PSR-E403 is detected as a MIDI device in GarageBand, but not in Input or Output

This section is for the popular E series keyboards from Yamaha. If you have a problem, need info or have tips to pass on, please post here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Kalacery Australia
Where Are You Located?: Melbourne

PSR-E403 is detected as a MIDI device in GarageBand, but not in Input or Output

Unread post by Kalacery »

Hi all,

After recently learning about the capabilities of the keyboard my uncle left me, I've tried plugging it in to my macbook through the host cable and connecting it up with GarageBand. Now the issue here is that while the keyboard works as a MIDI input, I can't use it as an audio output. Is this intended? If not I would love to know how to solve this issue.

Sorry, this is my first post on this forum!
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Re: PSR-E403 is detected as a MIDI device in GarageBand, but not in Input or Output

Unread post by Saul »

Apologies for the late response to this. I have only just noticed your post.

The PSR-E403 does not have an audio over USB interface. That USB port is for data only. So you cannot use this keyboard as an audio interface.

If you want to get audio into GarageBand you will need to take a lead from the phones/output on the back into your mac. I have only used the iMac and my AMD based Hackintosh but I believe the MacBook does have an audio input port.
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
neurosonic Ukraine
Where Are You Located?: USA

Re: PSR-E403 is detected as a MIDI device in GarageBand, but not in Input or Output

Unread post by neurosonic »

... I can't use it as an audio output
Do you mean MIDI output, as in playing back the MIDI being sent from the Mac side to your keyboard?

In case of GarageBand, alas, it's known for being MIDI-silent. It does process MIDI internally, yet none of it gets out. That's by design or rather intent...

So your PSR-E403 is relegated to MIDI controller role with GarageBand. You may try other MIDI capable DAWs, like Reaper or similar.