New DGX660 owner

Yamaha PSR/PSS & DGX Home Keyboards. If your particular model PSR/PSS/DGX keyboard doesn't have it's own section here is the place to post.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

EB5AGV
Spain

New DGX660 owner

Unread post by EB5AGV » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:20 pm

yamaha_dgx660.png
Yamaha DGX 660
Hi all,

A couple months ago I bought an SY77 and began my long-due (decades) begin of learning to properly play a keyboard. I have had a great time fixing it (http://www.jvgavila.com/Yamaha_SY77_repair.htm) and I enjoy it quite a lot. But a couple of weeks ago I began to attend piano classes weekly and the need of something more close to an acoustic piano (both for sound and feel) arised. So I looked at the P series (P45, P115), which would probably be more than enough for a complete beginner like me. But then the DGX660, which uses the same keybed than the P115 but included a full array of other interesting things, crossed my path... And, after some days thinking about it, I finally ordered one (it should arrive this week :D )

I hope my decission is right, as I am not going to carry it along, so size and weight are not a big problem, and I think I will enjoy the possibilities which this model add compared to the P115, which was my second option.

Even if I have already decided, I would like to hear you opinion about this :wink:

BTW, I am going to keep the SY77 and it will be on same place it is now, so the DGX660 will not replace but complement it.

Regards,

Jose
Yamaha: SY77, DGX660, SPX990
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: New DGX660 owner

Unread post by Saul » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:11 pm

The DGX 660 is a great keyboard and the 88-note weighted GHS keyboard is definitely worth having if you want to pursue playing the "piano" as opposed to a home keyboard/synth. There really is no substitute for a good weighted keybed.

Also of course as you mentioned the DGX660 gives you a lot more than a piano ever could so really you have the best of all worlds. (Y)

Will be very interested to hear how you get on with it when it arrives.
Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Cabernet DC/Dowina Chardonnay DC/Dowina Rustica GAC/Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Website Design & Managed Hosting www.rabbittree.uk
EB5AGV
Spain

Unread post by EB5AGV » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Saul wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:11 pm
The DGX 660 is a great keyboard and the 88-note weighted GHS keyboard is definitely worth having if you want to pursue playing the "piano" as opposed to a home keyboard/synth. There really is no substitute for a good weighted keybed.

Also of course as you mentioned the DGX660 gives you a lot more than a piano ever could so really you have the best of all worlds. (Y)

Will be very interested to hear how you get on with it when it arrives.
Hi Saul,

Thanks for your comments.

I am curious about this:
... the 88-note weighted GHS keyboard is definitely worth having if you want to pursue playing the "piano" as opposed to a home keyboard/synth
My aim is to learn to play both... But it seems to me that playing a synth when you play a piano is easier than the opposite, due mainly to the weighted key action.

I have conducted an small experiment today... I had an M-Audio Oxygen 49 MIDI controller stored, from last time (about 5 years ago) I tried to do some music (well, that time there were other things which prevented it, but that is another story). So I have set a Mac Pro 3.1 with Garage Band and have connected the Oxygen 49 to it. The key action on the Oxygen 49 should be close to a toy piano!. As I had side-by-side the SY77, I have been able to do an A-B comparison so it was not just a prejudice for the cheap controller, it is really that way.

Well, the point is that I have been playing the Oxygen 49, with its simple key mechanism and, in short time I was playing similarly than on the SY77. So my reasoning is that going from higher to lower key weight is not a big problem but the reverse may be. All of this taking into account that I don't pretend to become a professional player, but a decent amateur one, just for the pleasure of doing some music :D

Sorry for this off-topic rant, but all is based on my DGX660 buying decission :wink:

Regards,

Jose
Yamaha: SY77, DGX660, SPX990
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Never any problem going off-topic on this forum Jose, we do it all the time :)

Certainly playing synth on a hammer action keybed is not quite as smooth as on a synth action keybed which is why a lot of players go for the semi-weighted option, which is what you have on the SY77. It gives that little bit extra feel that you don't get with simple springy synth type keyboards.

The big plus with a hammer action weighted keybed is the nuances you can introduce into your playing. Often an acoustic sample that sounds just "ok" when played with a synth becomes something outstanding when played on a weighted keybed. It's all about feel and key response. You will notice this when your DGX arrives although it may take you some time to become accustomed to it. Do give yourself a couple of weeks to settle into it.
Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Cabernet DC/Dowina Chardonnay DC/Dowina Rustica GAC/Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Website Design & Managed Hosting www.rabbittree.uk

Return to “Yamaha PSR/PSS/DGX”