New Screen Replacement Option

Yamaha SY77 is a 16 voice multitimbral music workstation first produced by Yamaha Corporation in 1989. The SY77 is a synthesizer whose architecture combines AFM (Advanced Frequency Modulation) synthesis, AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory 2) for ROM-borne sample-based synthesis, and the combination of these two methods christened Realtime Convolution and Modulation Synthesis (RCM).

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
EX5_etc

Re: New Screen Replacement Option

Unread post by EX5_etc » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:46 pm

DrSynth wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:11 am

Re: the USB thing you're not missing anything because it _did_ work simply and well unaltered - I bought the exact the drive you mentioned and used it in it's native firmware for a while, and I'd fire up a Windows VM to do the disk operations when needed. Then getting drives for the additional SY's I've collected over the last 2-3 years, unfortunately I found the firmwares in the additional GOTEK units from the same vendor were all over the place, there was no reliable way to get specific version of firmware in the drives - only one other of the total of 8 I bought worked as the original. Surfing the web indicated others had the same issue.

So that out of the box functionality was hit and miss -- the issue I had was without that particular firmware, formatting the USB stick in regular Windows resulted in the USB drive seeing it as a single 720K disk only recognizing the first folder. I had to use the Keytron disk software to set up the USB Stick. Became a PIA for me, so migrated to HxC which worked the same way as the Keytron software but was at least OSX compatible. The hassle was the cost and difficulty in flashing drives with HxC but I'd rather do that (once) than to keep waiting for launching a Windows VM to do 30 seconds of disk/file management.

Manny
Hi Manny.

I scored another "hit" with a new SFR1M44-FU-DL that came from China this week. It's functionality is ALMOST identical to that of other SFR1M44-FU-DL units I had bought in the past. Two things are different so far. The hidden dual-color LED that was inside the emulator initially and you had to drill a hole for it to become visible is not there anymore. No big deal, I have already located such a LED in the parts bin that I will solder in there.

The other change I noticed is in the firmware. In the past when I removed the USB drive to be able to select the folder I needed with the front buttons I would notice the 3 dots on the display light up. If the USB drive was put back they would turn off. Not anymore, they stay off no matter what. But the remaining functionality appears to be intact. The new unit replaced a floppy drive inside a Yamaha MDF3 I acquired recently and works fine.

I have a question for you and perhaps other members if they can answer it. Along with the emulator I ordered the I2C small OLED display thinking that I could perhaps try flashing the emulator to use the new display, even though the MDF3 does not need that functionality. Do you know if there is a way to copy the existing firmware on the emulator BEFORE any flashing is performed? The OLED display and USB-TTL programing cable are not here yet but that does not stop me from making plans.

Any advice/link on this matter would be appreciated. I have seen sites and videos on how to flash the emulator but nothing on how to copy the existing firmware that came from the factory.

Regards,
DrF
Motif XF6, DeepMind 12, DeepMind 12D, MicroArranger, MicroKorg S, SY99, SY85, QS300, PSR1000, WX5, EX5R, A5000, TG500, TG55, RM50, QY700, QY100, QX5FD, MDF3, MJC8, EMX2, YDP2006, REV500, EMP700, EQ500U, MCS2, AW16G, Axiom Pro 49, AKAI Pro Advance 49, Arturia KeyLab mkII 61, Novation 25SL Mk2, NI Maschine 2, and a few other things by Behringer, Evolution, Philips, Tascam, Technical Pro, Yamaha, etc, etc,... I wish I had time to use all this stuff; I am not even pro. :-)
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
DrSynth

Unread post by DrSynth » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:47 am

Hey, DrF

Sorry for the tardy reply -- unfortuantely no, I don't know how to 'back up' the original firmware other than pulling the chip, and using the 'read' function of my chip burning software/hardware.

You might want to inquire at the FlashFloppy web page at https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki or post the question on their Facebook page

It remotely possible Brian Allan (Shadowmask) may have an idea?

Manny
FM Rig of DOOM!! Yamaha Montage 7, SY99's x9, TG77's x4, Reface DX, FS1r, DX200, DX7II FD E!, DX7II FD, TX802
Yamaha VL1v2, VL70m, AN200
Kurzweil K2000, Korg Wavestation EX, Kawai K1, Sequential Pro One, Arp Odyssey
What's a Roland ...?
YouTube FM Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXY8GT ... R0TSw/feed
SoundCloud FM Examples: https://soundcloud.com/manny-fernandez-4856421
User avatar Barbados
ancient spirit

Unread post by ancient spirit » Fri May 17, 2019 12:29 am

has anyone attempted repairing/changing the RM1x LCD ?
they look identical if not entirely equal ...

which display is pin compatible with the EDMMR03Y00 LCD mentioned on the rm1x sm manual ?
EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc » Fri May 17, 2019 1:56 pm

Unfortunately the displays are not identical. The LCD used in the SY77/99 comes with its own controller, while the one in the RM1X does not have a controller. In the latter case the controller and RAM chip are on the motherboard. It is almost impossible to find a display with the exact dimensions these days that comes without a controller.

There is someone somewhere in Europe that sells these displays but he asks an arm and a leg for something that normally costs about $30. Jacking the price to over $150 is stealing and I could not care less if the entire planet disagrees with me on this subject.

We have been searching for such a display in blue or black for ages because we wish to upgrade the EX5/5R. One solution that I have been considering is to get a regular display like those used in the SY77/99 and remove the controller from it so that it can be used in a different way. I have the tools for the job but I am missing the information on the chips; I cannot find much online.

DrF
Motif XF6, DeepMind 12, DeepMind 12D, MicroArranger, MicroKorg S, SY99, SY85, QS300, PSR1000, WX5, EX5R, A5000, TG500, TG55, RM50, QY700, QY100, QX5FD, MDF3, MJC8, EMX2, YDP2006, REV500, EMP700, EQ500U, MCS2, AW16G, Axiom Pro 49, AKAI Pro Advance 49, Arturia KeyLab mkII 61, Novation 25SL Mk2, NI Maschine 2, and a few other things by Behringer, Evolution, Philips, Tascam, Technical Pro, Yamaha, etc, etc,... I wish I had time to use all this stuff; I am not even pro. :-)
User avatar Bosnia & Herzegovina
Studiostriver

Unread post by Studiostriver » Fri May 17, 2019 4:54 pm

tux wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:34 am
Does anyone know for sure what the seller of the display means when he says:
Pin Header(Soldered as default)
Does that mean by default the pin header is not soldered on, but for 33 cents I can get it with the pin header soldered on?
Should I buy it with this option or without it for the TG 77? :?
This blue screen looks very sexy I must say. ;) Are you happy with it? Can you upload some screenshots here for those who are interested in buying it in a future? I looking forward to buy it if I get positive feedback from you. :)

Kind regards,
Dado.
User avatar Kiribati
tux

Unread post by tux » Sat May 18, 2019 1:03 pm

Studiostriver wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:54 pm
Are you happy with it? Can you upload some screenshots here for those who are interested in buying it in a future? I looking forward to buy it if I get positive feedback from you. :)
Sorry, I haven't mounted it yet, I had and still have too much far more important DIY to do around the house, synth have low priority for me. :cry:
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)
User avatar Bosnia & Herzegovina
Studiostriver

Unread post by Studiostriver » Sat May 18, 2019 4:39 pm

tux wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:03 pm
Studiostriver wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:54 pm
Are you happy with it? Can you upload some screenshots here for those who are interested in buying it in a future? I looking forward to buy it if I get positive feedback from you. :)
Sorry, I haven't mounted it yet, I had and still have too much far more important DIY to do around the house, synth have low priority for me. :cry:
I see.. Well its pretty depressing to hear. :doh:
biscuitdough

Unread post by biscuitdough » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:44 pm

EX5_etc wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:52 am
It took about 5 hours to remove 120 screws, take almost the entire guts out of the SY99, replace the BLUE display with the BLACK one and put everything back together. The SY99 is really intimidating when you see all its guts out and you tell yourself that you have to put everything back together without using the service manual, even though you have one.

Anyway, here is the result:

BLK_LCD.jpg

The picture was taken looking at the display from the top, not from the side where usually the performer is seating. If I look at it from that angle it is not very black, it has a lighter color.

I am still not 100% happy with it because it looked better on the testing bench. I'll have to check the voltage divider values that control the negative voltage supplied to the LCD. I tested the display with my own external voltage divider and forgot to emulate the exact one found inside the SY99. I am getting old I guess, but at least I put the thing back without the freaking manual. So, I still got a working brain, lucky me. :)

I'll do a little more testing and then write-up the long description and start a new thread with more pictures, diagrams and details. I also took pictures showing the process of putting the SY99 back, hoping that one day I may attach a guide to that new thread I'll start. The thread will only have the details about the Black LCD from edited, urls no longer allowed initially, not how to take the SY99 apart and then put it back together. I think someone must have already done that.

All the best,
DrF
Apologies for the late reply!

The tech was willing to work with me and installed a regular black-on-green display to replace the non-working B&W unit. The new display works properly. Thank you for doing this research, though! Folks like you are the best part of the synth community.

I might try your mod when my other SY77's display eventually fails.

Return to “Yamaha SY77 Forum - Covers the Sy77 Keyboard and TG77 Module”