Apologies for absence and a discovery.

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Uganda

Apologies for absence and a discovery.

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue May 15, 2018 10:04 am

Hi All,

So sorry I haven't been around for a while.
A pretty disastrous kind of bug somehow got installed and caused catastrophic grief to my ancient main Win XP PC.
The effect was that whenever something created a pop-up of some particular kind it invoked a PC switch-off command.
Couldn't figure it out so I've had to recreate everything from scratch on another PC.
It at least has had the effect of moving me from an ancient 4GB XP Acerlaptop to an 8GB Win 7 Lenovo T420.
My biggest fear was that I would no longer be able to use my excellent E-MU 1616m with its cardbus (PCI) interface (no cardbus socket on the T420).
I've got round this by using a StarTech Express Card to CardBus adapter and ... so far so good ... fingers crossed!

Whilst setting up FireFox again I had a good look around for a better anti-tracking and ad blocker extension, one which allowed more control over which sites could do what.
That is, e.g. I could allow the ads here and at other trusted sites but block the flood of ads elsewhere.

The one I found is called "uBlock Origin" the "origin" is important, it's done by the original author.
I'm still finding my way around, but having disabled AdBlock ultimate and another blocker, which I originally had installed, browsing is much quicker.
Firefox starts more quickly and pages load noticeably faster. IMO.
Just thought one or two might like to know.

It sets up with a default sidebar (activity monitor) on the left, but it can be moved or closed if you don't have room for it.
There are quite a few ways of tailoring it in its simple mode, but the advanced user mode can do a lot more.
Of course, I've nothing to do with the organisation, and you use it at your own risk.
It's just a "heads up" on what seems like a useful browsing extension.
(I must admit, I'm getting a bit paranoid about privacy!)

Oh! And good to be back again, at last. :D :D :D

JohnG.
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5 ... and now CFX lite.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Apologies for absence and a discovery.

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 15, 2018 10:20 am

Hi John, good to see you back up and running :) and thanks for the heads up about the ad blocker app. As a publisher I hate these things but as a user they are fantastic! Bit stuck in the middle there but such is life ;)

I recently installed Win7 Ultimate on my iMac via BootCamp and now I know why I don't use Windows! I would have stuck Win10 on there but apparently BootCamp won't work with it on my mac because it's too old? Odd because the tech inside it is pretty much the same as any PC of the time (mid 2010) and my wife's PC which is the same age runs Windows 10 just fine. I guess it comes down to some slight amendments Apple made to the normal PC hardware, the bios on the graphics card for instance is not the same as it's PC equivalent.

Anyway I only use Windows for gaming these days so no real loss in not being able to install Windows 10. Could do with a newer iMac but that will have to wait a while and this one works fine for everything I need.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue May 15, 2018 10:38 am

Hi Saul,

Being a pensioner, cash for a Mac is not exactly plentiful!
As it similarly isn't for a lovely, Southampton based Fusion. Boo hoo!

I've used PCs since they ran on DOS.
I've built them, tested dozens, if not hundreds, of motherboards when an ICL employee, from 286, 386, 386 SX, 486, etc., etc..
So far, I'm pleased with the T420 in its docking station.
As well as numerous ports of all sorts , It has an eSATA port which means I can add an external drive so easily. Great for backups.

The uBlock Origin extension is more than just an ad-blocker it also blocks tracking, e.g. googleanalytics.
I believe these things should always in the user's control in these days of information grabbing.

But, part of being a member of a forum is also supporting it, and that should mean allowing ads as long as they're not over done.

The thing that particularly drew me though is its small memory footprint and efficient code.
Browsing is definitely faster.

JohnG.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5 ... and now CFX lite.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 15, 2018 11:08 am

Well I'm all for protecting people's privacy. It is however a problem for site owners who need to analyse traffic in order to tailor content to what the site visitors are actually interested in. The web is a two way thing and order for most sites to remain free to use they need something back from the people that use them.

It's the same bargain I strike when I want to use gmail for instance. I "allow" google a certain use of my information in return for them giving me a service. All "free" email providers do the same thing and generally speaking I can put up with the small inconvenience of seeing adverts follow me around the web because of something I discussed in an email.

