Yamaha 10D woods?

APX series guitars are designed with a focus on playability. Their thin bodies and cutaways that provide greater access to the upper frets, offer smoother switching between electric and acoustic instruments.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

Derek M
Great Britain

Yamaha 10D woods?

Unread post by Derek M » Tue May 08, 2018 3:23 pm

yamaha_apx10.png
Yamaha APX10
Anyone know if the 1980s-90s APX 10 ( mine is a stereo model 10D made in Taiwan in 1993) has solid or laminate Sycamore sides and back?

I always assumed solid, but someone has questioned this from the spec description.
The spec says “solid spruce top, back and sides Sycamore” etc etc.

Help much appreciated.
Thanks!

Derek M
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Yamaha 10D woods?

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Usually when a guitar maker produces a guitar that is all solid wood they want to make sure everyone knows it.

When they don't want to mention layered or laminated construction they simply call it rosewood or sycamore or whatever the top layer of the ply is. Best wood is always on at the top because that is where it will be on full view.

For example if you look at the current APX range you will see that the only model where they state that it is all solid construction is the APX1200II. For the others they simply give the name of the wood rather than how it is constructed.

The APX 10 was a top end guitar when it was released so you would "assume" it might be an all solid construction but I have not seen any documentation to confirm that and my guess is the back and sides are layered.

There is a way to tell although it doesn't work 100% for all guitars but. If you turn the guitar over and look at the grain on the back, paying close attention to anything thing that stands out such as where the grain might be thicker etc. Then look inside the guitar and see if you can find the same grain markings. If you can then it is solid wood. If it's different then your looking at layered/laminate.

I should mention that with the APX having a layered back and sides is not as big an issue as it might be for a full size acoustic. The APX was really designed to be plugged in so it doesn't need to project acoustically or benefit from a solid back and sides. It will also be stronger and handle the knocks of life on the road much better than an all solid guitar.

Hope that helps a little?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Derek M
Great Britain

Re: Yamaha 10D woods?

Unread post by Derek M » Tue May 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Saul-thanks for this. Sounds right to me...

Return to “Yamaha APX Guitar Forum”