Genos CFX...

Yamaha Genos digital workstation keyboard

Moderators: Buzzard, parametric, Derek, Saul

pologuy
United States of America

Genos CFX...

Unread post by pologuy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:40 pm

Is it just me or do the YouTube demos of the CFX (and other pianos) on the new Genos sound... leaps ahead of Yamaha's other keyboards...?

Monte
Japan

Re: Genos CFX...

Unread post by Monte » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:43 pm

To me they sound quite alike?
Last edited by Monte on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

((i))

pologuy
United States of America

Unread post by pologuy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:24 pm

Didn't Yamaha always reserve the best piano samples (CFX, CFSIII, etc.) - for the Tyros, now Genos, series...?

Monte
Japan

Unread post by Monte » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:02 am

Good question. Let's say it mostly sounds great, is a good board. you'll be fine with it! or with a Genos for that matter I think.
Last edited by Monte on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

((i))

pologuy
United States of America

Unread post by pologuy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:14 am

I am actually waiting for NAMM before making any decision. :)

SysExJohn
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:44 am

Actually, if you want a really good implementation of the Yamaha CFX piano, then Garritan brought out an excellent VSTi some time ago that won't break the bank, and a 'lite' version that's also remarkably good. It was all sampled at Abbey Road studios.
I bought the lite version a little while ago.

The drawback?
You need about 13 GB of disk space for the lite version, and a good ASIO sound card to get low latency real-time playing.
You also need a fast disk drive or SSD for loading the sample player.
For most articulations it's sampled at 20 different dynamic levels.
It now supports partial pedalling too.

Admittedly most (all?) youtube videos are showing classical music played using the sample set.

MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5.

pologuy
United States of America

Unread post by pologuy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:26 pm

SysExJohn wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:44 am
Actually, if you want a really good implementation of the Yamaha CFX piano, then Garritan brought out an excellent VSTi some time ago that won't break the bank, and a 'lite' version that's also remarkably good. It was all sampled at Abbey Road studios.
I bought the lite version a little while ago.

The drawback?
You need about 13 GB of disk space for the lite version, and a good ASIO sound card to get low latency real-time playing.
You also need a fast disk drive or SSD for loading the sample player.
For most articulations it's sampled at 20 different dynamic levels.
It now supports partial pedalling too.

Admittedly most (all?) youtube videos are showing classical music played using the sample set.
Yes, the Garritan CFX Abbey Roads Studio One is definitely a great VST - many consider it to be the best VST of a grand piano available today.

The other, comparable one, is VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 - beautiful grand piano and sampling, etc.

And then, of course, Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D - of which Yamaha has a synth loadable version (8 velocity layers (610 MB) instead of the 20 layers in the VST) called American Grand.

Backporch Music
United States of America

Teeter Totter

Unread post by Backporch Music » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:08 pm

With the advancing electronic invasion into music, how can one differentiate what is electronic genius or musical knowledge and skill.
Given sufficient time, it seems that computer skill could create any kind of music (including vocals) at professional levels and conventional musicians have the advantage only in interactive performance. Has the pleasure of simply playing music been rerouted to programming something "new and better" than live musicians?
Is practice futile :/:

• Genos, Tyros4, Roland 550
mobile presentations for senior groups
RETIREMENT - youthless
Dick

SysExJohn
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here BackPorch but no, practise isn't futile.

The Garritan Sample Player doesn't create music, it is simply an electronic version of a very expensive grand piano.
A quite precise copy, electronically, of a Yamaha CFX concert grand.

One couples a piano keyboard to the software and plays it, just like the real thing.
The better one's technique and powers of interpretation the better it sounds.
It does have the ability to playback a MIDI file as well.

It just means for an outlay of around 80 dollars, for the lite version, one can have a pretty accurate simulation of a 100,000 pound concert grand in your home.

There's a very good interpretation of a Chopin Mazurka played (by a human being) using the software on youtube.

MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Totally agree John.

I have found, during the process of creating my own compositions, that the QUALITY of performance at the data input stage is ALL IMPORTANT.

This is why I intensively PRACTICE the parts I am playing-in. There really is no substitute . . .

YES, OF COURSE, you can correct and edit midi easily after the event, but the attention to detail required is enormous if it is to sound "natural".

The expressiveness encapsulated by a well executed performance, contains nuances of velocity, aftertouch and volume which is all captured "in the moment". Editing it CONVINCINGLY, out of context of "the performance" is both difficult and time consuming - so (IMO) the LESS editing you have to do - the better.

This parallels nicely with a former "life" of mine as a technical photographer.

If the image is NOT sharp - or is badly exposed - FORGET IT.

All the histrionics in the darkroom will take forever and will never get a good print.

These days, we are BLESSED with amazing tech in our DAWs and VSTis, which enable us to "Have" instruments we could never afford to own in the flesh. The answer to the maiden's prayer - so to speak.

The ability to PLAY well, with accuracy and expression I don't think will ever be "automated" . . .

(Remember - SOMEONE had to produce that midi file :roll: )

This becomes EVEN MORE difficult (IMO) if you are "realizing" non-keyboard instruments ON a keyboard - especially if you have no knowledge of how the real instrument is played - or what their limitation and range are . . . .

The result is more likely to be a case of "Close - but no cigar!" IMO

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Yamaha Genos Forum”