It's a tough one to reconcile because none of us WANT to give away our personal info or our browsing habits but would we then want to pay to access every site on the internet, pay to watch every youtube video and access every image etc? We only get these things for "free" because we give something in return. So in reality they are not free as such but it's a two way bargain we accept....to one degree or another.

I think it comes down to "informed consent" so, as long as the end user knows what is happening with their info and agrees to that use and the publisher holds to that agreement, everything is fine. What has spooked people lately is the "misuse" of people's information. They signed up to one thing and find out their info is being used for something completely different. THAT cannot be allowed and is the main reason people are now gravitating toward more privacy when browsing.

I think we must be of a similar age John? I was also building PC's back in the days of the 286,386,486 and so on. Happy times :)

And I feel your pain over that Fusion 8HD, I really do. Had I the spare cash I would have been over there in a shot! Alas it's not to be, not this time anyway. But then I turn and look at my guitars and things are not so bad after all :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Tue May 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Saul wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:08 am
Well I'm all for protecting people's privacy. It is however a problem for site owners who need to analyse traffic in order to tailor content to what the site visitors are actually interested in.
But you have all the data to analyse your traffic right there on your server, all the data is in your web server log file!

You don't need to let google spy your web site and its visitors, you can just run a web server log file analyser program locally and you get even more accurate info as it includes all traffic that google doesn't 'see' due to adblockers.

Try https://matomo.org/ (the self-hosted version) and you'll see that there is no need for google analytics.
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 15, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks Tux I am well aware I can use the server log files, I have been in this game for 30 years. But that doesn't cut it for advertisers. They want to see Google Analytics and no amount of explaining about log files is going to change that. And as they are the ones forking out the cash they can dictate what analytics they will or won't accept.

I also use AWstats and Webalizer but no one is interested. Partly because of course they can be faked which is a legitimate concern but also because it's just not "the industry standard" and there it is.

So in terms of seeing what users are interested in, AwStats and Webalizer are fine but we still need Google Analytics. I don't like it, I don't even think it's that accurate but that's the state of where we are right now.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Tue May 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Hello again!
Computer Problems in 2018? :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Theme: Old computers! XP,7,Windows 10 and the MAC :mrgreen: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The problem will not exist anymore... in 5-20 years . This way: "Do you still remember - Windows 10?" I hope so.
Until then, there must be an absolutely functioning, safe, self-repairing and self-securing system!
Why - damn it - does not it exist today?
And it should be cheap too. For all those people who do not know wealth - for what reason ever.

For me, it is now a sport (brain training) ... the computer somehow to keep up and alive. You never stop learning!
Again and again there is a new phenomenon - out of nowhere! For ex. CLICK! ... NOTHING Happens!
I say it now for the last time: how is it possible that in 2018 there is no cheap, absolutely safe and totally stable system!
The "VOLKS COMPUTER" as our "BIILD ZEITUNG" would call it. The VOLKS-TABLET (BildZeitung) we already have!
And also the VOLKSWAGEN. A really good simple car.
Primitive but without big problems! And even without! Cooling water and cooling water pump! ((i))

I've learned it: buy yourself an expensive MAC! And the spook is over forever!
(Sorry Saul! ...that was my very last MAC comment! for real! :mrgreen: )
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 15, 2018 5:45 pm

Always happy to talk about Macs purcell ;)

Right now my mac works fine. The "limitations" are only apparent on trying to run Windows on it although I admit for what I use it for (World Of Warcraft) it's not really a problem and I guess I could run most other things on it...but I wouldn't want to and in fact if Blizzard had not decided to make my graphics card redundant in Mac OS for the latest expansion I would not have bothered putting Windows on at all.

The issue is Blizzard have dropped OpenGL support for World Of Warcraft so that means for people with older cards they are basically screwed. The Mac WoW client now only supports 'Metal' which I guess is the mac equivalent of Direct X.

So there we are. As the Windows version of World Of Warcraft still works fine with Direct X 11 my card is fully supported under that OS and hence I turn to BootCamp to solve the problem. Not ideal but cheaper than a new Mac ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue May 15, 2018 7:02 pm

purcell wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:46 pm
Hello again!
Computer Problems in 2018? :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Theme: Old computers! XP,7,Windows 10 and the MAC :mrgreen: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The problem will not exist anymore... in 5-20 years . This way: "Do you still remember - Windows 10?" I hope so.
Until then, there must be an absolutely functioning, safe, self-repairing and self-securing system!
Why - damn it - does not it exist today?
And it should be cheap too. For all those people who do not know wealth - for what reason ever.
Well, who knows where I'll be in 5 to 20 years time. 8O
Maybe no longer using the things. :?
20 years will take me into my nineties. I don't even want to think about that, thanks very much. :cry:
I hope tho', if I am still in the land of the living, that I'm still making music. <->
purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Tue May 15, 2018 7:31 pm

World of warcraft ??? :lol: I have primitive computer problems here :twisted: :roll: ... No thought of a 300 gigabyte 8O games.
I think it's good to own and use 2-4 computers. That can help - in case of problems.
Because of LINUX, I could still go crazy!
Seemingly completely unable to make a simple, primitive LINUX BASE.
For Office, PRINTER !! and the simplest other things. Would be enough for me completely.

5-20 years :evil: :roll: ... this is really a crazy time!
If I'm lucky ... I'm in a crowded retirement home - without a computer.
What they do here in Germany with old people ... is the biggest scandal ever!
Are you rich ... everything is clear and simple! Are you poor ... unfortunately you have bad luck!

For decades, Germany has not thought of the 20 million retirees (bridges, highways roads) ... who have to be housed somewhere sick and old.
At the moment, only the family cares about the grandfather.
Or the totally overburdened old-care service ... comes - very short - to the apartment.
Do you have no family and you are poor and old ...then you need a lot of luck!

Really crazy! Suddenly it is discovered ... the ancient bridges must be repaired - almost all ! Before that, nobody thought of it ???
The same with 20 million retirees (bridges, highways roads)! Where do I live here ???
jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Cayman Islands

Unread post by jima » Tue May 15, 2018 8:03 pm

purcell wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:46 pm
The problem will not exist anymore... in 5-20 years .
I've learned it: buy yourself an expensive MAC! And the spook is over forever!
Honestly, Purcell, I'm glad I don't inhabit your universe. In 20 years time if Windows even still exists it seems very likely most user's computer power will be consumed in trying to defend against cyber-everything. Really!

As for Macs being expensive - please, please, please try to think in terms of cost of ownership, not cost of acquisition. All will then become clear. Windows is NOT your friend.
Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno
Loves keyboards but so little time :(
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Tue May 15, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi, John

Good to see you back.

The thing with a Mac being more expensive, is that it isn't if you can afford the initial outlay (or spread it), as Jima says above, cost of onwership versus cost of acquisition. I am currently running on an iMac that is 7 years old and running as good as my newish PC with Win 10. I think it will be good for another 5 years at least before I need to replace it. And the lack of hassle (it just runs, and runs and runs) is priceless! :) The only thing I have forked out on it is £60 for a memory upgrade last year to give it more memory headroom (plenty of memory is usually more important these days than increases in processor speed).

Good to hear that you 1616M still works. I have a trusty old 1212M (PCI card) and I am not looking forward to the day when I cannot get a PC with a PCI slot, but the fact that you have a solution is good. EMU made some great interfaces! :)
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Tue May 15, 2018 10:12 pm

"Honestly, Purcell, I'm glad I don't inhabit your universe."

I'm really happy about that ... you live in yours!

What is there in 2040, is no longer there or is still there ... nobody knows!
Oh yes! Very harsh climate, worldwide floods and a worldwide lack of drinking water and food are likely to be there!
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 15, 2018 10:35 pm

In 2040 I will be 80 years old and probably just glad to have made it that far! ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Cayman Islands

Unread post by jima » Wed May 16, 2018 11:31 am

purcell wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:12 pm
"Honestly, Purcell, I'm glad I don't inhabit your universe."

I'm really happy about that ... you live in yours!

What is there in 2040, is no longer there or is still there ... nobody knows!
Oh yes! Very harsh climate, worldwide floods and a worldwide lack of drinking water and food are likely to be there!
The Multiverse rules! :)

Not all possible futures are necessarily dystopian. Just look at Star Trek. Don't be such a doom and gloom merchant :roll: be happy while you can!
Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno
Loves keyboards but so little time :(

Return to “Chill Out Room”