Another Vintage Yamaha Acoustic

For over 40 years, the FG series has continued to offer outstanding quality and tone on affordable instruments. These player favorites have played countless gigs, written thousands of songs and are heard by millions of people year after year.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

Floydman
United States of America

Another Vintage Yamaha Acoustic

Unread post by Floydman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:33 pm

My newest project that I just completed is a SJ-400S. This guitar has the same dimension as my SJ-180, but solid spruce top, rosewood back/sides, upgraded tuners and inlays. Plays and sounds great. I think I'll keep this one and sell one of the SJ-180s. Did some research and found out this model is somewhat rare.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Mimasu
Netherlands

Re: Another Vintage Yamaha Acoustic

Unread post by Mimasu » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:59 pm

Great guitar :D

It's the big rosewood sister of the (mahogany) SJ180.

Here she is in a 1982 catalog (looks it was an export model only):
G-78R_011.jpg
I wouldn't let her go if I had one 8)

Leon
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:59 pm

That's a really nice looking guitar. Spruce and Rosewood are my favourite combination :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Floydman
United States of America

Unread post by Floydman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:26 pm

Thanks so mush for the catalog post Mimasu! I wish I knew about these guitars back in 1981. My first real guitar was a 1980 Guild D-25. It sounded really nice, but neck profile and nut size never worked for me. I spent the next 35+ years owning various acoustic guitars that I never felt 100% happy with. The Yamaha SJs are just a perfect fit. I can play these guitars for hours with no left hand fatigue. Also the body size is so comfortable.
Cuthbert
Italy

Unread post by Cuthbert » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:40 pm

Floydman wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:26 pm
Thanks so mush for the catalog post Mimasu! I wish I knew about these guitars back in 1981. My first real guitar was a 1980 Guild D-25. It sounded really nice, but neck profile and nut size never worked for me. I spent the next 35+ years owning various acoustic guitars that I never felt 100% happy with. The Yamaha SJs are just a perfect fit. I can play these guitars for hours with no left hand fatigue. Also the body size is so comfortable.
I have a 1981 D25, sunburst...it's interesting to hear neck profile nad nut size didn't work for you, mine is 43mmm wide and it has a C profile, neither thin or thick.
Mimasu
Netherlands

Unread post by Mimasu » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Floydman wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:26 pm
Also the body size is so comfortable.
Never played a SJ. These SJ's, I think it stands for semi jumbo, look like real jumbo's but are even smaller than a regular FG and much smaller than their big real jumbo's, the CJ's.

I have a CJ838S that feels as a very, very big guitar. Even has a longer scale than the SJ and FG. So I can imagine a SJ feels very comfortable 8).

Leon

Return to “Yamaha FG Guitar Forum”