Intermittent Static / crackling noise while playing

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Tomco

Intermittent Static / crackling noise while playing

Unread post by Tomco » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:58 pm

I am a relatively new owner of the MODX8 prior to this I owned the MOX8 Loved my MOX8 and really like the MODX8...

I'm a little troubled with this intermittent static / crackling noise I'm experiencing.... it may be just a for a few seconds or it can go on for close to a minute...then gone for a while (from 10 minutes to a few hours later) then it rears it's ugly head again...At first I thought it might be a power supply thing but tried a different power supply with the same results...

Has anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions on what I might be experiencing here?

Thanks in advance!

Tomco
Patrick

Re: Intermittent Static / crackling noise while playing

Unread post by Patrick » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:44 am

Hi Tomco,
have you tried different cables? or,
the cables tips could need cleaned with some contact cleaner.

If it isn't power supply or cables causing the issue,
then perhaps you can post a detailed description of how you have your MODX setup.
Could be something in the setup.

If you know your setup is good and none of the above fixes the issue, then it could be a problem with the MODX malfunctioning.
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi,

Try the advice by Patrick first. More than likely to be bad external connections/cables. Swap them out first before worrying about the synth.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Belgium
GuyDenruyter

Unread post by GuyDenruyter » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:27 am

I have the same issue. I could not determine the source yet, but I plan on figuring out. The thing that worries me a bit is that the noise seems to come from both Left and Right channels (which means it cannot be the cables).
Patrick

Unread post by Patrick » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:53 am

GuyDenruyter and Tomco,

Is the crackling coming from all audio sources?

Is it just speakers crackling?
or does it crackle from headphones as well?
If it is just speakers, perhaps try other audio speakers if you have them, to see if it might be something going on with the speakers.
I dont know if it is possible with MODX setups, but i am trying to determine if it could be some kind of speaker interrupted current.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:12 am

Also check if you are near a computer or mobile phone. I have had similar issues in the past and it was caused by my computer. Every so often...at apparently random times I would get what sounded like static interference and then it would suddenly disappear. Then I noticed when the computer was off I never had the problem. I am not entirely sure but it seemed to be whenever the hard drive was being accessed that the interference was present.

I changed to a SSD and not had any issues since.

Anyway it is just one more thing to throw into the mix of possibilities.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Belgium
GuyDenruyter

Unread post by GuyDenruyter » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:03 pm

In my case, it was not a Modx issue, just some open-ended cables that were shamefully plugged in into my mixing console... :)
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:14 pm

GuyDenruyter wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:03 pm
In my case, it was not a Modx issue, just some open-ended cables that were shamefully plugged in into my mixing console... :)
Well at least you sorted it :) These things can be incredibly difficult to track down or as in your case incredibly easy. Very glad it wasn't anything to do with the MODX though (Y)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 pm

Always a good idea to use quality cables - and use "balanced" if possible (TRS rather than TS)

if your devices are so equipped.

It's the way the Pros do it, as they prefer to be "working" rather than chasing down faults . . . ;)

Many boards (except the most expensive these days) sadly are only equipped with TS outputs.

In this case it is best to "balance" them with a passive balancing box to prevent these problems when

connecting to a "balanced" system, be it a FOH setup in a live situation, or a Studio . . .

IIRC, both the Montage and the Genos HAVE balanced OUTS . . .I don't remember what the MODX has . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Tomco

Unread post by Tomco » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:07 am

Saul wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:12 am
Also check if you are near a computer or mobile phone. I have had similar issues in the past and it was caused by my computer. Every so often...at apparently random times I would get what sounded like static interference and then it would suddenly disappear. Then I noticed when the computer was off I never had the problem. I am not entirely sure but it seemed to be whenever the hard drive was being accessed that the interference was present.

I changed to a SSD and not had any issues since.

Anyway it is just one more thing to throw into the mix of possibilities.
To clarify I have tried multiple cables , just headphones, with and without the sustain pedal...but the computer thing I have not tried and I have a big ol iMac that I use right in front of the Modx ...I'll have to try it with the Mac shut off and see if it does it or not...

Out of town for a few weeks so I'll update after I get back....
Tomco

Unread post by Tomco » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:42 pm

Saul I think you may have solved the mystery and I have to admit that it seems petty strange that this would be the issue. Out of curiosity was it an iMac that you were using? Maybe Apple used a certain hard drive that has a odd glitch design that causes this intermittent static...or maybe it's just a certain type of hard drive...This said I only got to test for an hour or so but for sure no issue with the iMac off...weird...

I will further test and swap to a SSD like you if this is truly the problem...

Thanks for the tip!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:04 pm

Yes it was indeed an iMac. My particular model came fitted with a 1TB Seagate but they were notorious for being noisy and premature failure. I fitted a 500Gb SSD instead and that solved the noise issue plus it is a much more efficient drive. I also have one in the PC now and that boots almost instantly which given it is running the bloatfest that is Windows 10 is quite something ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”