yamaha apx preamp problem

APX series guitars are designed with a focus on playability. Their thin bodies and cutaways that provide greater access to the upper frets, offer smoother switching between electric and acoustic instruments.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

stewart

yamaha apx preamp problem

Unread post by stewart » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:11 pm

Hello.

My name is Stewart. I was wondering if anyone could advise me regarding a problem I have with my electro acoustic guitar.

For some reason, the battery does not seem to be connecting with the preamp. It has not been dropped, left in the garden or anything like that. I have tried new batteriers, taking the preamp part out and looking, pushing the wires, pulling (gently) the wires but the light will not come on, nor will it send any sound my amp.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a common problem, an easy to fix problem, a cheap problem to get fixed etc.

The guitar is about nine years old, but it has not been too far from home at all.

Any help, advice or info would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Stewart.

p.s here is a collection of poorly coordinated people attempting ten pin bowling for anyone needing a laugh.
http://www.ejb.com/video/15782/Bowling_bloopers.html
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:26 pm

Hi Stewart,
Welcome to the Forums! I don't have much guitar knowledge, but I have dealt with many battery/connection issues over the years. Perhaps this is a single 9v battery you are dealing with? The connector/wires can be very fragile on these, quite often a wire will break (internally, not visible) from frequent turning, twisting, bending. It will appear OK but the wire is broken, the good news is that a new connector/wires is usually easy to install and available readily at a good price from any electronics parts store, etc. Otherwise, perhaps you have a transmit/receive channel problem between the guitar and preamp, perhaps the channel has been changed accidently? Hope this helps.
Clyde
stewart

Unread post by stewart » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:50 pm

Hey Clyde,

Thanks very much. That really helps.

I'll get onto fixing that tomorrow. Or trying to get my friend to fix it for me more likely.

Much obliged,

Stewart.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:33 pm

Hi Stewart.

The APX is a generally very reliable guitar, hence why it's so popular for gigging musicians around the world and one of Yamaha's most popular ranges ever.

I have not heard of any inherent problems with the electonics in the apx range so it's likely to be a bad connection as Clyde pointed out. Let us know how you get on with it ok.
Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Cabernet DC/Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS/Dowina Rustica GAC/Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Website Design & Managed Hosting - Earn 35% Commission On Referrals! www.rabbittree.uk
stevew2406

APX Preamp Issues

Unread post by stevew2406 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:03 pm

Hi Stuart

I've had an APX20 for some years now. Recently it started to make a wooshing, hissing noise when plugged into a PA system. When I spoke to the Yamaha repairs team based in Milton Keynes they told me that the APX guitars have a hybrid integrated circuit in the preamp which has been known to fail over time. Apprently after the hissing, you eventually get no output from the guitar.

This might be the problem you are experencing. Yamaha will repair it for a flat fee of £90. Call 0870 4445575 and ask to speak to one of their repair engineers who are very helpful.

Steve
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:58 pm

Hi Steve,
Welcome to the Forums! And thank you for shedding some light on this topic.
Clyde
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:17 pm

Yeah thanks for that info Steve, much appreciated :)
Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Cabernet DC/Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS/Dowina Rustica GAC/Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Website Design & Managed Hosting - Earn 35% Commission On Referrals! www.rabbittree.uk

Return to “Yamaha APX Guitar Forum”