The Lock Down

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

Re: The Lock Down

Unread post by shelly0624 »

My daughter's boyfriend is a plumber (bonus - if our boiler breaks down we have a man and a van load of plumbing spares on the drive!) and he was called out today by the housing association he works for to fix a leaking tap. The lady answered the door and said he shouldn't have come as she has COVID-19!!! Two epic fails there. His organisation still sending him, and the lady opening the door!
WHAT?!! Oh my gosh!! :shock:

I just found out that I can't get a refill on my arthritis medication, hydroxychloroquine...aka plaquenil -- the only thing that worked. In fact the osteoarthritis had gone into remission. It also treats malaria, apparently. There is a big run on that drug to treat the coronavirus. Methotrexate, the 2nd go-to drug for arthritis can cause your hair to fall out ..YAY!! (it's like a mild form of chemo). I was taking it for awhile. It kinda made me feel sick and didn't work very well (and bald is the last thing I want to be).
I might be able to get Plaquenil later, hopefully, months from now. This whole thing is an eye-opener. It proves just how little we are truly in control of things.

EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc »

It is more than an eye opener... humans must think how it's possible despite all that amazing technology they developed in recent years to have a tiny little thing they cannot even see (with bare eyes) affect their existence to that degree.

I am afraid however, based on past historical events, that as soon as it is over we will simply go back to whatever we were doing before. Ignoring the voices of those that will try to remind us of the current situation, or those that will tell us of a little asteroid out there that is on a collision course with our planet at this moment. Ready to wipe out everyone but those on the space station.

As for you Derek, please accept my sincere condolences. I lost my mother a little over two years ago and I know how it feels. Don't think however that sad things happen only in the UK. In Greece the government offers to cover funeral expenses to people of low income. My father applied for this benefit and could not find anyone to talk to in person or on the phone for over 16 months. One day, after all this time had passed, the bank told him that a certain amount was deposited in his account, for past funeral expenses. Nobody ever called, nobody ever wrote to him to let him know what had happened to his application.

DrF
Motif XF6, DeepMind 12, DeepMind 12D, MicroArranger, MicroKorg S, SY99, SY85, QS300, PSR1000, WX5, EX5R, A5000, TG500, TG55, RM50, QY700, QY100, QX5FD, MDF3, MJC8, EMX2, YDP2006, REV500, EMP700, EQ500U, MCS2, AW16G, Axiom Pro 49, AKAI Pro Advance 49, Arturia KeyLab mkII 61, Novation 25SL Mk2, NI Maschine 2, and a few other things by Behringer, Evolution, Philips, Tascam, Technical Pro, Yamaha, etc, etc,... I wish I had time to use all this stuff; I am not even pro. :-)

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

Unread post by Derek »

Thanks both. We do seem to love in a crazy world, but we do need to remember there is still far more good than bad in human nature, it's just that the bad sticks out far more and lingers for longer.

We'll get but, but Shelly I do hope that you get the meds you need, and music will keep us sane. I posted a song in the music corner last night, and am now picking over another one I worked on well over a year ago, picking out all of the good bits to form the song. This one will be a lot simpler than the last one and is quite reflective which I think suites our current times and mood.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

One thing I've learned. Certain things can really aggravate arthritis. Sugar is a bad one, but also for me it's tomatoes. Many doctors don't agree that food can play a part in internal inflammation but I know by experience that if I "fall off the wagon" I will pay for it. Tomatoes are known to be a bad actor for people with arthrits, among other things. I don't get a reaction from many of the foods, like dairy, that other people with arthritis do, but the medication helped most. And I can tell the arthritis is coming out of remission. I had already cut down on the dose because it said that one side effect is diminished sight over time. I had cut the does in half; a bad idea because I was already on a minimum. Vision would not have been a problem. Not a good idea to self-diagnose sometimes. I had decided to go back to the full dose when this happened. So to not have any, on top of the recent change is making the arthritis active again.

I don't mind pain. Immobility is the thing, not being able to bend my fingers.. I'm just now able to make music again, not guitar, but keyboard. It would break my heart if my hands became so bad I couldn't play even that. I'm playing the songs I wrote now.. playing the new ones I was learning on guitar before my hands stopped cooperating. It's like coming back to life. Lock down, for me, has been hours at the keyboard and the whole world of music being given back to me in a gift box. I can't wait, when I can pull myself away, to hear what all of you have been working on. Right now, I just can't stop working on my own stuff. But you guys inspire me with your talent; those songs I've been lucky enough to hear..

I'm optimistic. I'll go on methotrexate for awhile (and pray I won't lose 8-9 years of growing my hair long). I'm sure the other med will be available again eventually.
Geez .. this desperate, hoarding thing is unsettling. Human nature can be spooky. In an apocalyptic situation I can't imagine the form it would take.

EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc »

Here is a short video of a sweet 4-year old child that talks about hoarding. I found it on the many sites I visited in the last few days. You may have already seen it somewhere. Now why is it that this kid makes more sense than many adults I don't know. There are humans and then there are humans...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf9dqbh6rqA

DrF
Motif XF6, DeepMind 12, DeepMind 12D, MicroArranger, MicroKorg S, SY99, SY85, QS300, PSR1000, WX5, EX5R, A5000, TG500, TG55, RM50, QY700, QY100, QX5FD, MDF3, MJC8, EMX2, YDP2006, REV500, EMP700, EQ500U, MCS2, AW16G, Axiom Pro 49, AKAI Pro Advance 49, Arturia KeyLab mkII 61, Novation 25SL Mk2, NI Maschine 2, and a few other things by Behringer, Evolution, Philips, Tascam, Technical Pro, Yamaha, etc, etc,... I wish I had time to use all this stuff; I am not even pro. :-)

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

What a little heart-melter <3
Out of the mouth of babes....

One thing... people have been sewing masks for people who need to work in public. That's nice. :) (But they can't keep up).
I think it's time to rock the cowboy train robber look ..

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-old-w ... 57654.html

Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Australia

Unread post by Rara »

shelly0624 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:38 pm
One thing I've learned. Certain things can really aggravate arthritis. Sugar is a bad one, but also for me it's tomatoes. Many doctors don't agree that food can play a part in internal inflammation but I know by experience that if I "fall off the wagon" I will pay for it. Tomatoes are known to be a bad actor for people with arthrits, among other things.
Many doctors will not agree diet is an answer because the solution is too simple and they can be very ignorant.
If they told the world and backed it with plenty of research they'll lose some business.
There is more money to be made in treating symptoms than there is prevention or cures.

I have had the same problem here with both dermatologists and rheumatologists, they wont accept the fact for me
full cream milk, the fat in beef, and as you say sugar aggravates the arthritis. Even after proof via xrays.
The human body was never designed to digest bovine lactose with levels of IGF-1 in it 20 times that of human milk (nursing).
Simply boiling milk on the stove letting it cool and removing the fat from the top is enough to make milk usable by those whose arthritis is
triggered by dairy. The fat triggers the inflammation. They (the doctors) would rather have me on an old primitive cancer drug
whose side effects are worse than the benefits. Methotrexate and sulfasalazine and the like are nasty.
EX5_etc wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:55 pm
Here is a short video of a sweet 4-year old child that talks about hoarding. I found it on the many sites I visited in the last few days. You may have already seen it somewhere. Now why is it that this kid makes more sense than many adults I don't know. There are humans and then there are humans...

DrF
As for the hoarding, it's blind leading the blind in a very inconsiderate and selfish manner.
In Australia, it is reported that we have enough supplies from our farmers for 75 million people,
with a population of 25 million there is plenty to go round for everyone,
yet the shops are sold out of basic needs.

Rara 0-)

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rara,
I didn't know it was the fat in dairy that caused the aggravation. That's good to know. I switched over to almond milk a while back (tastes kinda nasty). I don't know if I get a reaction from dairy because I cut most of it out. It was common knowledge that dairy is bad for autoimmune maladies, so I just did anyway. I'll watch it with the meat.

Methotrexate is the stuff that makes your hair fall out and sulfasalazine makes me sick. That's bad stuff. You're supposed to crush it and put it in food but I refuse to take it anymore. Hydroxychloroquine had fewer side effects and put the arthritis into remission. My mom's hands are painful and look completely grotesque. I wish she had tried the hydroxy and maybe the twisted fingers and huge joints would have been averted somewhat. Sugar is a killer.. a day or two of that and I can expect a bad flare. I'm thankful it's not in my knees so I can hike. My daughter had a friend in high school who had psoriatic arthritis. So unfair when people have to endure that one. It's bad.

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well, one thing I DO know is that arthritis patients across the nation and also other countries can't get their medication and the alternative meds are not good. It is also used to treat many autoimmune illness like fibromyalgia..etc. My medical provider told me that only lupus patients were going to get hydroxychloroquin.

The thing that's really sad is that there are people in other countries who won't be getting medication for malaria, the original purpose for this drug. I have Facebook friends from Uganda, and at least two of them that I know of have suffered through an episode of that. I wonder if it's become a money-making thing, where opportunistic types are selling the drug to the USA for a significant price. So.. the others are sacrificed. (Truthfully, if the drug really helps, I could go without it temporarily). But it is speculative and I hope it's not at the expense of those whose lives depend on hydroxycholorquin. In the meantime, science is at work and I've heard there are a few breakthroughs .. not for prevention but for treatment.

I just hope they sort it all out or make more because the arthritis in my hands is now active again (out of remission -- the progression had finally stopped and even partially reversed before now). And that's a small problem when I think of others who have it so much worse. I didn't want to de-rail the original topic, but it does have me thinking about dire times and scenarios in the future where medicines of other kinds might be hard to get. (Emergency situations).

There is an overlap of time where you can order your meds a week or so before they run out. I'm going to start saving the extra pills for emergencies when it becomes available again. We also keep a small pantry of extra food and buy a month's supply of common things at the beginning of the month-- paper products, including anti-bacterial stuff..everything personal and household. I've been glad because we haven't had to go to the store yet for the shortage items and can even help our adult kids when they can't make their paycheck stretch enough. I hope that after the desperate hoarding phase, people will make the common sense choice to have a little extra for times when things can't be purchased. Maybe they would still hoard. Depends on the person, I guess. We have an imminent threat of a huge coastal earthquake where I live. Everybody knows about it so they save extra everything around here, medical supplies included.

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

Unread post by Derek »

shelly0624 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:38 pm
One thing I've learned. Certain things can really aggravate arthritis. Sugar is a bad one, but also for me it's tomatoes. Many doctors don't agree that food can play a part in internal inflammation but I know by experience that if I "fall off the wagon" I will pay for it. Tomatoes are known to be a bad actor for people with arthrits, among other things.
My late father in law had arthritis so bad that, when my wife was growing up, he had to come down the stairs in their house on his behind (like a kid would for fun). And then he found that changing his diet was all he needed to do to manage it - that and cod liver oil tablets. So by the time I met him, he was moving about more normally. He still suffered, but it was under control.

And he found the same as you, Shelley, that it was tomatoes that caused him the biggest problem due to the acids in them, which was terrible for him as he was a keen gardener, and always had green houses full of them. He still grew them after that, but did not eat them himself.

The other thing of interest is that he was also an avid bee keeper - the honey was gorgeous and nothing like the blended rubbish you get in the supermarkets! Anyway, the point regarding this topic is that he had found over the years that if he got stung, the bee venom interacted with the arthritis in some manner, and it would disappear for anything from a few hours to a few days after being stung.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Derek, something you said jogged my memory. Something I had read a long time ago about bee venom. Your father-in-law was on to something.. Bee venom, used in a different (processed) way, in smaller doses, is an anti-inflammatory. Lately people are finding pain management solutions that aren't addictive and easier on your innards. Of course cannabis, CBD or whatever -- topical or consumed, is one -- (never worked for me..but for some..).
I believe that we have the components on this planet to cure most diseases. Some of them are very simple. We just haven't found most of them yet.

Anyway...I found this.. and they are gradually finding out that it's healing properties may go even beyond this. That, of course, is always subjective and claims sometimes morph into "snake-oil" remedies. Still, the anti-inflammatory properties of bee venom I believe has some merit and has been known for decades. Wasp stings, on the other hand --- those dirty buggars --- have no merit whatsoever!!! :lol: (They are a blight to our campsites when Andy and I are on vacation..)

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/bee-venom

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

I am increasingly sure that a sizeable proportion of the British public do not actually understand English.

Brighton. Saturday morning:
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 20.37.22.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 20.37.22.png (502.46 KiB) Viewed 419 times

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 20.36.36.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 20.36.36.png (496.6 KiB) Viewed 419 times
:/:
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It's like a ghost town here. People are more likely to die from boredom here than perish from the virus... :?

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Almost everything was closed up as soon as the ruling took effect. Nothing is open.. not even the playgrounds or state parks. Only a few people are walking the streets. They WERE going to keep the drive-in movie theater open but that was closed too. Cabin fever! And it hasn't even been that long. The only things open here are some stores that carry food, some pharmacies (not all), a few clinics--some restaurants (if you order take-out). You can walk outside, ride a bicycle, ride a horse, go on a picnic or hike. But all of these places are FULL of people. (No 6 ft rule there). If you go in the department stores that carry food, very few people are in there and they are giving each other lots of space. There is a little more respect for this virus since reports are filtering back of younger, healthy, people falling sick and even dying. We decided to take our granddaughter out, to get her out of the house, but there was literally nowhere to take her. We got some take-out breakfast and drove forever.. We won't take her into a store.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

We went out for some supplies yesterday. First time in 5 days that we have actually left the apartment. There is a queueing system in place although luckily we turned up at just the right time and didn't need to wait.

The shelves were pretty well full. Just a few sections empty. All the basics were there though. The main problem was keeping a distance from other people. Some were obviously doing their best but others clearly couldn't care less. Also, younger members of staff were completely ignoring the restrictions. That doesn't exactly set an example and I have to wonder what on earth the store manager was doing. He/she should have been on top of that situation straight away!

We do have to venture out again in the morning just to go to the pharmacy and then that will be it for us for at least another week.

Must admit the roads were very quiet though and on the streets, it was clear the message is finally getting through. Or at least in the town where we live. As you can see from the photos. Brighton was completely the opposite as were many places around the UK.

I wonder just how many people need to die before some take this virus seriously :(
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.