User avatar United States of America
insoul8

Re: Casio FZ-1/VZ-1 Aftermarket screen?

Unread post by insoul8 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:50 pm

Rara wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:34 am
insoul8 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:11 pm
Hey guys, just came across this thread. Very cool stuff you are doing! Can't wait to see if a viable solution comes out of all this incredible work. I actually have a very nice example of an FZ-1. It's basically in mint condition- it was stored at a university and hardly used. The only issue is the backlight. I of course would love a replacement screen or some kind of retrofit led backlight but my real question is: if i do nothing, is it assured that my FZ-1 will eventually develop the issues that others have had due to the broken backlight? Is it safe to use until I notice any of the other crashing behaviors? I find the FZ-1 totally usable without the backlight in my studio so I'm fine without fixing it for now so long as I'm not doing further damage to it. Adjusting the contrast is the key for me and then I can see everything fine. Thanks!
Nice to see another working FZ out there (Y)

I would love to see a replacement screen also, (as would many others) due to the truly unique nature of the FZ,
it will be near impossible to make a replacement screen to fit without any modifications
IMO the FZ1 is a Dodo.

There is a big glitch in the FZ1, A non functioning back-light can cause corruption to sample data, don't ask me how, it just does.
Also the inverter for the back-light whines like any other EL back-light synth. best thing you can do for now is disconnect (unplug)
the the back-light. If the screen is still readable without a back-light like a CZ, leave it as is.

Rara 0-)
Thanks for the reply! Yes, the FZ is truly a unique sounding synth. Luckily I also have a Fizzle Guts from ALM in my eurorack that will give me the amazing filter for a long time to come I hope. But I'd also like to prolong the life of this Dodo for as long as I can too.

This is the explanation I found re: the backlight issue-
The FZ's and VZ's are renowned for their backlights dying (as are many synths). When the FZ/VZ backlight finally dies, the backlight EL sheet that glows goes high resistance, this causes the backlight power supply inverter (which eventually provides 90V AC to power the EL sheet) to go into oscillation - often a high pitched whine is heard coming from the screen also. This crashes the whole system and it won't boot, the screen is either garbled or nothing showing at all. This is a well known documented fault.

The solution: You need to disconnect the backlight AND also unsolder a tiny voltage step-up transformer mounted on the circuit board (on the FZ-1 it is on the main board - on the FZ10M it may be on the screen board itself). You have to remove or disable the transformer; This is the component that is affected (and the 2 transistors next to it) by the backlight going high resistance.
If this is correct, which I have no reason to doubt, it sounds like simply unplugging the backlight won't do the trick alone unfortunately. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I can chime in on this. Otherwise, I might find a local synth repair shop around here to try and help me do this as my screen seems fine without the backlight so long as i can still adjust the contrast.
User avatar Australia
Rara

Unread post by Rara » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:07 am

I forgot about the transformer bit, thanks for the reminder :-)
I did do that to mine as well. It was working well after that
for a few years before more pixels started dropping out
and screen was unreadable on power on.

Rara 0-)
insoul8

Unread post by insoul8 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:30 pm

Has anyone ever tried talking to a company like phoenixdisplay dot com?

It seems they can do custom replacement screens for obsolete products. No idea how feasible or the cost but I’m pretty sure all the schematics are out there for them to make something if the demand were there to make it worth it.
User avatar Australia
Rara

Unread post by Rara » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:50 pm

thanks for the tip, I have emailed them. I will not hold my breath.
there will no doubt be a tooling fee and an MOQ.
I'll wait for response from them. :-)

Rara 0-)

Edit: as I had expected from the reply, its not going to happen.
Fz-1's are a dying breed and will be the dodo of synths.
insoul8

Unread post by insoul8 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Damn, that sucks though I wasn't optimistic. I really don't want to give up on this amazing synth.
User avatar Australia
Rara

Unread post by Rara » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:47 am

insoul8 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:22 pm
Damn, that sucks though I wasn't optimistic. I really don't want to give up on this amazing synth.
I already have :-( it is pointless exercise trying to save it.

Rara 0-)
insoul8

Unread post by insoul8 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Assuming you don't care about the backlight, is the screen from a Casio FX-7000g a viable replacement? Would it be a simple drop in as long as the display pcb on the FZ is still functional?
User avatar Australia
Rara

Unread post by Rara » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:54 am

insoul8 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 pm
Assuming you don't care about the backlight, is the screen from a Casio FX-7000g a viable replacement? Would it be a simple drop in as long as the display pcb on the FZ is still functional?
Unfortunately not a possibility, I have explored that idea and have
made mention of it on this thread further back I think, if not
the other thread of mine about restoring this synth.

there are some pictures on here which show you how the screen is
put together. Try to imagine inside the calculator, IIRC the screen is
floating on little rubber strips with carbon tracks on it. It has been
a long time since i dissected a casio calculator.

the LCD screen in the FZ1 isn't the problem, as such, its the cables (flexible printed circuits)
attached to the screen and the driver board which are the problem.

Once the FPC's start to detach there is little chance of reattaching them as they
are thermally glued on. it maybe possible to reattach them with gentle heat
it is highly likely the glue has gone off after 30+ years and will not stick any more.

Rara 0-)

Return to “Other Casio Keyboards - MZ, VZ1, FZ-1, CZ-1, CZ-5000, XW-G1, XW-P1”