APX600

APX series guitars are designed with a focus on playability. Their thin bodies and cutaways that provide greater access to the upper frets, offer smoother switching between electric and acoustic instruments.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar United States of America
MotoMike

APX600

Unread post by MotoMike » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:20 pm

New guitar day with my APX600.

Picked for it's tone, size and price point compared to other thin bodied guitars I tried. I didn't want a loud acoustic and didn't want a big acoustic. it fits the bill.
I had read somewhere that it came with a solid spruce top. It is clear that it does not. in trying to find construction details just to satisfy my curiosity, I find some conflicting information. retained the scalloped bracing and new unscalloped bracing designed to enhance the bottom. I've seen it written that it has both mahogany and nato sides and back and that the neck is mahogany and alternately locally sourced tone woods. Yamaha does not seem to publish details about it's construction and various vendor blurbs over the years seem all over the place. Does anyone know the truth in their construction. are the back and sides solid or also laminate? Are they Nato or something else?

thanks very much
Mike
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: APX600

Unread post by Saul » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi Mike

I have a feeling that the APX600 is an all laminate guitar. The reason I say that is because Yamaha do not mention a solid top for this model or the APX500 but they specifically state "solid" for all the other models above.

It used to be the case that manufacturers would say "select" spruce as..what I think anyway was an attempt to mislead customers. By using the word "select" it implies special or in some way better when in fact the opposite was true. Now of course they just say "spruce" and then don't mention about it being laminate.

It is still a great guitar and I guess you could argue that the benefits of a solid top are somewhat lost on a thin section guitar that is aimed at people who will in all likelihood play the guitar plugged in? I'm not so sure of that :think:
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
MotoMike

Unread post by MotoMike » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:49 am

I'm sure you are correct Saul. Yamaha's silence speaks volumes. It is interesting to see so many conflicting bits from various vendors. No matter. I really didn't want a loud acoustic as late night practice would wake the missus. and if I want it loud, I can plug in. Thanks for your thoughts on this
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:26 am

I personally think it is a bit disingenuous of Yamaha and other makers when they do not specifically state laminate or solid in the specs. They KNOW that if they say "laminate" it will put people off and that is why they deliberately leave it out.

Of course laminate does not mean poor sounding. It simply means the sound you get when you buy the guitar is pretty much the sound you will always have...and is that such a bad thing? After all, you have bought it because you like how it sounds right?

Also a laminate constructed guitar will be much stronger than a semi solid/all solid guitar. Good for taking out and about on the road :)

So laminate does have benefits and perhaps it might be an idea for manufacturers to stop hiding behind vague terms and shout about how good these guitars can be? (Y)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
MotoMike

Unread post by MotoMike » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:03 am

Well said Saul. thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Yamaha APX Guitar Forum”