PSR-E453 general operating questions

Yamaha's best entry level keyboard for performing various styles of music, from the latest dance to classical and vinyl favourites. 61-keys, touch response, powerful on-board speakers and easy-to-use professional features.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

yul
Canada

PSR-E453 general operating questions

Unread post by yul » Tue May 15, 2018 10:06 pm

yamaha_psr_e453.png
Yamaha PSR-E453
Hello! On my 2nd week with the E453 and having a great time away from my usual computer/VST for jamming and composing.

I am having issues with the main voice volume as it seems to never want to stay at the level I set it.
This is especially true if I switch tones or power cycle the unit.

It seems too that some parameter settings also change during operation (local on/off etc..)
Is there a way to have these not fluctuate over time unless I ask it to?

Also, would anyone have a quick way to access the main voice functions quickly as there does not seem to be a hold/shortcut (only dual/split).
No biggie as I can get there via other means but would like to see if I can get there faster.

Thanks!!
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: PSR-E453 general operating questions

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 am

I would have to check to verify, but I think the Local Control always resets itself to On when you power down and then power up again-- probably to help eliminate possible confusion if someone were to power up the keyboard and not get any sounds because they forgot that they'd turned off the Local Control (or didn't know that someone else had turned it off).

As for the Main Voice Volume, each preset voice has a number of default settings associated with it, such that when you select a voice the keyboard will automatically change the voice- and effects-related parameters to the default settings for that voice. For instance, each voice has a given Reverb Type, Chorus Type, Arpeggio Type, and Dual Voice which have been preselected as being "good choices" for that particular voice. The volume is one of the parameters which has a default value for each voice, so if you select a particular voice to use as the Main Voice then the Main Volume will change automatically to whatever that default setting is, and in some cases it's quite low. For this reason it's always a good idea to check each of the voice- and effects-related settings after you select a given voice, and to never try to change the voice- and effects-related settings until after you've selected the voice(s) you want to use.

Regarding the Function menu, most of the options or parameters do not have shortcuts to them, so you might want to look at the list of functions and see which ones that do have shortcuts are closest to the function you're interested in. For instance, you can hold down the DUAL button to jump to the Dual Voice function, then go backward through the menu until you reach the Main Volume function. Or you can hold down the ACMP button to jump to the Split Point function, then go forward through the menu until you reach the Main Volume function. I don't have the manual in front of me right now, so I can't see which function that can be shortcut to is closest to the Main Volume function.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha PSR-E433, PSR-E443, YPT-400, PSR-EW400
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Past keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611, Casio CTK-710
yul
Canada

Unread post by yul » Wed May 16, 2018 4:18 am

Hello great to hear from you!

I have managed to program into a register some of the volume settings I like to have by default when auditioning sounds but not sure how this wll hold up. Anyhow, ultimately volume will be set in my DAW via CC for each channel so I won't have to bother once it's in a track and off the scratchpad.

The registers seem to be a good way to recall some settings although local off to your earlier point is probably left out for good reason.
I think setting main volume towards 0 in a register will work just fine for midi/arps/harmonies sent to DAW on another channel for recording midi+audio.

It's interesting that with a bit of patience this little kit is quite capable.

So all is well now I am very glad you have been quite helpful and hopefully will also assist others in getting going with a similar setup.

Have a great day!
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed May 16, 2018 6:13 am

I don't know why I didn't think to mention it before, but Local Control is listed in the MIDI Reference, so the PSR-E453 should let you turn it on and off via MIDI, although I've never tried that myself.

EDIT: In fact, I think turning Local Control off-- either via MIDI or manually in the Function menu-- would be better than turning the Main Volume to 0, because even though the Main Volume is 0 the keyboard will still send the notes to the tone generators to be sounded, so it will use up some of the polyphony unnecessarily. The exception would be if you turned off the Touch Sensitivity and turned the Main Volume all the way down to 0, because when the Touch Sensitivity is turned off I believe the Note On velocities for a given channel are set equal to the Channel Volume, hence the Note On events will have velocities of 0 and will be interpreted as Note Off events. But then the keyboard wouldn't be velocity-sensitive, so that's not good. :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha PSR-E433, PSR-E443, YPT-400, PSR-EW400
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Past keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611, Casio CTK-710

Return to “Yamaha PSR E-453 and E-463 Forum”