The super knob

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Patrick

The super knob

Unread post by Patrick » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:02 pm

Im not going to lie about it.
When the MONTAGE first came out I made fun of the super knob.
I called it the nipple knob.

Thought it was a little hyped.
I didn't even give the MONTAGE much of a listen at the time cause it seemed pricey, and I was happy with my KRONOS and my MX49 midied together.

Fast forward about three years and now I have MODX with its nipple knob, ahh, super knob.

I have to say the super knob is pretty awesome.

Been messing around with it, trying to learn it.

From now on I will refer to the super knob as the little flying saucer that sits on my MODX ,and not the nipple knob. :lol:
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The super knob

Unread post by Derek » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:24 pm

I have a foot controller assigned to it, as I usually have both hands on the keyboard. Put aside the gimmick of the colour coding and flashing (which I turned off) and of macro controller concept it is driving (which my pedal is now driving) is very powerful.

I’ve had my Montage 7 for two years now, and am very happy with it. I have still only scratched the surface of it, so it will keep me busy for long time.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Patrick

Unread post by Patrick » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:46 pm

Derek wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:24 pm
I have a foot controller assigned to it, as I usually have both hands on the keyboard. Put aside the gimmick of the colour coding and flashing (which I turned off) and of macro controller concept it is driving (which my pedal is now driving) is very powerful.

I’ve had my Montage 7 for two years now, and am very happy with it. I have still only scratched the surface of it, so it will keep me busy for long time.
I am currently using an M AUDIO controller pedal on my MODX, but soon i will add a YAMAHA FC7.
So many great controller options on the MONTAGE and MODX.
I just have to have two controller pedals.

I turned off the flashing part too, but I left the cool looking color light on.
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:03 am

Patrick wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:46 pm
Derek wrote:

I am currently using an M AUDIO controller pedal on my MODX, but soon i will add a YAMAHA FC7.

there should be 2 knobs ;)
Patrick

Unread post by Patrick » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:59 am

GregC wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:03 am
Patrick wrote:
Derek wrote:

there should be 2 knobs ;)

Yeah!
About a foot apart.
Then i could really twist those nipps, err, knobs.
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:29 am

Patrick wrote:
Derek wrote:

FC7 is a great pedal, built like a tank. I have two. But these days I use a Roland FC300 MIDI foot controller. An amazingly flexible controller that you can program as needed for each song.

And, yes, I turned off the super knob flashing, but quite like the colours!
Regards
Derek Cook

User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Derek wrote:
Maybe it's still new to me, but I like the flashing colour, especially when doing sequencing whereby it flashes to the tempo of the beat! :dance:

I don't think I'll do the foot controller thing. I like to press buttons and turn knobs in real time sometimes...plus I think it looks cooler when people see you changing the sound...although I can definitely see its appeal for keeping both hands on the keyboard! 8)
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Perhaps it’s just me, but I found the flashing really irritating and my Montage is tempo synced to a click track, which is giving me the beat.

Food pedal works best for me as I rarely play with one hand free. :)

Each to his/her own of course :)
Regards
Derek Cook

User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Derek wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:31 pm
Food pedal works best for me as I rarely play with one hand free. :)
That sounds yummy! Do you eat the pedal or do you use it to eat with? :lol:

This wasn't the make or break in my decision to purchase the Montage8 over the MODX8, but it is really coming in handy having Aftertouch for squealing feedback notes or vibrato on electric guitar solos, whereby my left hand is freed up to use just the Pitch Bend, or Assign1/2 buttons instead, so I definitely see how a foot pedal could work best in place of the SuperKnob!

I'm still new to this synth, so at some point I wouldn't rule out needing a foot switch for certain songs... ;)
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:43 pm

Well, the way I look at it, is when you are playing an organ chord with one hand, a synth lead with the other, what are you using your other limbs for? How are you going to switch Leslie speed when both hands are busy?

Here is a picture of my rig. Montage 7 on the bottom, Korg Kronos on the top, NUC PC running Cantabile in the gig rack (along with Nord G2, Mixer, Scarlet 2i4 USB, DMXIS interface and IEM transmitter).

But look at my foot area! Here is the FC300 in all its glory along with extra pedals and switches to keep my feet busy....

From left to right, the pedals (2 and.3 on the FC300 to the right)
1 - Organ Swell
2 - Volume (e.g. the fade in/fade out on Shine On You Crazy Diamond)
3 - Leslie Fast/Slow (or other modulation)

From left to right, the switches (4 and 5 on the FC300 to the top middle)
1 -Click/Backing Track start (usually the guitar player or drummer has this)
2- Manual DMX light step (my DMX light show is usually automated, but some events are manual. E.g. Start of Shine on. Fade stage left for keys. Then fade stage right for guitar, then fade out before main song start is all manual before we kick the backing track in, which then controls the DMX cues
3 - DMX Hazer, so I can fill the stage with haze for the lights when I need a boost above the background haze production (and annoy the backing singers who reckon the haze dries their throats! ;)
4 - Depends on the song, but for example on “On the Run” - fades in the sample I use to bridge between Breathe and the On the Run Performace
5 - As above for (4), but starts/stops the “On the run sequence”

So consider Shine On. I have so much to do, holding on the massive left hand chord (10 layers in the Kronos and Wine glass samples on the Montage), single note effects or lead on the right hand, so how do I trigger light cues and fade in my sounds when both hands are on the keys? My feet of course!

