Fusion 6HD Low volume from main left and right outputs?

Alesis Fusion Forum. Links, info & general advice

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Fusion 6HD Low volume from main left and right outputs?

Unread post by Saul »

I keep meaning to mention this but, ever since I had issues with the power supply on my Fusion 6HD I have noticed that the volume from the main left/right outs has been very low.

With the volume at maximum on the Fusion and turned full up on my JBL 104's which are 30 watts per channel, it is still not what you would call loud. So there is something very wrong there!

The headphone out is fine.

I am wondering if that constant rebooting when the power supply failed might have also damaged something on the output side of things :think:
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
parametric Great Britain
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Where Are You Located?: Near Watford, UK

VIP

Re: Fusion 6HD Low volume from main left and right outputs?

Unread post by parametric »

I've not personally had any problems in that area, (I mostly use Cans) but check Fusion Reference page 42.

Program:Edit

Program Volume - settable 0-100% (check it's not been turned DOWN . . . . . ?

Is it Global - or just certain Programs? If Global then I suppose it could indicate some damage to the output stages?

Otherwise - perhaps take it through your mixer before going to the Speakers?

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

Some of My own Tracks: viewtopic.php?p=88899#p88899

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Curse! This means the end of the horned gramophone and the little doggie that looks in to it.

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

It is definitely quieter now than it was before the problem with the PSU.

The Holy Grail, for example, has its volume at 100% yet even with my speakers up full and the main volume on the Fusion at max It is about a third of what it should be. Yet some patches are so quiet you can hardly hear them, even though in program edit the volume is 100%. There are a few so loud they would blow the speakers!

Bear in mind I have owned two precious Fusion 6HD's so I have a good benchmark of what it should sound like. Something is not right here :think:
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
parametric Great Britain
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Where Are You Located?: Near Watford, UK

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

Maybe try a Factory Reset?

Hold down <Play> and <Record> as you power on . . . . ?

Workarounds could include - using the S/PDif out . . . does your mixer have an S/PDif I/P?

N.B. this needs a 75 ohm DIGITAL Phono lead. Regular Phono cables can be problematic . . . .

Then there's the ADAT I/F - but who has any gear with ADAT connectivity these days? (ADAT Channels 1 & 2 carry L-Out and R-Out)

There is a post in the other Forum about using a legacy piece of MOTU gear that IS equipped with ADAT with the Fusion. . . .

But then that's more gear :roll:

I'm not savvy enough about electronics to say which and "if" certain chips in the output stages could be replaced to

fix/improve this problem . . . <jokeyman123> might have an opinion . . . .?

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

Some of My own Tracks: viewtopic.php?p=88899#p88899

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Curse! This means the end of the horned gramophone and the little doggie that looks in to it.

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I could certainly run it through the mixer audio inputs. It doesn't have S/PDIF so cannot use that. However, I wanted to go straight into the monitors in order to cut out any links in the chain. I will try the mixer later today and see how that goes.

I did reset the Fusion by the way. That made no difference other than organising all the sounds as I remembered them from when I had my first Fusion :)
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

nbbasker2
Where Are You Located?: CANADA

Unread post by nbbasker2 »

Hello

Saul, were you able to solve this problem? I am experiencing the same thing on my Fusion 8HD. I’d like to know what needs to be replaced. Is it just the I/O board? The power supply? The main board? Or a combination?

I was thinking it could be as simple as a loose connection.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Bruce.
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

nbbasker2 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:52 pm Hello

Saul, were you able to solve this problem? I am experiencing the same thing on my Fusion 8HD. I’d like to know what needs to be replaced. Is it just the I/O board? The power supply? The main board? Or a combination?

I was thinking it could be as simple as a loose connection.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Bruce.
HI Bruce

In my case it wasn't the Fusion that was the problem, it was those JBL monitors. I forgot that I had different speakers before. I replaced them with a pair of Behringer USB 50's and it was all back to normal. It is often the simple things that catch us out 😂

I hope it is that simple for you. Are you having issues with both outputs or just one? Is it the same on all patches?
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook