Yamaha FG830 - New

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Harrison-Film United States of America
Where Are You Located?: Tampa

Yamaha FG830 - New

Unread post by Harrison-Film »

Hi Gang!

I'm a 75 year old musician and just recieved a NEW Yamaha FG830 purchased online from Guitar Center. With the strings that came on the guitar, (when tuned perfectly in open tuning), it does not keep proper pitch when playing bar chords, (or) using a capo compared to open chord positions. I believe the new strings have had enuf time to settle in? I've seen You Tube tutorials regarding faulty intonation, or bridge construction/placement and wondering if this could be the problem? The bridge on acoustics are totally different animals than on electrics. I have a cheap Glarry Telecaster Copy and never had the same issue, (directly out of the box). Before I touch these original purchase strings, I'm thinking just return it (as instructed by Guitar Center) to a store nearby for a total refund?

Ideas? Thanks So Much!
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Re: Yamaha FG830 - New

Unread post by Saul »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

The FG-830 is a lovely guitar and normally it is fine out of the box but as with any instrument there can be issues. A lot can depend on humidity and temperature. With changes in humidity your guitar can either absorb moisture which will swell the wood or it can dry out causing shrinkages. I am not talking huge amounts here. Well, not unless you live in some extreme environment like the tropics or the Atacama Desert! But those small changes can throw the intonation out.

Some days a guitar will sound just perfect and other days it never sounds right. This is temperature and humidity in effect. A hygrometer will let you keep an eye on things. They are not expensive and well worth having. I use a Thermopro TP50.

You didn't say how long you have had the guitar. When I get a new guitar I normally allow it around 3 weeks to a month to settle before I make a decision about how good it is and if I am going to keep it.

The strings should be fine as the guitar is new from Guitar Centre. Unless they have had it on display in which case who knows how many people have been playing it. Which is one reason why I tend to always buy guitars in person rather than online. I know that is not always practical in the USA due to the vast distances to stores that might have the guitar you want to buy.

In the end though, you do need to be happy with the guitar you have bought. If you are not happy and confident in your FG830 I would return it for a refund or exchange.
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.

Thanx for your reply Saul

'3 weeks to a month to settle' could be well beyond me being able to bring it back for a refund.

I recieved it a week ago; (it traveled immediately from the truck to my Air Conditioned Home). I believe its had enuf time to settle in (as I've been playing it everyday as well).

Thank You Again Saul! :D
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

In the end you can only go with your gut. If it doesn't feel right then you have to send it back.

I have a couple of guitars in for review at the moment. Both really gorgeous looking instruments and very reasonably priced but I am struggling with the quality both in sound and build. To put it into context I have reviewd plenty of other guitars by this manufacturer and I have owned some myself. All, without exception were very good. Well made, sound and playability was spot on. But these two? One is better than the other but they both have issues.

So it can easily be the case that you just happen to have one of those FG830's that should not have made it past quality control 🤔

Send it back and get something else. It is the only way to be sure 👍
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.

Thanx Saul !

Thanx for your patience and 'reasonability'

Will let you know what happens!

My Best
Mike

Saul: You Are The Salt Of The Earth! Other moderators or contributors can be condescending and brutal, but not you! I'm 75 years old, (playing since high school), and you are one of those rare fellows who simply appreciates and respects other's comments, issues or problems. Let me credit you for providing simple, accurate advice! As you suggested, something just didn't feel right with this NEW FG830. I do love Yamaha Acoustic Guitars, (have had a few), and Martins too.

Despite being highly rediculed by 'Over Bloated Blokes' on the Acoustic Forum: My point, (lost in condemnation), was that if Guitar Center found it necessary to shave the bridge, that would become 'my' instrument, 'No Returns' So I followed your advice and returned the FG830, (it took me a mere 15 minutes) exchanging it for a Yamaha FX335C which was: (sweet, playable, and stayed In Tune)! !

Thank You Saul!
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks for your kind words. I am just very happy that I could be of some help and that you now have a guitar you enjoy playing.

I think if Guitar Centre were talking about shaving the bridge, that is of concern. That should never be required on a brand new guitar and certainly not a Yamaha. They are designed to certain dimensions and are "supposed" to be set up before leaving the factory. If a guitar store deems it necessary to start shaving wood they should stop right there and send it back for replacement!

You did absolutely the right thing. Always trust your own judgement. If it doesn't feel right, then it most definitely isn't right 👍
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook