

Top is solid Dolomite spruce, back and sides are solid American walnut, neck is mahogany, fingerboard and bridge are ebony and there is a bone nut and saddle.

You can see it in action played by our friend Andreas Ober here:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Unread post by Mimasu » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:53 pm

ErikW wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:26 pm
Its probably the rosewood fretboard.
Yep, must be the rosewood fretboard, in combination wit exporting from inside the EU to outside the EU. The seller needs an export license, and the buyer an import license.

So best thing to do is join the EU. There's room for a new member after march 29 :D.

Another risk of a Brexit without a deal. Besides us paying about 20% more on tax when importing from the UK, we will run into trouble buying and selling a lot of guitars as rosewood is used a lot I'm afraid :( .

Leon
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:35 am

I am not sure we will actually leave the EU. There seems to be no way through the current impasse. There is no option which satisfies a majority of the members of parliament so I can't see how an agreement would ever get passed.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Unread post by Mimasu » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:44 pm

Erik,

Can you send cites woods from Denmark to Greenland? It's the same kingdom isn't it.

Denmark is EU, so you'd just need someone in Denmark who receives the guitar and then send the guitar from there to Greenland. No unpacking needed :D

Leon
User avatar Greenland
ErikW

Unread post by ErikW » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:46 pm

Mimasu wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:44 pm
Erik,

Can you send cites woods from Denmark to Greenland? It's the same kingdom isn't it.

Denmark is EU, so you'd just need someone in Denmark who receives the guitar and then send the guitar from there to Greenland. No unpacking needed :D
Hi Leon - Thank you - I probably could. It would be quite expensive to send it though. Thomann would send it for 8 Euro by plane, I would have to pay about 100 Euro for transport by ship (3-4 weeks transport-time), if I buy the Yamaha APX600 at a Danish guitar dealer. It would still be a quite cheap guitar though. I am still considering what to do. No hurry no worry.

And yes Greenland is part of the Danish kingdom. Denmark is part of EU - Greenland is not.

//Erik