Ave all

New to the site? Drop in here and say hello.

Moderators: Derek, parametric

Rat Lady United States of America
Where Are You Located?: USA

Ave all

Unread post by Rat Lady »

Hey everyone, I’m Jen, better known online as Rat Lady. I’m in my 40’s, live in central USA, and am happily married. What led me to this forum was an online search for a good keytar. From what I’ve seen, Yamaha makes(made?) the best. I also have 2 guitars, one of which is a Yamaha acoustic, and an electric Fender Squire. So far I’m not able to play either, but that’s not from a lack of desire. I play left handed, and no one around here can teach left handed playing because everything is in complete reverse. I’ve tried to teach myself with videos on places like YouTube, but so far nothing has worked for me. Also, I should probably note that I know nothing about “series” or “edition” when it comes to instruments. So trying to ask me questions about my gear is a lost cause.

I want to say that I’m an open book, with just a couple exceptions. I will not talk about religion or politics. Those things get too volatile, and I neither need nor want that kind of headache and drama in my life. The only other thing off limits is responding to overly personal questions.

As you can probably already tell, I tend to ramble. A lot. Also I have always sucked at intros. I tend to miss words that drastically change what I’m intending to say. So my posts can get completely convoluted and asinine from one lacking word.
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Re: Ave all

Unread post by Saul »

Hi Jen

Welcome to the forums :)

Keytars! Now there is an interesting subject, and not one raised very often here although I do have an interest.

If you think you tend to ramble I would point you to the wonderful Pink and The Keytar Cat.
https://www.youtube.com/@PinkAndTheKeytarCat

If someone can ramble she is that person, but I think she's fantastic. She also has a huge selection of keytars, which she eventually gets around to discussing 😂

There are of course all sorts of keytars out there. Roland makes the rather wonderful AX-EDGE
https://www.roland.com/us/products/ax-edge/

Also check out the Nu-Motion REVO1 Curveboard. I have two of these prototypes.
https://nu-motion.com/?page_id=1509

As for playing/learning left hand guitar, we do have some lefties on the forum and they may be able to point in you in the right direction👍
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
shelly0624 United States of America

VIP

Unread post by shelly0624 »

Rat Lady wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:22 pm As you can probably already tell, I tend to ramble. A lot. Also I have always sucked at intros. I tend to miss words that drastically change what I’m intending to say. So my posts can get completely convoluted and asinine from one lacking word.
I do that all of the time. I always have to go back and fill in the missing word. When I was working on my book I realized how my mind "saw" the word that wasn't there while I was writing. Word processing was a real pain and I had to go over the same thing several times because my brain is like a runaway horse. :lol:
Rara Scotland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Where Are You Located?: australia

VIP

Unread post by Rara »

shelly0624 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:54 pm Word processing was a real pain and I had to go over the same thing several times because my brain is like a runaway horse. :lol:
If your writing one chapter at a time before the lot is compiled into one book, you can paste the text into something
like natural reader, an AI voice generator, and have the text read back to you. This way it avoids what the mind sees and fills in.
Having text read back to yourself (and while reading along with a print-out) by a voice not your own helps pick other faults or
inconsistencies in the writing. Natural reader is subscription of course, once you've subbed it can be cancelled afterwards
so you only pay as you use.
Rara Scotland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by Rara »

Rat Lady wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:22 pm Hey everyone, I’m Jen, better known online as Rat Lady. I’m in my 40’s, live in central USA, and am happily married. What led me to this forum was an online search for a good keytar.
I had an interest in keytars a long while back, Not so much now.
I was lusting after an AZ-1, it looked cool back then, or the KR-100.
thats the limit of my knowledge of them though :-)
sonic2000gr Greece
Where Are You Located?: Chania, Crete Greece

Unread post by sonic2000gr »

Hi and welcome!

We tend to easily go off topic in here, so rambling might actually be a good thing!
Regarding keytars, as Saul also said, I love the looks of the Roland AX-1 edge. But... this thing is huge!

I am quite a short guy and I would look totally ridiculous holding one. Though I would love to try (I have no real use for it but it would be a superb toy)

There is also a Korg one with mini keys and three octaves. This would be more of a normal size 8)

https://www.thomann.de/gr/korg_rk_100s_2_red.htm
Yamaha Montage 6 / Yamaha MODX6+ / Yamaha P515WH
Roland GAIA2 / Roland TR-8S / Roland JX-08 + k25m
Arturia Keystep 37 / Roland SP-404 mkII / Yamaha HS7
Rara Scotland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by Rara »

sonic2000gr wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:58 pm I am quite a short guy and I would look totally ridiculous holding one. Though I would love to try (I have no real use for it but it would be a superb toy)

There is also a Korg one with mini keys and three octaves. This would be more of a normal size 8)

No more ridiculous than a tall person doing it with a poly800 (which i did, only once, :lol: :oops: )
sonic2000gr Greece
Where Are You Located?: Chania, Crete Greece

Unread post by sonic2000gr »

Rara wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:02 pm No more ridiculous than a tall person doing it with a poly800 (which i did, only once, :lol: :oops: )
Tall person holding small keyboard probably looks much less weird. :D
I know some people use Yamaha Refaces as keytars and this is really a small keyboard.

Mind you, not that I would really care, but I don't do giggs so essentially no reason to have a keytar. You can't look great (or ridiculous) on stage, if there is no stage :lol:
Yamaha Montage 6 / Yamaha MODX6+ / Yamaha P515WH
Roland GAIA2 / Roland TR-8S / Roland JX-08 + k25m
Arturia Keystep 37 / Roland SP-404 mkII / Yamaha HS7

VIP

Rara wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:21 pm
shelly0624 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:54 pm Word processing was a real pain and I had to go over the same thing several times because my brain is like a runaway horse. :lol:
If your writing one chapter at a time before the lot is compiled into one book, you can paste the text into something
like natural reader, an AI voice generator, and have the text read back to you. This way it avoids what the mind sees and fills in.
Having text read back to yourself (and while reading along with a print-out) by a voice not your own helps pick other faults or
inconsistencies in the writing. Natural reader is subscription of course, once you've subbed it can be cancelled afterwards
so you only pay as you use.
I would be interested in that. That would be really great for an audio book. You almost have to change the text sometimes to accommodate an audio version, more like a script, especially with descriptive "tags." Instead of adverbs describing HOW someone is saying something, sometimes you have to leave that part out of the dialogue and voice act, especially if you're using your own voice. I wonder how intuitive voice inflections would be in an AI voice reader. I've heard some pretty convincing ones on YouTube. Hearing things back is an excellent way to edit. I'm excited about the book you're working on, Laura! I know, without a doubt, you would be an excellent wordsmith. I can really picture your music included in an audio version. I published through MindStir Media and it was a wonderful experience. They are amazing.
Rara Scotland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by Rara »

shelly0624 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:55 pm
I would be interested in that. That would be really great for an audio book. You almost have to change the text sometimes to accommodate an audio version, more like a script, especially with descriptive "tags." Instead of adverbs describing HOW someone is saying something, sometimes you have to leave that part out of the dialogue and voice act, especially if you're using your own voice. I wonder how intuitive voice inflections would be in an AI voice reader. I've heard some pretty convincing ones on YouTube. Hearing things back is an excellent way to edit. I'm excited about the book you're working on, Laura! I know, without a doubt, you would be an excellent wordsmith. I can really picture your music included in an audio version. I published through MindStir Media and it was a wonderful experience. They are amazing.
The Ai voices I used weren't perfect, and to get the best result I had to use the multi lingual "LLM" versions (large language model).
While proof reading I overlooked the faults and used it for basic read back.
Problem with these LLM's is, words such as 'fine' are given the French pronunciation of "fin" regardless of the context.
"It's a fine day" takes on a different meaning. Many other words in English borrowed from another language have the same issue.
inflections are another flat point, literally. This is where higher levels of subscription
are needed. Some of the voices on YT are the commercial versions. One of them called Brian, one which is used everywhere.
Natural readers has free trials, I used a different Brian in the monthly sub which was LLM, many of those to me sounded to
young and inexperienced. The yearly sub have voices with more gravitas to them.
What I am working on is complex, both in creating it and writing it.

VIP

AI Joe is the one I've heard most. I thought it was a real guy until I was hearing that voice in random places, all over YouTube.

(Sorry, I'm taking this thread down a rabbit trail... 'nuff said). :lol:
Rat Lady United States of America
Where Are You Located?: USA

Unread post by Rat Lady »

sonic2000gr wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:58 pm I am quite a short guy and I would look totally ridiculous holding one. Though I would love to try (I have no real use for it but it would be a superb toy)

The big one would probably fit me. I’m 6’3”. Yeah, I’m an Amazon.

shelly0624 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:54 pm
Rat Lady wrote: As you can probably already tell, I tend to ramble. A lot. Also I have always sucked at intros. I tend to miss words that drastically change what I’m intending to say. So my posts can get completely convoluted and asinine from one lacking word.
I do that all of the time. I always have to go back and fill in the missing word. When I was working on my book I realized how my mind "saw" the word that wasn't there while I was writing. Word processing was a real pain and I had to go over the same thing several times because my brain is like a runaway horse. :lol:
I’ve written 2 full length novels, several short stories, and like the rest of the world, a hell of a lot of unconventional poetry. I’ve also written a few songs. And I did it all in Wordpad. It worked perfect for me. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that other programs do. Which, in my opinion, makes it a lot more user friendly.

VIP

I used Word Pad and Grammerly, but for the last polish I took advantage of the ProWritingAid 15 day free trial. It was just enough time to finish. I found out that I had a bad habit of using passive verbs, something I wouldn't have noticed. Also, if I used the same pronoun too many times in a paragraph, it would flag that for me. It caught other stylistic errors, thankfully. Those would happen when I was tired. I was always glad to catch it before publishing. Word processing software is often not correct, so you can't take it too seriously. The creative part of writing is the most fun, of course, and the rest is a little tedious. :)