FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

Yamaha Manual Downloads

This section is for all variants of the Yamaha DX series. DX1/DX100/DX11/DX21/DX27/DX27S/DX5/ DX7/DX7IID/DX7IIFD/DX7S/DX9/TX81Z/TX7

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

parametric Great Britain
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Where Are You Located?: Near Watford, UK

VIP

Re: Yamaha Manual Downloads

Unread post by parametric »

Hi Rawl,

I have to say that I DO in fact have a DX7 "book" of some sort - which is odd, as I've never owned a DX7 8O

I should explain:

Back in 2009 when Tech Support was unceremoniously "screwed in the arse" at my place of work in the Music Dept of a University . . . My boss and I were made an offer it would have been stupid to refuse . .

When I cleared the desk and cupboards in my office - I brought away all that they contained - and some of it has proved "interesting" . . . .

So, I'll check that book and let you know . . .

I also came across this. It's not on your list, but is worthy merit, due to its rarity value after all these years . . . . .
Yamaha Flexidisk Cover A.jpg
Yamaha Flexidisk Cover B.jpg
Yamaha Flexidisk A.jpg
Yamaha Flexidisk B.jpg
When I get a moment, I'll record it and try to make it available somehow . . . .

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

Some of My own Tracks: viewtopic.php?p=88899#p88899

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Curse! This means the end of the horned gramophone and the little doggie that looks in to it.

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
rawl747 United States of America
Where Are You Located?: Virginia Beach, VA USA

Unread post by rawl747 »

Parametric,

This is "way cool"! Is this a full size LP? I have 4 Evatone thin vinyl discs (inserts from the AfterTouch Magazines) to record yet and they should prove a challenge as they are so flimsy. But if this is a regular LP in decent shape, it should be fairly easy to record.

If you care to record to WAVE or loss-less FLAC, I can make available an FTP login for you to upload to me and I will gladly perform some cleanup of the audio prior to conversion to MP3 prior to uploading to the site. Let me know if you are interested in collaborating as I have Adobe Audition which works well for scratch, pop, and noise removal.

Keep looking for these old gems in your attic dude!

Rawl
DX7 (MKI) w/ E! Card & S80 Keyboard synths
Nektar Impact LX88+ K/B, WX7 & MDT (Morrison Digital Trumpet) MIDI windcontrollers, TEC MIDI Breath & Bite controller
VL70m synth module w/ Patchman Turbo
Tx81Z, FB-01, RX-5, Roland XV-5080, Emu Emulator E6400 Classic - (this last thanks to James M.)
Win 10 Pro 64 bit with Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 with Behringer ADA8200 & MOTU MIDI Express XT
Cubase Pro 13, Halion 7, NI - Kontakt 7, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Bitwig, IKMultimedia SampleTank 4, 3 & 2.5XL, Spitfire BBC SO Pro, EWQL Symphonic Orch Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond SO, AAS Suite, BiaB 2024, Emulator X v2 & v3, Wusik Suite, Vienna Ensemble Pro v7
Assorted acoustic brass & woodwind instruments plus numerous guitars both acoustic & electric
Harmonicas - oh and a 100+ years old full upright piano...

"...there is no one absolutely essential truth for all people and ... every time I look at a coin, I instinctively want to look at the other side." -Peter Jennings
parametric Great Britain
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Where Are You Located?: Near Watford, UK

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

Hi Man,

Its a 7" flexidisk, in its sleeve, though it plays at 33-1/3 rpm . . . .

Looks in good shape. If it needs tweaking - I have SoundForge Pro10 if necessary . .

But thanks for the offer . . . .. I'll keep looking . . . . .

I have just found a similar "disk" for Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 and Prophet 10 (sides A and B on the same disk) - buts that's for later.

If I can get "FreeMake" to behave - I also have Videos about the KX88, TX816, and QX1 . . .

Oh, and an hour long Tutorial by Akai - on the S900 Sampler - (which is probably good enough for some of its later "children" . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

Some of My own Tracks: viewtopic.php?p=88899#p88899

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Curse! This means the end of the horned gramophone and the little doggie that looks in to it.

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
monsterjazzlicks Great Britain
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Where Are You Located?: Wirral, United Kingdom

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks »

Rawl,
rawl747 wrote:BTW, we just need 6 more DX7 Supplemental Booklets to complete that archive for upload. We need the following titles:

03 Memory Management
04 Memory Management for the DX7s
I am really looking for some advice on what I would call Memory Management, but I am not sure if these two (above) books are (descriptively) the same thing. I am wanting help with the best way to ('location-wise' etc) STORE/ORGANIZE Patches/Banks and all that...

For example, on the DX21, would you fill your PERFORMANCE BANK with 32 x Patches and would you try and included a selected handful from each each instrument type or genre of music? Or would you prioritize with having combinations of Splits, Layers and Singles? Or even your band-set (in order) so you can flick thru each Patch in song-list-order fashion? This would also be (in my situation) using the DX21 in conjunction with the DX7 and MDF2.

I ask because (before I start programing/storing) I would like to have something of a mental map with which I can aim towards before I get started. Otherwise, I am going to end up with stuff all over the place! lol

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this question and so I am going to copy it into my "MDF2 w/ DX" :-

http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =35&t=7811

Cheers,

Paul
nikos3

Unread post by nikos3 »

Hi, I have just joined the site because I have an original Howard Massey DX7 manual with the original three vinyl double sided audio cue records that have never been played. I think its quite rare that these are still with the manual!.
The manual's front cover has a crease and a few of the perforations have torn but apart from that it in good condition. I want this to go to a real collector and thought this would be a good place to start. If anyone is interested then please get in touch
I have an original DX7 keyboard as well but it has slight damage on the back panel but works fine.

Many thanks
AndyHornBlower Great Britain

Unread post by AndyHornBlower »

rawl747 wrote: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:51 am Just uploaded (to the Yamaha DX section) - The complete DX7 (Mark I) 70 page manual in PDF format WITH NO BAD PAGES (5, 18, 27 and 29 - PDF
pages 10, 23, 32 and 34).

As many have found, the various copies of this manual derived from the one originally released by Yamaha had these pages corrupted and virtually every copy on the net was a duplicate from this source, warts and all.

Rawl
Is that version of the book still on the forum, somewhere? I've looked, but I can't find it.
Slow the spread of #covid19 Coronavirus : #Masks4All #masks4all

Unread post by rawl747 »

Andy,

I honestly don't know. When Saul moved the site to this current hosting platform, a lot of what I had uploaded didn't get moved over. Send me a PM with your email and I will send you a download link to it.

I scanned my original copy by hand to create the one you are asking about. Actually took a razor blade to the binding that was falling apart so I had all the pages loose.

I will be on the lookout for your PM.

Rawl
Nektar Impact LX88+ K/B, WX7 & MDT (Morrison Digital Trumpet) MIDI windcontrollers, TEC MIDI Breath & Bite controller
Tx81Z, FB-01, RX-5, Roland XV-5080, Emu Emulator E6400 Classic - (this last thanks to James M.)
Win 10 Pro 64 bit with Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 with Behringer ADA8200 & MOTU MIDI Express XT
Cubase Pro 13, Halion 7, NI - Kontakt 7, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Bitwig, IKMultimedia SampleTank 4, 3 & 2.5XL, Spitfire BBC SO Pro, EWQL Symphonic Orch Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond SO, AAS Suite, BiaB 2024, Emulator X v2 & v3, Wusik Suite, Vienna Ensemble Pro v7
Assorted acoustic brass & woodwind instruments plus numerous guitars both acoustic & electric

"...there is no one absolutely essential truth for all people and ... every time I look at a coin, I instinctively want to look at the other side." -Peter Jennings

pm sent. Thanks, Rawl.
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Unread post by Saul »

Rawl I did actually find your upload folder from before the move but not had time to add a lot of them back to the downloads section which we now have on the forum itself. The contents of the folder are in the screenshots below:
Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 21.24.17.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 21.24.58.png
I can upload the lot to the forum in one go and then perhaps people could move them into the relevant sections. I already uploaded the individual Aftertouch issues and I think a few other items.

I have a lot going on at the moment so time is something I am very short of. Open to suggestions though.
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.

Cool. I see lots of TX81Z stuff in there, which hasn't been easy to find.

It seems like most of it falls into a few broad categories. The Aftertouch magazines could probably have a downloads category of their own, if there isn't one already.

All the TX81Z stuff could just be put in one thread in the TX81Z downloads section (which doesn't have a lot in it), e.g. under "Rawl's TX81Z collection". The yam4opfm.zip could probably go in their too. I'll happily add links from other sections it relates to, like the DX11... I don't see a WT11 one, yet, but that's not much different to a TX81Z. Anyone who's interested in one would probably look up the TX81Z too... possibly the category could be renamed TX81Z and WT11.

I see a few DX7 related things, and the Xpress ones - another rmagazine? Maybe that could just be another thread in the same place as the Aftertouch one.

There are probably only a few things left on that list, which could be added later.

Maybe moving things around isn't needed much - so long as it's somewhere, people can add links in places where it possibly belongs. I could make a start on that.

Unread post by rawl747 »

Saul,

The best suggestion I can make to ease the burden on you is to have you provide me with a login that has rights to upload material as I did on the old site. I tried back then to organize items by logical categories and based on the fact that we got a lot of positive responses to what I uploaded, I think I did a reasonable job if it.

If you have been able to resolve this issue with the new site platform s/w, then this would allow you to offload much of the work associated with such an effort. I also could use an FTP login if the site s/w can handle that approach as well.

I have quite a lot more material including all that was hosted on the old TheDX7 site as well as my own "stuff". I have been in some discussions with Steve about re-hosting his TheDX7 site on my server. In that case, I would just upload all my own material along side it as well. His re-hosted site would retain the original "look and feel" but my additional material would have a unique theme. I would use Drupal as my preferred site platform. Links to that site could be freely posted on your site.

Please let me know if you can see your way to providing me with a login that will allow what I would need in terms of rights and functionality. I continue to get requests for material and would prefer to have it available online somewhere.

Oh and BTW, http://yates.ca/DX7 may be defunct as well.

Cheers,
Rawl

Unread post by rawl747 »

Andy,

Xpress was a Canadian magazine somewhat similar to AfterTouch. AfterTouch was only published for the US market.

I have a TX81z and quite a bit of material for that synth beyond what Saul has listed.

Rawl

Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks guys. Rawl we no longer host downloads on the front of the site. They are all in the forum now as this allows all members to attach files so we can host a wider range of items than before and it spreads the workload somewhat. There is also no longer any ftp access to the site. We moved to AWS and everything that end is locked down.

The resurrection of 'TheDX7' site would be a great thing and I would certainly be happy to link to you when it's up and running.

I can upload all those files to another of my sites and you can download from there if there are any you are missing?
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.

Unread post by rawl747 »

Saul,

I understand your new approach. As I see it there are some pros and cons as with anything.

Unfortunately, there are old posts from your previous site iteration regarding uploads to that old downloads section that are confusing some folks. And with just links embedded in forum posts, there is no one place for users to go to see posts organized by categories.

But I respect your site's limitations so I will find alternatives.

As to TheDX7 site, I believe that I have all the original files and I have copies of several of the most popular sites (with their downloads) he linked to on TheDX7.

I just am waiting for his permission to re-host his old site. Much of what the site had is on "The Wayback Machine" site but collecting all of the pieces from there is not that easy. If I find anything I am missing, I will let you know and thanks for the offer.

Cheers,
Rawl

Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

There are no limitations. The downloads section is very clear to see and sections/sub sections can be added as people want them. There is nothing limiting in the way our downloads work.
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook