SY77 floppy emulator. Again!

Yamaha SY77 is a 16 voice multitimbral music workstation first produced by Yamaha Corporation in 1989. The SY77 is a synthesizer whose architecture combines AFM (Advanced Frequency Modulation) synthesis, AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory 2) for ROM-borne sample-based synthesis, and the combination of these two methods christened Realtime Convolution and Modulation Synthesis (RCM).

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Silagemaker

SY77 floppy emulator. Again!

Unread post by Silagemaker »

Hi
Looking for the definitive way to go on floppy drive to USB emulator. Know there are a lot of threads on this but up to date advice would be great.
Just bought an SY77 in great condition but drive not working. Might be belt gone but would rather USB emulator. Seller gave me drive. See photos.
Will this work?
IMG_5111.JPG
IMG_5111.JPG (42.99 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
IMG_5110.JPG
IMG_5110.JPG (61.4 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
Looks like a lot of other gotek ones but no numeric screen.
If it doesn't any link to one that definitely does?Preferably black but beige would do if stuck.
Need a cable. Any link to one that works?
Does this one on eBay ?
http://m.ebay.ie/itm/302320014799
Then the flash software.
Get it here?
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/index.php
Or is it possible to buy one already flashed like this one?
http://m.ebay.ie/itm/172488089435 Biege unfortunately.
Many thanks for any help.
Cheers
Ps
Hope I haven't broken any rules by posting links to eBay etc. Not trying to sell anything. Model numbers and where I might get them in reply would be great.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: SY77 floppy emulator. Again!

Unread post by Saul »

Welcome to the forum :)

Your fine posting those links so no worries there.

I have never replaced a drive on the SY77 but we have plenty of people here who have, although not sure how many went down the emulator route, still, hang in there, bound to be someone along with the answer soon.
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

Silagemaker

Hi Saul
Thanks for the welcome :)
This site is a goldmine of info, patches etc.
Congrats.
The floppy emulator seems to be a bit of a minefield.
If it's too much I'll just use an editor and sysex.
Although it would be nice to have a USB stick with the equivalent of 100 floppies!
From what I've heard the SY77 is worth it.
And I have a fair few analogs to compare it to.
Cheers

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

Oh I think it's definitely worth the effort if you can get the emulator working :) Never been a fan of floppy drives myself although the direct drive models are not too bad. Will look into this emulator thing myself, just in case I ever end up with another SY77 ;)
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

Silagemaker

Well got it all sorted out. A thousand floppy USB emulator.
While I was at it got a new screen,
When I've time I'll post here with links.
Anyone who's a member of the sy77/sy99 Facebook group will see the whole thing there.
Cheers

midiquestions

Unread post by midiquestions »

Silagemaker wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:29 pm
Anyone who's a member of the sy77/sy99 Facebook group will see the whole thing there.
Cheers
Hi, wondering if you might have the time for those links? I'm interested.

Studiostriver

Unread post by Studiostriver »

midiquestions wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:24 am
Silagemaker wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:29 pm
Cheers
Hi, wondering if you might have the time for those links? I'm interested.
Me too. :geek:

pixie

Unread post by pixie »

A quick update on the floppy emulator front :

I have successfuly replaced my floppy with this Gotek model :
SFRM72-TU100K
You can find the ribbon cable connector on eBay for 22 euros
The emulator's jumper must be set on "S01" and no other jumper needed
The USB thumbdrive was formated using this program
http://www.ketron.it/images/ketron/soft ... ketron.exe
(100 floppies /720ko)

It works flawlessly, there is no need to remove the usbdrive between virtual floppy swaps. Just dial in the floppy number you want to access with the 2 front panel switches, and let the SY77 menu do the the rest.

Hope it helps

sy77wizard

Unread post by sy77wizard »

Hello folks !

I have only recently revived my old SY77 and am going through the maintenance that most of you probably have already gone through...battery replacement (after 30 yrs) :mrgreen:
..the SY77 has now suddenly stopped loading patches from my floppy when accessing the disks altogether and I suppose this is due to the low battery voltage.

This is when I came across this great forum and realized that many of you have already switched to a USB floppy emulator.
Since the Bulgarian 200€ turnwheel/OLED option seems a bit on the high side for a 500€ synth, I am thinking of going the GOTEK way....

I must admit though that reading all different kinds of advice regarding SY85, SY77 and SY99 compatibility I am a bit puzzled.
It seems that people have used predominantly these GOTEK models:

SFRM72-FU-DL
SFR1M44-FU-DL
SFR1M44-U100K

Given, that a 34-26 pin connector cable can be found on ebay, which of these drives would you recommend for use with the SY77 these days ?

Would the SFR1M44-U100K also read and write the 720KB partitions (despite is capable of handling 1.44MB)?
I take it that despite 999 "disks" could be emulated, only 100 can be handled by third-party software that is required to format these 720 partitions, correct?

Any other advice ?
Thanks for your support !

SY still rocks !

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

Unread post by parametric »

I would definitely go with the one that has the loudest SHOUT for the SY77 . . . (the one you mention).

I stayed with the floppy drive on my Sy85 which responded well to a good clean and a new drive belt.

It lives in it's flight case ATM - as I'm stuck for space here . . .

Last time I had it out, it worked flawlessly . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

DrSynth

Unread post by DrSynth »

sy77wizard wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:54 pm
I must admit though that reading all different kinds of advice regarding SY85, SY77 and SY99 compatibility I am a bit puzzled.
It seems that people have used predominantly these GOTEK models:

SFRM72-FU-DL
SFR1M44-FU-DL
SFR1M44-U100K

Given, that a 34-26 pin connector cable can be found on ebay, which of these drives would you recommend for use with the SY77 these days ?

Would the SFR1M44-U100K also read and write the 720KB partitions (despite is capable of handling 1.44MB)?
I take it that despite 999 "disks" could be emulated, only 100 can be handled by third-party software that is required to format these 720 partitions, correct?

Any other advice ?
Thanks for your support !

SY still rocks !
How much time/effort do you want to put into this, and what computers / OS's do you use as the answer will be different.

First -- any option will require an adapter cable. eBay seller Feer1 is the best source IMHO

If you have some technical ability use Windows (or emulator on OSX) to flash any model Gotek with FlashFloppy firmware. The only thing different in all the Goteks is the firmware, and you'll be replacing it with FlashFloppy which is a 'universal' firmware so the model won't matter.

IF you feel you can't flash the Gotex, you must get the SFRM72-FU-DL, the various 144 series will not work. You will have to use some old Keytron Windows software (the app will run on WIn 7 in XP mode...) to set up & format the USB stick to be seen as multiple "disks".

There's a lot of info on USB options on this board, and there's a very helpful FlashFloppy Facebook Group. Also specific to the SY's, a number of discussion on the SY99/77 Owner Facebook page.

My first USB conversion a fews years ago I bought the Nalbantov, all flashed & configured with cable, totally plug and play. Time is money and I didn't have the time to research and figure out on my own.

Since then I've converted close to a dozen drives on other instruments, and flash & build myself with larger OLED displays, rotary selector and piezo speaker, using the Feer1 cable, buying the cheapest black Gotek on eBay at the time. Takes just about 35 minutes to complete all the adds & mods once you've done a few.

Manny
FM Rig of DOOM!! Yamaha: Montage 7, SY99's x9, TG77's x4, Reface DX, FS1r, DX200, DX7II FD E!, DX7II FD, TX802
Yamaha VL1v2, VL70m, AN200, AN1X, EX5R, Motif-Rack ES, PLG150-AN
Kurzweil K2000, Korg Wavestation EX, Kawai K1, Sequential Pro One, Arp Odyssey
What's a Roland ...?
YouTube FM Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXY8GT ... R0TSw/feed
SoundCloud FM Examples: https://soundcloud.com/manny-fernandez-4856421

sy77wizard

Hello Manny,

I just realized that Email notification was defaulted to off - so only now getting your advice, which is actually great.

I definetely up for flashing the drive, but wanted to get a sound recommendation as to which software to use in order to set up the drives and set-up the USB stick properly. Unfortunately, I don't use facebook user groups, maybe that's why haven't come across the FlashFloppy firmware in connection to SY77, but this seems pretty straightforward , except the boot loader jumpers Keith mentions in his video....
look like paperclips....:D

Since the rotary wheel and OLED customization is only available for 200+ bucks, I think I am going to go with the SFR1M44-U100K drive which is black and suits the SY best, are easy to get hold of plus don't appear to have the disk drive reset thing with the SY77 going on, correct? Have reached out to Feer1 already.
I guess I'll have to figure out how the 0.7MB disk images will be created on the stick and how many "disks" are supported by the SY77.

Any other stuff I should be aware of ?

Man(n)y thanks ! :)

DrSynth

Unread post by DrSynth »

What's your computer OS, Windows or OSX?

All the emulators with flashed firmware (Both FlashFloppy and HxC) work with various formats of disk image files. The legacy format for USB emulators is .hfe files. There's software for both Win/OSX to create & manipulate them, which is frankly very odd to work with... Put/get/load/dump the files to the image then save the image, it got tedious

So, the main reason I abandoned HxC was FlashFloppy was first to support multiple image formats, and for me, .img files which mount right on the Mac desktop and you just drag & drop your contents. The USB stick is just standard FAT or ExFAT. As the 'emulator firmware wars' go on, the feature sets go back and forth, but it appears FlashFloppy is always first and gets bugs quashed as being true freeware has more "community support" though YMMV. Search the web for Windows software to create 720K image files, whatever format they end up being, FlashFlLoppy probably supports it.

As I said I use .img as it's "double click" to mount it, drag and drop to copy the data to/from it, then save and eject the USB stick. Simple, and not software to launch every time as with .hfe

I learned everything from YouTube videos and the online documentation for FlashFloppy.

With with either firmware & the adapter from Feer1, it's just set 2 jumpers and go (on the SY99, I can't think the SY77 would be different). I posted a jpg with the jumper settings here viewtopic.php?f=183&t=10068&p=75575#p59338

Manny

P.S. I actually did use paper clips for the jumpers when I flashed :) I got lazy soldering the header pins for a while. Since you need them for the add ons, I'm back to soldering the headers.
FM Rig of DOOM!! Yamaha: Montage 7, SY99's x9, TG77's x4, Reface DX, FS1r, DX200, DX7II FD E!, DX7II FD, TX802
Yamaha VL1v2, VL70m, AN200, AN1X, EX5R, Motif-Rack ES, PLG150-AN
Kurzweil K2000, Korg Wavestation EX, Kawai K1, Sequential Pro One, Arp Odyssey
What's a Roland ...?
YouTube FM Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXY8GT ... R0TSw/feed
SoundCloud FM Examples: https://soundcloud.com/manny-fernandez-4856421

sy77wizard

Hi there.

I followed your advice and can confirm that swapping my SY77's broken floppy drive against a Gotek (presumably SFR1M44-U100K) flashed with FlashFloppy 2.14 really does the job !
OLED and rotary knob are great bonusses for easy file access.
The kit is equipped with a Feer1 adaptor plug and cable and comes at a price of a refurbished floppy drive which definitely is a better deal.
Here's the URL:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Floppy-Drive-Em ... 26385ab8df

I can confirm that the drive had JA and JC jumpers already wired and in order for the SY77 to work with the drive, only JUMPER S1 needed to be set.
I updated Flash Floppy's configuation file on the USB stick (FF.CFG) to

interface = ibmpc
pin02 = auto
pin34 = chg

(and muted the Piezo sound which sounded a bit odd for me). :P

I am using 720KB IMA format empty virtual disks that I created using WINIMAGE.
This is a great free trial shareware which also helped me to copy files from my old floppies and otherwise wouldn't be legible due to illegal characters contained in filenames which Yamaha would allow but modern computers wouldn't accept (dots, slashes and the likes).

On my PC, IMA files can be mounted as virtual floppy drives using the free IMDISK application which makes copying and organising SY77 files very easy (no virtual box required).
Happy upgrading.

Long live the SY77 !