Endpin APX

APX series guitars are designed with a focus on playability. Their thin bodies and cutaways that provide greater access to the upper frets, offer smoother switching between electric and acoustic instruments.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar Netherlands
Janneman

Endpin APX

Unread post by Janneman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:37 pm

Goodafternoon,

Thank you for adding me to this group. I own a APX special edition 1996. The problem is that the endpin is not working properly.

Normally it works like this:

-plugin the cable
-then a red light is starting to glow and guitar is ready to be played on.

but now -when I plug in the cable there is no red starting to glow. I've taken out all the hardware to take a close look at it. Connected all the wires again and plugged in a cable. The red light is starting to glow. I was really surprised about that. Ok, try a other cable, plugged it in, no red light was glowing. Plugged in the first cable, red light was glowing, huh. I don't understand :confusion-confused:

My question is - has somebody experienced this problem? What was the solution?
I think I'm going to replace the endpin. But is a special one and where can I buy. It looks like a special one. Because when you plug in the cable the red light is glowing up. Can somebody help me to find the solution.

thanks
Jan van Duren
Holland
Advertisement
1000 Free EDM Samples
User avatar Netherlands
Mimasu

Re: Endpin APX

Unread post by Mimasu » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:45 pm

Janneman wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:37 pm
Normally it works like this:

-plugin the cable
-then a red light is starting to glow and guitar is ready to be played on.
Hi Jan,

Normally the red light on APX preamps lights up when power is low so the battery needs to be replaced. In normal operation there should not be a red light.

Check your battery and the connection from battery compartiment to preamp first before looking for another end pin connector.

Good luck,
Leon
User avatar Netherlands
Janneman

Unread post by Janneman » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:14 am

Hi Leon,

I did this already. But still not working. I think i'm going to replace it with this one. https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Ele ... _Jack.html

thanks for your answer.

regards
User avatar Netherlands
Janneman

Unread post by Janneman » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:32 pm

Image Hello, i've contacted Yamaha in Germany and I was really surprised about their answer. All the parts, preamp, endpin, for this type of APX is discontinued. So, i own now a guitar that I can use anymore and I was only asking for a new endpin without the wiring. I can solder the wiring to the endpin myself.

Unbelievable. So, so Isearch on AliExpress for a replacement and found one for only 2 euro's I will give it a try. I looks exactly the same as the endpin in the APX.

regards.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi Jan

I understand it is frustrating but this is a 23 year old guitar! I assume Yamaha would supply the whole thing as a kit...for some reason which I can't figure out but there it is. I am also sure that parts from other APX guitars would work just as well. Did you ask if there was another part you could use?

The output socket on the APX is not a complex part so I am sure any similar one would work, including the one you have sourced of AliExpress. You can also try DHGate by the way.

Do let us know how you get on with the new part?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Netherlands
Janneman

Unread post by Janneman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:25 am

Goodmorning Saul,

Thanks for your reply. I've don a lot research on this forum and I'm only going to replace the endpin. If you the prices for a new APX then it's not worth the trouble and money to repair the guitar.

thanks for your help.

regards

Return to “Yamaha APX Guitar Forum”