Logic Pro X with DGX-640 – how to use XG sounds?

All Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules and Instruments Not Covered By Their Own Section

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

maveric2
Australia

Logic Pro X with DGX-640 – how to use XG sounds?

Unread post by maveric2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:18 am

Hi all,

I’m trying to use XG sounds installed in my keyboard. I created an External MIDI track, but whatever bank I choose (0,1,3,4 etc.), Logic Pro X still plays GM sound. How can I access my DGX-640’s huge sound bank?

Please help!

MacbookPro 13-inch, Mid 2010
macOS High Sierra 10.13.2
Logic Pro X 10.3.2
Yamaha DGX-640 (2010)
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Logic Pro X with DGX-640 – how to use XG sounds?

Unread post by Saul » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:13 am

Hi maveric2, welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

I know you have been waiting a few days for a response so I apologise for the delay.

XG is of course Yamaha's "extended midi" implementation which increases the sounds available from 128 to over 600. It also brings in a lot of controllers that were not available in standard midi. This allows the composer to add subtleties and nuances to the music.

I don't have Logic installed at the moment and I also don't have a keyboard with Yamaha XG in it but if I remember correctly Logic Pro does recognise XG instruments and there should be a setting in there which I think you need to turn on in order to get the correct play back. It's been a very long time though so I would need to look at it again. If I can clear some space from my hard drive I will install Logic later and take a look but...what you want to do should work.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:41 pm

I started to reply the other day, but I couldn't find a user manual for Logic Pro-- which I'm unfamiliar with-- and from what little pertinent information I could find where people were asking similar questions in the Logic Pro forums, it looked like you need to define custom user banks for patches, so I thought it best to let a Mac user who has experience with Logic Pro answer the question.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
jnm2
Belgium

Unread post by jnm2 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:26 pm

A bit late maybe, but I subscribed late too, so. :)
I don't know the DGX-640, but you most probably need to use bank and program select messages.
It's mostly a combination of 3 messages, often it is bankselect 0 with value x, followed by bankselect 32 with value x, followed by a program change with value x.
This should help (even to look further on the www...).

Return to “Other Yamaha Keyboards/Modules & Equipment”