Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

User avatar Spain
EB5AGV

Re: MODX keybed

Unread post by EB5AGV » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:13 am

shughes wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:53 pm
Is the noise/action similar to this youtube video?

I currently have a S90XS and considering upgrading to Montage 8. I bought the S90XS due to the action but transporting it to church every week has become more of a chore then 6 years ago when I purchased. I like the weight and position of pitch bend on the MODX8 but just not sure I could get used to the keybed and other corners Yamaha cut. A MODX8 could actually fit in my truck cab and would not have to worry about rainy days. My other thought is go for Montage 7 but with background in piano I think I will miss those extra 12 keys.
Looking at that video, I guess not all GHS keybeds are identical. My DGX660 is not doing any noise like that, not my friends P115 and P125. Something has changed on these new keybeds, maybe they loose some dampening material but, definitely, not similar to older versions.

Yamaha must address that problem soon or the MODX bubble could burst.

Jose
Jose Gavila

Yamaha DX7, TX81Z, 4x SY77, TG77, SPX990, SY85, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, DGX660, PSR-EW410, Genos
Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Pigments, Analog Lab 3, Piano V-2
Casio CT-X5000
Korg M1, Wavestation, X3, Triton Rack
Roland D-50, JV-1080
StudioLogic SL88 Studio
Steinberg Cubase Elements 10, The Grand 3
User avatar United States of America
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:56 pm

So, short of returning the keyboard for "repair", it seems that some person stated the keys might need to be lubricated...?

Or the felt dampening material had moved and needs to be re-positioned?

I wonder if having a repair tech put in a 1/8" piece of neoprene would take care of the problem?
User avatar Australia
DeltaJockey

Unread post by DeltaJockey » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:31 pm

I have a rather curious update with my MODX8 keybed...
Since reporting on this thread that I had a couple of clackity keys way back, I've not been using it all that much lately, as I've been off busy with other pursuits. But I was playing around with it a few days ago, and noticed that the noisy keys have receded back to about the level of the rest of the keybed! So, whatever the issue is, it appears to not be anything displaced. So I'm agreeing with the recent popular thinking of a lubrication issue, which may explain the change in both directions.

I'll keep you posted if anything else comes to light.

I've also been rationalising the feel of the relatively cheap weighted action, and have decide to treat it as a "good" quality synth action, which from my perspective feels like the real semi weighted action, as against the MOD6/7 which to me are not semi weighted, but synth action.
With this in mind, the MODX8 keybed I find, is excellent for the synth sounds, and acceptable for piano, as it is in my view, on the light side for a weighted action, compared to my Kawai acoustic grand, (which for a real acoustic is even considered relatively light.)
I say this, because I chose the 8 expecting it to play like a weighted action, as that is what my finger muscles expect, and was still left wanting....if that makes any sense!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:35 pm

Thanks for the update DJ. Sounds to me like you are right and it could indeed be a lubrication issue. If it were mechanical it would not have suddenly rectified itself unless of course something had moved temporarily and then "reseated" ?

Also I would agree with you about the action of the MODX8. Even though I am not a pianist as such I can feel in comparison to real acoustic pianos I have played recently that it is actually quite light, fine for me of course :) I do still prefer the action of the Roland DS88 and the new Casio PX-S1000 as they feel more like an acoustic piano to me. But hey, it's all subjective and what I feel as light or heavy someone else may think the opposite.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors