RE: Suitable Replacement For 25 Year Old Sennheiser Headphones (help?)

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

RE: Suitable Replacement For 25 Year Old Sennheiser Headphones (help?)

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:39 pm

Hi folks,

My pair of Sennheiser 'HD400 II' headphones are sadly on their last-legs. They have served me well for over 25 years. I originally paid £50 for them brand new.

Over the past 2 years, I have replaced the cable and also the foam-ears, but unfortunately the one of the actual ears is breaking-up now. It would be silly to try and carry them any further; and so I will just try and flog them as 'spares' on eBay.

I emailed Sennheiser to see if they still produce them as I would have purchased the exact same pair again. But, alas, they are long since discontinued.

Here is the pair (I need to replace) in an eBay listing by a seller in the US. Mine are exactly the same:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Sennhei ... SwKPxa190K

I have always called this type 'on ears'. But nowadays you only seem to be able to get 'over ears' or 'in ears'. I would like the same 'ear-type' as the above mentioned if possible.

Sennheiser offered me their 'HD5' range as a suitable alternative, but I think these are very different (not my style really, upon first glance):

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/around-ear ... reo-hd-559

Also, I would like to keep the price around the £50/60 range if possible. Their purpose will be a means for me listening to my self-ripped FLAC library of my hard-copy CD collection on an 'Amazon Fire Tablet' device. And possibly for listening to music on the train, or out hiking, via my Sony 'NZW mp3 Walkman'.

(I already own a pair of semi-open flat-response Beyer-Dynamics solely for monitoring/mixing/Cubase etc. - costing £250)

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.

Paul
Fender Rhodes Suitcase / Fender Rhodes Stage / MiniMoog Model D / MultiMoog / Hohner E7 Clavinet / Yamaha DX7 (Mk1), DX21 & DX27 / Roland Juno 6 / Korg Poly_61.

Mackie SRM 350 (pair), Fender DeVille, Yamaha HS7 (pair), BeyerDynamic DT880 Headphones (250 Ohm).

Cubase 9.5 / Sibelius 8.5

Dell Inspiron N5040, Windows 10 Home, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, 2.13gHz, Service Pack 1.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: RE: Suitable Replacement For 25 Year Old Sennheiser Headphones (help?)

Unread post by parametric » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:17 am

Hi Paul,

Sennheisers always have been good. My old ones (HD320) were On-Ear, but I replaced them with these:

https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/produ ... ancelling/

Very happy with them - might even get a second pair at this price (£50)

If you check at the bottom of the AD, i did a review . . . .

The noise cancellation is a bonus - but I REALLY LIKED the standard 3.5mm "lead" . . . .

Sennheiser replacement leads are damn expensive . . ..

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:32 pm

I prefer over ear type headphones so can't really comment about the on ear type. I like the sound isolation of the over ear design.

Currently using a pair of Yamaha HPH-MT5 which do the job nicely but they are around the £80 mark. Might have to get a bunch of different headphones in and do some testing.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi Chris,

I took a look at your link and also read your review, thanks.

It was interesting to hear that you also used to own Sennheisers; and that you agree they are quite excellent. But yes, their design of cable/fitting is a PITA! I have actually never seen this type anywhere else; and as you say, it makes repairing/replacing that much more difficult/expensive.

It is a great shame though that the original design of their ear-pieces has since been replaced. I found them to be second-to-none.

Ta,

Paul
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Hi Saul,

Cheers for the link.

Without wishing to sound stubborn, for every-day-listening I do not particularly like the (ear) design of yourself and Chris's phones (just a personal thing). I don't like the noise-cancellation feature very much either; I find my ears get tired quite quickly and to be honest, I don't mind the sound of the surrounding 'ambience' - removing this makes the listening experience less-'natural' for me. However, I do find this feature suitable when mixing/recording (as long as you take breaks every half hour or so).

Ta,

Paul
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Two Sennheiser models here >= £100 . . . .

https://www.richersounds.com/catalogsea ... sennheiser

Some really silly prices further down . . . . 8O

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi,

These looked OK, but it appears that they are wireless only!?:

https://www.richersounds.com/sennheiser ... hones.html

Why would one want the mobile phone connected to their headphones so that when it rings they can respond via the wireless connectivity? To me, that just defeats the whole object of sitting down and listening to music!

Ta,

Paul
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:17 pm

Yeah, that's incredibly ANNOYING.

Not everything is appropriate for Wireless.

Batteries have terminals. Terminals GET corroded. NO BATTERIES= you stop work - and the device becomes a doorstop -

and at THOSE prices - it's not going to happen (As far as I'M concerned).

It's even getting hard to buy a basic USB optical MOUSE these days . . . . . :x

I HAVE a wireless mouse. It's at the bottom of a drawer somewhere - after I saw how QUICK it went through batteries . . . .

Sorry - But NO. . . . .

Chris

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi Chris,

Some people probably think wireless headphones are great.

I think it is totally stupid when you see businessmen wearing those plastic attachments on one ear; and them having a work-conversation while they are walking down the street!

Paul
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:01 am

Umm . . . .

I actually DO have a bluetooth earpiece - FOR ONE VERY GOOD REASON.

I use it when driving IN CASE 'er indoors phones me while I'm driving.

It auto answers the phone, and hangs up when She disconnects.

The Phone remains in my pocket.

My Nokia 6300 is only semi-smart - it bluetooths to my earpiece AND to my TomTom, and that's the total of the smart features I use.

Chris

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:27 am

Me too for Sennheiser headphones.
Although I can't bear the ones that press on the ears. ... personal taste.

Mine are the HD600's. I've had them long enough to have replaced the foam surround too.
The headpiece band will need renewing before too long.
Incidentally whilst perusing Amazon I noticed that there are loads of compatible cable supposedly upgrades you can get.
Ever feel tempted? No, not me.
Besides, in my advancing years I'm not sure I'd hear any difference, even if there was any.

But what to buy for around 50 quid? There's a real dilemma.
I had a look around but nothing jumped out at me.
AT, Beyer, Sennheiser? Hmmm!

P.S.Just discovered.
The "What Hi-Fi" web site has a headphone review where you can set filters to refine the choice of reviwed items a bit.
The Sennheiser HD 202 did okay, I notice.
Last edited by SysExJohn on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5 ... and now CFX lite.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:29 am

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:36 pm
Hi Chris,

Some people probably think wireless headphones are great.

I think it is totally stupid when you see businessmen wearing those plastic attachments on one ear; and them having a work-conversation while they are walking down the street!

Paul
Ahh but you have to keep in mind Paul that we all sort of live within our own worlds. For a businessman with a bluetooth earpiece connected to their phone it makes perfect sense. In THEIR world it is not odd at all. Only when viewed from our perspective does it look a bit daft. Likewise they would probably consider our devotion to keyboards and guitars as frivolous and time wasting...for them time is money and they can't allow for a different perspective.

So it all depends on which "bubble" you live in...if you see what I mean? ;)

Having said that, you CAN buy wireless headphones and NOT pair them with a phone. It's the bluetooth capability that is important because that allows you not only to connect a phone but also to wirelessly connect to your music...if of course your music gear is bluetooth enabled.

It's up to you what you pair the device with :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:32 pm

Hi Chris,

I leave my phone on silent and out of my way when I am driving. I find it's bleeping too distracting and potentially dangerous. I can appreciate than I am in the minority though.

Ta,

Paul
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi John,

Yes, the foam does rapidly wear away on the Sennheisers. Seems to be a common fault.

I agree, it would cost around £50 on spares to get a duff pair up and running again.

I think I need to visit a local store and physically try out some models.

Incidentally, mine are up for sale on eBay now!:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113102403544 ... 1555.l2649

Ta,

Paul
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Saul,

I am a musician and not a businessman, so I guess that is the difference. I would still rather be who I am though - despite the lesser income.

Regarding the wireless aspect: surely the quality of the audio will diminish if the music is being transmitted from the playing device to the headphones (as opposed to just travelling along a cable)? And so, why spent over £100 on a pair of great quality phones when the quality of the music (sound) is being compromised!?

Just my thoughts.

Ta,

Paul

Return to “Chill Out Room”