Revstar tone: 620 vs 820?

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar Italy
CookCountyJail

Revstar tone: 620 vs 820?

Unread post by CookCountyJail » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:19 pm

Lately I've been watching at these two beautiful Revstar models, and after a lot of youtube listening, I really can't answer a single simple question: tonewise, are the 620 and the 820 different?
I understand that they have the same pickups, and if we don't look at the merely cosmetic differences, I can spot only one difference that could (in theory) affect the tone: the different bridge.
Even so, I still can't perceive from my laptop if the sound diversity that I hear came just from various settings/recordings or from the guitar itself.

Have any of you ever tried both on the same amp with same settings?
What do you think, they offer the same tone or they are different? And if so, how? (and why?)
User avatar Canada
Ahamayguitariste

Re: Revstar tone: 620 vs 820?

Unread post by Ahamayguitariste » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:26 am

CookCounty Jail,
I did that very thing. Took a long transit ride to the giant Yamaha dealer north east of Toronto. I played all the Revstars, using the same settings on the expensive amp in the try out booth. These are all Indonesian-builds. I loved both 620 / 820 models, but the shop-aged strings tempered my lust. Try to get into a store that's full line. Find those two instruments and swap between them every five minutes or so. Turn the volume pot off, and play both acoustically. One is likely to be more resonant in that state. Buy that one. Laptop audio is a contradictory term.

After the Revstars, I tried a Pacifica 611 that was patiently sitting on the wall. Sales guy conveyed a warehouse-new Caramel Brown model out. I lost my mind. I may have drooled. I could not get my credit card out fast enough. Like being at the merch booth at an Iron Maiden show. Yes, I need those earrings too. And those golf club covers. The plush Eddy. So, no Revstar purchase that day. I may order the Japanese built Revstar RSP20CR this year, and that thing will transcend all reality and fiscal prudence. We only get seventy years on the planet. Sixty, if you eat too many donuts.
User avatar Italy
CookCountyJail

Unread post by CookCountyJail » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:50 pm

I really would like to compare 620 and 820 in first person, but unfortunately the stores where I live don't have higher end models.
Otherwise, I wouldn't be searching for opinions in this internet forum, don't you think? :wink:
Anyway, I understand that you've been unlucky with your "drive test" because of the old string, but still...can you report any difference between the two, soundwise?
And greetings for your 611, it seems a great axe! I like the one with hardtail bridge in light amber burst, maybe one day, if I'll decide to cheat my Telecaster...but now, I have to fix my humbucker-shorter scale needs!
hypercarrots

Unread post by hypercarrots » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:39 am

dangit i've already eaten too many donuts...
17 BB734A (TMB), 16 RS620 (BCC),16 RS502T (BGR), 84 BB1200S (burgundy), 82 BB1200S (burgundy), 80 BBVI (BL), 79 BB1200 (ST), 79 BB1200 (NT), 78 BB1200 (ST), 74 SA-70 (sunburst), 69 SA-30T (sunburst)
User avatar Canada
Ahamayguitariste

Unread post by Ahamayguitariste » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:36 am

CookCountyJail wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:50 pm
...can you report any difference between the two, soundwise?
Not on tone, but I did find these unhelpful notes on my phone while at a boring metal show last night. RS 502 Billet Green $850, RS 620 Burnt Charcoal $950 tuners so so, RS820 CR Rusty Rat $1200, nice finish, beaten bridge screws, hard to play. Somewhere in the trip to retail, a flat head screwdriver applied to the bridge screws had stripped them. It wasn't going to orphan the guitar, but it was cosmetically damaging.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm

hypercarrots wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:39 am
dangit i've already eaten too many donuts...
:clap: :dance: :clap:
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:44 pm

I really feel for you electric guitar players. A lot of what we hear in youtube videos is very dependant on the amp the guitar is being played through and any effects etc being applied. Makes it very difficult to judge the pure tone of one guitar over another. For me as an acoustic player I don't have any of those issues. I can very clearly hear the differences in tone between guitars because there is nothing in the way. Happy days :music-guitarred:

If it is difficult to differentiate between the 620 and 820 in tone then maybe it really comes down to which one you like the look of and feels the most comfortable to play? For myself I would go with the 620 purely because I prefer the look of the chunkier neck inlays to the simple dot inlays on the 820. But as I said I am not really an electric player so the nuanced differences may not be as important to me as they would be to someone who's primary instrument is electric guitar.
Yamaha revstar 620.png
Yamaha revstar 620
Yamaha revstar 820.png
Yamaha revstar 820
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”