Opinions on FG730S finish?

For over 40 years, the FG series has continued to offer outstanding quality and tone on affordable instruments. These player favorites have played countless gigs, written thousands of songs and are heard by millions of people year after year.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

allyc

Opinions on FG730S finish?

Unread post by allyc » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:04 pm

Hi Folks!
I'm a complete beginner, I've only taken a few guitar lessons so far but am really enjoying it. I've been borrowing a mate's acoustic, but now it's time to get my own. All my online research points to the Yamaha FG730S as a perfect entry-level guitar.

Unfortunately, I'm in Belfast - no local music shops stock this model so I'm going to have to trust the online reviews and money-back guarantees, purchase online, and have my knowledgeable mate check it out upon arrival.

As I'm already pretty much decided on the FG730S, that only leaves one question - which finish?! As I can't see them in the flesh, it's extremely difficult to get a feel for which is the prettiest 'In Real Life' from the Yamaha pictures (http://goo.gl/wIWA3). The most popular seems to be the Natural finish, but it looks quite plain on the Yamaha site?

So, I was hoping some of you on here may be able to help with some better pictures of the Natural and VCS. I've found some great pictures of the TBS here:
http://www.taylorguitarforum.com/forums ... 231&page=2

Does anyone have any good close-up front-on pictures of the Natural and Vintage Cherry Sunburst versions?

Many thanks!
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Opinions on FG730S finish?

Unread post by Saul » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:33 pm

Nice choice of guitar there Allyc. I am sure you won't be disappointed with it. Personally I would say don't get too hung up on the aesthetics. Often the plainest looking of guitars can produce the most wonderful of sounds. My CPX700 has a natural finish. There's something about a natural finish that just speaks "class" :)

To me the vintage cherry sunburst looks cheaper but that IS my own personal opinion you understand? Others may love it and that's fine, each to their own :)

Where are you buying from ? You do know I presume that there are quite a few Yamaha dealers in N.Ireland and three of them are in Belfast? Would be a shame not to see and try it in the flesh before buying. Have you asked if one of the dealers could order a couple in for you? They won't have any trouble selling an FG, it's one of the most popular acoustic guitar models in the world! :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
allyc

Unread post by allyc » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:49 am

Thanks for the quick reply Saul!

Yeah, totally understand there's certainly no correct answer, and I'm sure I'd grow to love any of the three. I guess I'm just being picky as it's my first ever guitar purchase :)

I've searched around and found that Matchett's in Belfast are now the only local Yamaha guitar resellers, and they normally only stock the FG700MS - close but no cigar. Good idea about asking them to order a couple in though - I didn't realise that was an acceptable request! I'll enquire tomorrow and see what they say, otherwise I may need you to point me towards a trusted online retailer :)

Cheers!
Ally
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:18 am

If you need to order online I get all my gear from www.andertons.co.uk and can highly recommend them.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
budsy

Unread post by budsy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:19 am

I purchased the Yamaha FG 730S acoustic guitar in the Vintage Cherry Sunburst in which i like

although was almost buying the Tobacco burst finish , im happy with the guitar which i bought

from stringsdirect and its where i buy my strings the 80/20 Martin 12 Guage Light strings for my Yamaha

When i ordered i personally asked them for a Gig Bag which they gave me and i slipped up also as they were willijng to change the Yamahas own make of strings for the strings of my choice

and never bothered though looking back now shouldve got them to change them Yamaha own make of strings which were dead and no use ,i had to change the strings as soon as Guitar came to me then realised the saddle end was far to high when the guitar arrived at my house

so the Guitar needed a set up (Strings lowered on the saddle end)
by that i mean the saddle side of the Yamaha FG 730S the strings were far to high
and i took my Guitar to some guy advertised as a Set up repair man and all he done was lowered the saddle a fair bit then a quick measure, then that was that and Guitar has been no probs since

Have to say i like the Guitars sound, and also done the right thing in sending back to Strings direct
the Crafter D8 guitar which was far to trebly for my liking and put the extra money to the
Yamaha FG 730S