And all the FC300 is doing is producing MIDI data into the rig according to how I have programmed it for each song. But you will never get this flexibility from an FC7 connected to your board. this is why the FC300 is so critical to me. :)

This (using my feet philosophy) is why my first instinct is to get the macro controller behind the super knob on a foot pedal! :)

This also shows why my FC300 is so indispensable. I have had it for 11 years and could not be without it, despite having changed my keyboard rig. Indeed, I have just acquired a second FC300 as a spare (as after the 10 year point I start getting a little concerned about hardware reliability - and the gigs I do must carry on if you do get a failure). Amazingly the FC300 is still sold by Roland in its original form that I purchased in 2008, and it was probably on the market several years prior to that - which is amazing longevity for a hardware product these days - it is still in demand.

It is not cheap (Behinger FCB is cheaper) but it is so versatile, and.a relative bargain when you amortise it’s cost over a decade (at least) of ownership!

And of course, I m switching patches using the FC300 switches closest to my feet (along with bank up/down switches on the top left). Because the Kronos and Montage so smooth sound transition/switching (and Cantabile on the PC will also do it to a degree for the VSTs I use) it means I can play sounds with both hands and seamlessly switch to new ones without taking my hands off of the keyboards.

Hope that gives sone ideas on why you should not let you feet go idle in a gig :mrgreen: And of course with both feet busy, as well as arms, it means I have an excuse to sit down ... like the drummer! :D

Love your feet as well as your hands. :D
Regards
Derek Cook

User avatar Australia
DeltaJockey

Unread post by DeltaJockey » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 am

I too was critical of the "Superknob", when it was first released. Not it's functionality or purpose...but the name they gave it, and the throbbing light. It just seemed so untechnical and 19th century scifi, for such a well engineered control.

The first thing I did when powering up my MODX was to disable the throbbing light. I don't look at it for beat, in fact I found it a distraction.
I have an FC7 assigned to it too, and rarely manually move the knob now. I never criticized its relevance or value, just the cringworthy immature advertising language!

It is integral to my MODX playing experience nevertheless :)
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Derek wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:43 pm
Well, the way I look at it, is when you are playing an organ chord with one hand, a synth lead with the other, what are you using your other limbs for? How are you going to switch Leslie speed when both hands are busy?

Hope that gives sone ideas on why you should not let you feet go idle in a gig :mrgreen: And of course with both feet busy, as well as arms, it means I have an excuse to sit down ... like the drummer! :D

Love your feet as well as your hands. :D
Now that's a Dream setup, love it!
Of course I am partial to the Montage8 mainly because piano is my #1 thing & I like the weighted keys for that, but that's just my preference for the bottom keyboard. I would actually prefer a Montage7 or Kronos7 for synth, organ & other sounds, but that was the trade-off I had to make. I suppose I could just connect my DX7II via MIDI if I really wanted that feel!? ...I'm trying to keep my setup as basic as possible..."One keyboard to rule them all!" :lol:

And I always stand when playing live, so that would make it difficult for me to use the sustain and another foot pedal at the same time if I were playing piano with one hand and organ with the other. Although, never say never...we'll see what happens, maybe in the future! Maybe for organ swells I could switch it up in different songs, where one song I use the pedal and another I use Aftertouch or something else for swells!? The good thing is, there are lots of options and the possibilities with the Montage 8 are almost endless! ;)
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:38 pm

DeltaJockey wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 am
I too was critical of the "Superknob", when it was first released. Not it's functionality or purpose...but the name they gave it, and the throbbing light. It just seemed so untechnical and 19th century scifi, for such a well engineered control.

I never criticized its relevance or value, just the cringworthy immature advertising language!
Here I am 51 and think the SuperKnob is really cool in name, flashing colours, etc. What does that say about my maturity level!? :dance:
My wife certainly seems to think it's more like a 4 year old's much of the time! :lol:
User avatar Wales
lyndon ge

Unread post by lyndon ge » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:39 am

Hi Derek, thanks for your excellent post and rig pic above, I'm a new owner of a MODX and very pleased with it so far and I also have an FC-300, I'd initially been disappointed to find no info when searching for FC300 and MODX, then came across your posts. Any tips you have for setting up the FC300 with MODX would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Lyndon

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”