As sais i shouldve asked guy at strings direct the Manager whom was very good to deal with that i want the saddle sanded (lowered) as they have a guy there whom dioes do such though he doesnt really touch guitars under a certain price range ..But banter is the key just ask Qs :)
tell them how you would like to play the guitar and they set it up for you as this may well save you money going to a repairman as this guy took £20 for sanding a saddle i couldve probs done myself but also worth the money someone with more experience doing such for you the 1st time on a guitar

nice sounding acoustic guitar the Yamaha and hey ask them for a Padded Gigbag
as no use a guitar with no gig bag and you dont have anymore cash to pay for such remember

This to me a Gigbag is something which should always come with a guitar but doesnt
A very good choice of Guitar but normally the saddle probs needs lowered to make it playable ..
budsy

Unread post by budsy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:20 am

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:34 am

Good to hear you finally got the guitar you were after :) I'm a bit surprised though that is was not set up properly out of the box. Yamaha usually have excellent quality control and I can only think of one Yamaha guitar I tried that would have needed slight attention due to a bit of fret buzz on the high E.

You have to be careful with guitar repairers. There are plenty of good ones out there but there are also some complete idiots who should never be let near a guitar! Best to always go on customer recommendation or take it to a good store and get them to do it. The ideal of course is to learn how to do all these things yourself, which is what I did. A good way to practice is on one of the cheap Chinese copies :)

Thanks for the link by the way. I have bought from stringsdirect myself in the past so they get a thumbs up from me for sure :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Tartanlad

Unread post by Tartanlad » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:41 am

Hi Saul,
Somehow i had to re-register again remember me budsy lol

Anyhow managed to get on this time ((i)) lol .. ye the Yamaha FG 730S is a nice guitar i reckon

one thing ive heard is that many people tend to change the saddle from the factory plastic saddle

to a bone saddle as thay say this gives the FG 730 Yamaha guitar an even better sound

i have just kept the plastic saddle the guitar came with as it sounds fine

although when i received the Yamaha FG 730 guitar it needed a set up

and i took it to a guy whom charged me £20 just for sanding the saddle as saddle height
i knew was far to high ..Meantime ok the guitar is now .

Good to have got back on the forum after some problems not being able to sign in
so made another username up etc ..meantime good guitaring to everyone
and good to be on the forum for everything Yamaha :D
Tartanlad

Unread post by Tartanlad » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:45 am

Saul wrote:If you need to order online I get all my gear from http://www.andertons.co.uk and can highly recommend them.
Also Saul thanks for the link ^^ as i think strings are better priced here

than at strings direct its well worth a check ? :D
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:04 am

Good to see you managed to log in, all be it with a different user name. Can sort your old one if you want ?

Andertons are great. Bought my Nighthawk and Apogee Jam from there last week. You get points for everything you buy which is a bonus :-) I actually went into the store this time but their mail order is super quick and they have an excellent "no quibble" returns policy. Highly recommened.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Tartanlad

Unread post by Tartanlad » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:25 am

Hi Saul,
Thanks for info regards Andertons where are they based in England

London or the Surrey area im guessing ?

As for the user name etc ill just leave it as Tartanlad now lol

as had to use another email address to get in

Meanwhile Andertons sounds cool to me ..
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:42 am

Andertons are in Guidlford, Surrey. Easy to get to off the A3. It's quite a big modern store, plenty of staff all of whom seem to be quite knowledgeable about the gear they sell. Best to visit on a weekday if possible as it can get a bit hectic at the weekend.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Tartanlad

Unread post by Tartanlad » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:20 pm

Saul wrote:Andertons are in Guidlford, Surrey. Easy to get to off the A3. It's quite a big modern store, plenty of staff all of whom seem to be quite knowledgeable about the gear they sell. Best to visit on a weekday if possible as it can get a bit hectic at the weekend.
Ok thanks for answer Saul, Was in Surrey once many moons ago in late 70s
visiting my cousins in Mitchum Surrey, meantime its to far for me to go to
from Scotland really but online i can deal with them for strings or such likes

Meantime thanks again .

Return to “Yamaha FG Guitar Forum”